“Wells Inn”
Review of The Wells Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sistersville
The Wells Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sistersville B&B and Inns
Springfield, Missouri
“Wells Inn”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I was born & raised in the Sistersville area and can remember when the Wells Inn was really nice. I was shocked when I walked in and found that the check in desk were 2 card tables with a pc on it. Lots of junk and papers all over the floor behind it. Lady wanted us to pay upon check-in for our 2 night stay. Never had to do that before! She was rude and very unfriendly. Never told us that breakfast was included---which was the best part of this experience. The beautiful dark wood crown and trim has been painted white! Rooms are very plain. The loveseat cushions were so worn out that you would sink way down. Had a office chair and a old plastic bench covered with a brown hand towel in the tv room. Bathroom was extremely small and old. 2 bedrooms with full size beds. One room had a dresser. Rooms not insulated well--you can hear people walking and talking outside room. They have a lot of work to do. It's sad to see this great old hotel that was once a true gem in this condition. I don't think they have much experience with running a hotel and it shows. Told room would be ready by 3-3:30pm. Checked in at 4 and she told us they needed another 30 mins! Had made reservation over a month ago. It's definitely not the W in Atlanta! Could be very charming again, but the frumpy lady at the desk unfortunately makes all the decorating decisions. The food is excellent and they give you plenty of it. Wait staff in dining room excellent. They need some hotel management courses.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank wvugal82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I am happy to be able to report that the Wells Inn is making a fantastic comeback. I started going to the inn during the 1960s when it was the elegant "in place" in northern West Virginia. However, in recent years this building which is on the National Register of Historic Places, fell in disrepair and was in danger of being lost. Now, with the new and very competent management, the process of restoring the inn to its former glory is well under way. While the restoration project may take a while, the one thing that is already restored is the reputation for the food at the Wells Inn. A talented new chef is preparing meals that can be easily be compared with those served in the fine dining establishment of New York and my hometown of Washington, DC. At the present time you are welcome to bring your own wine as the inn is still in the process of obtaining its alcohol beverage license. It was certainly worth the five hour drive to spend an evening at the Wells Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Mike H
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I am a native West Virginian and grew up in Wetzel county. A friend who grew up in New Martinsville told me about the inn. I visit my dad who lives,across the river in Ohio. I called early evening for a room I was accommodated. Late that night I was looking for the inn and passed the street I was to turn on. I called for directions the night clerk came outside and stood on corner to make sure I found the inn. Then walked across the street where I parked to help with my over night bag. I checked in she escorted me to my room which is original decor. Breakfast was delious and cheery dining room. To my surprise was included in the room charge. I met the owner who personally gave me a tour of the renovations. I will stay there each visit to my dad. Which is 2 or more times a year. Sisterville as well as many places in Wva is rich with history.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank wvahome59
KENNEWICK
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I remember the Inn in the 60s - it was elegant for formal occasions. It was quite the place, and a little pricey for meals in such a small town, but there were a few places in Sistersville, like the Wells Inn that demonstrated class, elegance, and the wealth that was once a part of the area. Growing up in Sistersville made you feel wealthy whether you were or not, just being a part of a town that represents "oil." From the more than enough banks, to the Opera House, to Henerman Bros., etc., you just couldn't overlook that the people of Sistersville have pride in their town, and their heritage runs deep in them. I usually make my yearly or twice a year visit to Sistersville to see my family. This last time I met the new owners from New York, with their New York type way. They are working hard to restore the hotel since the last owner let it go. The room we stayed in was cozy, the breakfast was amazing and huge (it came with the room), and the help has always been typical West Virginia hospitality. We discovered they have their own baker who makes huge cookies of all types and anything you'd like. I actually think his baking was my favorite thing. I'm told the Pub is next in restoration but we have no interest in that. They were working to obtain internet service and had it in the lobby. Residents of the town want the pool restored first. I hope that the owners will continue their huge effort at restoring the Wells Inn and be patient with small town folk. They are use to the New York rat race but Sistersville people can teach you a lot about family and enjoying life. Don't get me wrong the people in Sistersville are classy people, they just know how to be kind to everyone and how to relax and enjoy. People in Sistersville stick together, so if you are going to make it in Sistersville, you need to understand the people and respect them. You will be glad you did. Sistersville people are people you can trust who mean what they say. Hopefully, the new city owners will learn what's so special about Sistersville, the people, and learn from them.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bestgetaway
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 19 November 2010

First of all, the pictures on the website are not what this place looks like now. Upon entering we discovered concrete floors with renovations going on. We were not informed when we called to make reservations that they were undergoing renovations. Upon entering, one of the owners greeted us and was not friendly at all. Granted we were a little shocked to see where we were staying and commented on the state of flooring, but he did nothing to ease our wariness. When we asked him to recommend a nice family restaurant he told us he only eats at home where his wife cooks for him and then said he could only recommend a pizza place nearby, he never mentioned any of the restaurants a little further down the road. Maybe once the renovations are completed it will be a nicer place, but in the mean time, I would recommend finding a different place. We ended up staying down the road at the Amerihost Inn. Even the outside of the Inn looks different than the pictures on the web. They need to make sure people know this is a work in progress.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank MrsWilky1

Travellers are raving about these Sistersville hotels

Friendly, West Virginia
Reviewed 24 October 2010

The reviews on this site are pretty old and things do change. With new AMERICAN owners, the Wells Inn is presently under complete renovation. Even so, there are clean, comfortable rooms with great rates available now. (2010) In the near future there will be a restaurant, a pool/workout area, and a lounge on site. Check it out on facebook for current information.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WVgranny
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My friends and I just stayed here recently to attend the Marble Festival. Under new ownership, the Wells is slowly being turned back into the Victorian jewel that it once was. We have stayed here several times over the years and we are thrilled that people who really care about the hotel and the town are bringing it back. The owner even arranged carriage rides for the guests one day!

There is clearly a lot of work going on, but we didn't mind the rough edges. It's interesting to see it at this stage and we look forward to coming back for the grand opening in January.

Sistersville is just one of those quaint friendly little towns that you could see yourself moving to and we wish the new owners much success.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank cwaldo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sistersville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham New Martinsville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 5 in New Martinsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Martinsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#2 of 5 in New Martinsville
Comfort Suites Marietta
Comfort Suites Marietta
#3 of 11 in Marietta
The Orchard Bed and Breakfast
Travelers' Inn
Travelers' Inn
#3 of 5 in New Martinsville

Been to The Wells Inn? Share your experiences!