All reviewssmall kitchenetteslope sidetwo burner stovecoffee makerfills up fastjunior studiomini fridgegear storagesame buildingkey cardrental shopwe've stayedwi fisnowshoe resortsinkbedslopes
Reviewed 29 December 2011

You can't beat the location of this property. It was perfect for getting around the slopes, the kids' ski school, and the village. Not convenient for anything beyond Allegheny Springs. When we first got there, it was amazing, however, it soon turned down hill. We were on slop side. It's amazing to see what is going on around you. Being on that side, though, you can hear every little noise of the machines maintaining the slopes, the snow mobile tours at night and the drunk idiots who think skiing is fun drunk and in the dark. We also had the kids with us so we used the pull out couch...it takes up the entire space the room had. Had to keep it folded up while not in use. The kitchenette was pretty worthless. The room smelled like urine when the air freshener wore off. The windows opened without a screen thanks to a previous renter, which was cool for us adults but not for kids. (It was fun to sit in window and watch my family ski by when I was done with my skiing). The ski lockers were nice to have but they didn't hold much once you get ski boots in there. It's hard to maneuver around in the locker room. Dryers on the first floor were only .75c which was nice. We will stay there again for the convenience but now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Slope side is great for the view but bring ear plugs for night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights in December 2011. The best thing about Expedition Station is location, which is at the central area of the resort, close to the schools and lifts, and close the village shops and restaurants.

On to the negatives. The room was quite small. Even with two people, we felt cramped. As others have noted, the bed is a bad joke. It was low and just a mattress, and reminds me of the futon I slept on when I was in college, not some upscale ski resort. Speaking of the bed -- the corners of the frames are dangerous. There is a metal cap on the corners, and these caps on our bed were falling off, and I stubbed my toe on them twice while walking through the crowded room. It seemed like they were going for the Scandinavian look inside the room, but it wasn't very appealing to us. I'm not sure what the daily service provided, since they didn't always make the bed and never gave us more coffee. The kitchenette is functional, but very small, and there is no dishwasher, so you have to wash your dishes by hand.

You have to store your skis and snowboards in the locker room on the first floor. This wasn't explained very well to me at check in (just a passing mention of a combination, and not that we were required to store our stuff there or where the lockers were located). When we got to Expedition Station, it took me a long time to find the lockers. The locker room is tiny and crammed with lockers for everyone in the building, and therefore it would get crowded if there were more than a few people there. There is only one small bench to sit on. The lock is a combination lock, so you have to memorize the combination or take the paper with you.

The staff at the resort was hit or miss, mostly miss. Parking is a big problem there, and the directions they provided at check in were confusing (and wrong) and required a follow-up call to figure out where I was supposed to park (across the street, since the lot for the building was completely full). Overall, we found the staff to be unresponsive and indifferent.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank va_trailrunner
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I loved the Expedition Station. It is right on the slope. Doesn't get any better than this. They have ski lockers on the ground floor which is very convenient. The rooms are very clean and modern with big screen tv and modern furniture. The small kitchen is more than enough for a weekend getaway.

If it weren't for the bed, I'd give this a 5 star rating. The top of the mattress of the bed is literally about 8 inches from the ground. Deep knee bends in the middle of the night to use the bathroom or first thing in the morning it's no problem but if you don't...I recommend sleeping on the bed.

Okay, the bed again. There is no box spring. It is a mattress laid on a sheet of plywood box. It is hard as a rock. Some people like hard, not me. If you don't I recommend sleeping on the couch.

Other than the bed, I'd say the place was absolutely great.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank snnoopy
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Slopeside AND in the middle of the village. So convenient to not have to get in the car or a crowded bus to get from here to there. They have lockers right downstairs where you can secure your gear and the ticket office is also directly in front of the back entrance. Finding a parking spot was a little tough even at the end of the season, and there is no place to directly drive up to load/unload.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2011

The staff can be REALLY friendly, but not too helpful. At the front desk, we asked where the gear locker room was and their simple answer was "at Expedition Station". Of course, once you get there, there are no signs or maps that indicate that the locker room was on the 1st floor.
We asked for extra pillows and a comforter in the morning, and we got it the NEXT morning.
Now, the mattresses: if you are tired after a great snowboarding/skiing day, dont expect to come back to sleep on a nice bed. Not only they are 2 or 3 inches thick, but you will also feel every single spring of the mattress.
We all left the ski resort in pain, but not because of the snowboarding but because of the HORRIBLE beds.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends