All reviewssmall kitchenetteslope sidetwo burner stovecoffee makerfills up fastjunior studiomini fridgegear storagesame buildingkey cardrental shopwe've stayedwi fisnowshoe resortsinkbedslopes
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I spent 3 nights at the Expedition Station when I participated in the 2017 USAC Mountain Bike Championship held July 17-23, 2017. It's located right in the heart of what they call the village so walking distance to shops and restaurants.

It was a little confusing on where to check in as there's no lobby at the Expedition Station and even the Snowshoe website is unclear. It turned out that check-in was at the Mountain Lodge. Official check-in time is 5pm and don't expect to get in a room much sooner than that.

I was staying in a Junior Deluxe Studio which had 1 queen size bed, a futon sofa, and small kitchenette. "Deluxe" means the equipment and furnishings are newer than in their junior studio. The room itself wasn't much bigger than a standard motel room. However, I was traveling solo so there was plenty of room for me and probably fine for 2 people. I think it would be tight squeezing in another 1-2 people though. There was a long desk/dresser with several drawers and a flat screen TV. The kitchenette was furnished with a small microwave, 2-burner cook top, and refrigerator, plus dishes, utensils, etc. Also included was a coffee maker and toaster. Bathroom was nice and included a tub shower and there was a nice supply of bath towels (I think I counted 8).

One thing I learned is as a cost reduction daily housekeeping service is not provided, so if you're messy and/or expecting someone else to clean up you'll have to pay extra. It was $22/day for fresh towels and trash emptied and $40/day if you want full maid service. I didn't have a problem with this because I didn't have to worry about hiding and/or locking up valuables and I'm also not messy.

Another thing I learned is Snowshoe is part of the National Radio Quite Zone, meaning no cell phone or wi-fi coverage. It's a 13,000 square mile area covering the eastern part of WV. However, there was wi-fi at the lodging (you needed a password to log-on) and if you have AT&T cell service (it's the only provider available) you'll have spotty coverage. I was able to connect to the lodging's wi-fi for internet use but I wasn't able to set up my phone for wi-fi calling. Next time I would look into either an AT&T calling card or one of their prepaid phones. There is a land line in the room and supposedly free long distance.

Parking is across the street in a general public lot. You're given a hang tag to put on your rear view mirror. I believe there is an unloading zone close to the front door, however, it was blocked when I was there because of the bike race.

You need your key card to unlock the front door to the building so it seemed secure.

Snowshoe is a very remote area so there's no running to the store to pick up things you forgot. There's a very small "convenience" store with limited stock on top of the mountain so it's wise to bring anything you think you'll need before arriving. The closest grocery store is about an hour away.

Despite my average review if I return to Snowshoe I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Snowshoe was packed so there were only a few rooms available so we took a room at this condo. The barren, small lobby smelled weird as did the hallway to our room. The room was small but had a decent view. That's all of the positives. I ran a Wet One over the little end tables and got not dust bunnies but dust feathers!! There was a big wad of gum stuck to the front of the telephone. What looked like milk was all over the front of the dark gray mini kitchen cabinet. I tried to wipe it off but it was hardened on the wood.
The carpet had bits of trash on it...I could go on and on. What's worse is we were told this unit had just been cleaned! Stay away from this place!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

We checked in at 1PM, we alerted the front desk that the room had 2 light bulbs out, broken remotes and A DIRTY AIR FILTER that is so dirty I am sneezing as soon as we entered!!! So Nasty!!! After 2 hrs I called back.... then at 730PM I called again and was transferred to "JANE" the manager. I explained the problem and was given the standard "we alerted the staff" ........she did NOT care and did NOT apologize at all!!!!!

The furniture is WORN OUT and the cleanliness is way below par. They should rent this place by the hour for parties.

I will never bring my family back here. Management needs to be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Highlyrespected
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

We spent a weekend getaway at Snowshoe and booked Expedition Station for its central location to the slopes and within the village. That aspect was fantastic!

However, this place is no more than a cheap budget motel. When we arrived, our room was a decent size (300 sq ft), and technically had all the amenities described by the resort website. However, there is a huge difference between having something and being useful.

First... the furniture: extremely outdated, worn, and needing serious replacement. Carpets were disgusting, and fixtures were easily 20 years old. The bed was perhaps the worst part. In our unit, there was a pull down bed hidden in a wall cabinet that converts to a table. The cabinet itself was damaged severely. We weren't sure the "bed" would pull down. When we did manage to pull it down, it was easily the worst "mattress-like" piece of furniture imaginable. Thin, worn, and hard as the floor. Don't expect a decent night's sleep after your slope side fun.

The linens/blankets were non-existent, and we had to hunt for the extras that were reserved for the pull out couch. When we got those blankets out, the comforter had a 2 foot in diameter coffee stain. Pillows were flat and scarce.

Basically, if you're planning a stay here, come to enjoy the slopes and tire yourself out so much that your accommodations don't matter.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2017

Expedition Station is great if you want to stay close to Snowshoe Village and be walking distance to the slopes. Found the room to be perfect for a one night stay. The amenities included, TV (with connectivity to YouTube, Amazon, NetFlix etc), DVD Player, Coffee maker, small kitchenette (microwave, 2 burner stove, sink, dishes, silverware, dish soap). Bathroom was plenty big with everything you need.

Just be aware that there are snow machines on the slope side of the building and they are loud. Personally found them to be a nice white noise for sleeping. If you are on that side of the building make sure you check for an amazing sunrise.

Checking in: You have to check in at Alleghany Springs

Parking: Expedition Station has a small private lot close to Expedition Station, that lot fills up fast and you will need your room key to access it. If that lot is full you have to park across the road in the main parking area. Though you are able to unload your car near the parking lot.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple