All reviewssmall kitchenetteslope sidetwo burner stovecoffee makerfills up fastjunior studiomini fridgegear storagesame buildingkey cardrental shopwe've stayedwi fisnowshoe resortsinkbedslopes
Reviewed 2 January 2012

As most have previously noted, Expedition Station is all about location. It is the closest hotel/condo to the central ski area. Most important for those of you interested in lessons and/or with small children, it is right in front of the ski school drop-off and associated "magic carpet ride." It doesn't get any more convenient than this. Our 5 and 7 year old's had never skiied before, so we had them heavily involved in lessons. Carrying all of their gear, and having them walk with clunky ski shoes, helmets, etc..., would have been a big pain, had it not been for our location. We literally took the elevator down from our room, walked out of the lobby, turned right, walked about 15 yards, and we were at the ski school. This was priceless.
Now, on to our stay. We stayed with 2 other families (so 6 adults, 5 children) in a 3 bedroom place, with beautiful views of the slopes/mountains. Yes, we were a little crammed, but this was our doing (lots of people). We had 1 king, 2 queens, and 3 full bathrooms. We also had a pull-out sofa in the den, a small dining area, and a full kitchen. The "master bedroom" contained the king bed, and had just enough floor space for 2 single inflatable mattresses. We managed fine. Yes, the beds aren't great, but more than adequate. Important points: no box springs, low to the ground, ours didn't have a mattress pad, and our sheet wasn't fitted and not really big enough to cover the bare mattress (so when you turned over in the middle of the night, you may find yourself lying on bare mattress). But everyone, every night, slept very well -- hard not to when you are so tired from the fantastic skiing.
The kitchen was fine, with a fridge that made ice, a full over, a microwave, a sink, and a dishwasher. TV was a flat screen, and we could tune into the major networks, plus things like CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, and a I think even Showtime. All of the bedrooms had TVs too.
So the actual room was acceptable, not fantastic. But what was really special about the place was location. We could ski literally right out of our first floor ski locker, and our kids were so close to the ski school. And we were in the Village, close to shops, restaurants, and Starbucks (great for my wife!). Parking was not confusing, as others have noted. There was a small parking lot right next to hotel (which fronted the ski school); this was full, as the front desk person had warned us. So they clearly told us to park across the street, in a lot with a gate (she gave us the pass that would open the gate). Instructions on how to get to our hotel and park were very clear, so I found that check-in was seamless and helpful.
One last thing: our family was essentially first-time skiiers, and particularly our 5 and 7 year old girls had never been on skis before. Our ski school experience was fantastic! The teachers were, across the board, fantastic. The kids loved each of their instructors (mostly young guys in their early to mid 20's, it seemed), and left ski school each day begging for more. Both girls finished our 4 day vacation pretty much able to ski, and more importantly, begging to go back to Snowshoe. We didn't predict (but had certainly hoped) that it would go this well. I have the Snowshoe ski school to thank for this, and our proximity to it in Expedition Station ultimately defined our vacation experience. We will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: we loved our view of the skiing, so you might request slopeside views (we had not). the other side looks onto the village and mountains beyond (probably fine as well).
2  Thank ShortPumpFamily
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The location was great and the view was terrific, but the room was tiny and the bed was the most back-breaking experience I've ever encountered. The dining in the village was not very good considering how pricey it was. The skiing experience, however, was thoroughly enjoyable considering we were first-timers.

1  Thank Kristine M
Reviewed 29 December 2011

You can't beat the location of this property. It was perfect for getting around the slopes, the kids' ski school, and the village. Not convenient for anything beyond Allegheny Springs. When we first got there, it was amazing, however, it soon turned down hill. We were on slop side. It's amazing to see what is going on around you. Being on that side, though, you can hear every little noise of the machines maintaining the slopes, the snow mobile tours at night and the drunk idiots who think skiing is fun drunk and in the dark. We also had the kids with us so we used the pull out couch...it takes up the entire space the room had. Had to keep it folded up while not in use. The kitchenette was pretty worthless. The room smelled like urine when the air freshener wore off. The windows opened without a screen thanks to a previous renter, which was cool for us adults but not for kids. (It was fun to sit in window and watch my family ski by when I was done with my skiing). The ski lockers were nice to have but they didn't hold much once you get ski boots in there. It's hard to maneuver around in the locker room. Dryers on the first floor were only .75c which was nice. We will stay there again for the convenience but now we know what to expect.

Room Tip: Slope side is great for the view but bring ear plugs for night.
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights in December 2011. The best thing about Expedition Station is location, which is at the central area of the resort, close to the schools and lifts, and close the village shops and restaurants.

On to the negatives. The room was quite small. Even with two people, we felt cramped. As others have noted, the bed is a bad joke. It was low and just a mattress, and reminds me of the futon I slept on when I was in college, not some upscale ski resort. Speaking of the bed -- the corners of the frames are dangerous. There is a metal cap on the corners, and these caps on our bed were falling off, and I stubbed my toe on them twice while walking through the crowded room. It seemed like they were going for the Scandinavian look inside the room, but it wasn't very appealing to us. I'm not sure what the daily service provided, since they didn't always make the bed and never gave us more coffee. The kitchenette is functional, but very small, and there is no dishwasher, so you have to wash your dishes by hand.

You have to store your skis and snowboards in the locker room on the first floor. This wasn't explained very well to me at check in (just a passing mention of a combination, and not that we were required to store our stuff there or where the lockers were located). When we got to Expedition Station, it took me a long time to find the lockers. The locker room is tiny and crammed with lockers for everyone in the building, and therefore it would get crowded if there were more than a few people there. There is only one small bench to sit on. The lock is a combination lock, so you have to memorize the combination or take the paper with you.

The staff at the resort was hit or miss, mostly miss. Parking is a big problem there, and the directions they provided at check in were confusing (and wrong) and required a follow-up call to figure out where I was supposed to park (across the street, since the lot for the building was completely full). Overall, we found the staff to be unresponsive and indifferent.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank va_trailrunner
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I loved the Expedition Station. It is right on the slope. Doesn't get any better than this. They have ski lockers on the ground floor which is very convenient. The rooms are very clean and modern with big screen tv and modern furniture. The small kitchen is more than enough for a weekend getaway.

If it weren't for the bed, I'd give this a 5 star rating. The top of the mattress of the bed is literally about 8 inches from the ground. Deep knee bends in the middle of the night to use the bathroom or first thing in the morning it's no problem but if you don't...I recommend sleeping on the bed.

Okay, the bed again. There is no box spring. It is a mattress laid on a sheet of plywood box. It is hard as a rock. Some people like hard, not me. If you don't I recommend sleeping on the couch.

Other than the bed, I'd say the place was absolutely great.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple