“Rim Fire Vaction”

Rimfire Lodge Condos
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed for 3 days to visit the area where my Father grew up. The Condo was very clean and a nice size. It’s right in the town area. We visited the local towns in the day, and ate in town at night. My kids had a blast.

I recomend the Cranberry Glades, Droop Mt Battle field, Richwood, an the mountians around the resort.

Also take a fishing pole (in the summer) Best fishing in the east coast.

I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: First floor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jdland

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed at the Rimfire Lodge in Snowshoe in late Feb, 2012 with my wife. We come to Snowshoe periodically, including one trip in Jan with our kids (see my review of Mountain Lodge for that one). This one was just the two of us. Perhaps I'm a little biased because I enjoy our time away so much, but I was really happy with the accommodations at Rimfire.

What I liked:
Location - Can't beat a spot right in the center of the village! Everything (slopes, food, shopping, activities) were a very short walk away. And, the indoor access to Starbucks was great when it was cold out at 7AM.

Room - Clean, with a comfortable bed and enough room for the 2 of us. We stayed in a Junior Studio because it was cheap. Not much of a kitchen in here if you're planning to stay a long time, but we had breakfast and lunch in there (cereal and sandwiches, mostly). We had planned on dinner out each night (did I mention the kids weren't with us?) which worked out perfectly. The Junction is awesome!

Ski storage and underground parking - Everything is right downstairs. No wet skis in the room, no digging the car out if it snows. One tip - the garage floor is filthy (it's a garage, right?), so if you plan to change your shoes/socks into ski boots make sure you do it INSIDE your car. I learned this the hard way. Nothing a little soap can't handle, though.

The only annoying thing I found out about Rimfire has to do with the security system. Basically, you have to use a room key to access the building, even to get into the common areas. This isn't a "bad" thing per se, since the intention is really about keeping us safe. But, I found it to be really annoying to have to fumble with gloves and zipped pockets to get my room card out while balancing skis and poles. Kind of a pain, and honestly the only time I didn't have my key I just waited and tailgated behind someone else. So, it's really not adding too much value. One more little thing... When you check out of your room, your keys are deactivated. If you choose to ski that last day before driving home, get ready for a little hassel getting back to the parking garage after skiing. The nice lady at Starbucks told us this happens all the time, so make sure you know how to get around to the parking garage even if you don't have your key.

Overall, I really liked this place a lot. I'd certainly recommend this to couples and small groups of adults. Not sure how it would be for families since I didn't see the larger units. Again, check my review of Mountain Lodge for that!

Room Tip: 1st floor has easy access to Starbucks, ski lockers, and exit. Upstairs may be less noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SegundoLunadeMiel
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We spent 4 days in Snowshoe and we had a wonderful time. The apartment was nice and clean. We appreciated the fireplace after a day on the slopes. Rimefire is in the village, next to the departure for skiing. The bonus was the direct access from our building to the Starbucks where we had great coffee and Internet access.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was the smallest "hotel room" I have ever seen. I booked through snowshoe and requested a one bedroom unit and i assumed for $340/night I would get what i requested. Instead I was given a closet with a bathroom. The room was also dirty and had tears in the carpet and scuffs on all the walls. Snowshoe you should be ashamed. I made a serious mistake not staying at Soaring Eagle Lodge like i usually do. Its the best spot on the mountain and Rimfire is the worst, at least out of the properties on the summit.

Room Tip: Stay at a different property
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tratravlinman
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My family and I stayed two nights at Rimfire. We had a great time. The condo was clean and well stocked with utensils, pots and pans. Having a full kitchen (with oven, dishwasher, microwave, stovetop) is convenient- my mother cooked Thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen.

We had a great view of the mountains. Our fireplace stopped working on Thanksgiving, but we gave front desk a call and it was fixed within 2 hours while we were out exploring the Village.

The location is great- Starbucks is right below and Split Rock Pools is right next door.

We would definitely come back.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I have stayed in 3 different condos at Rimfire over the years and have found the location to be central to the top of them mountain ski lifts and usually stay in a one bedroom unit because the junior studios are more sleeping units with small kitchen area and the one bedrooms have full kitchen. The Rimfire building has a Starbucks in lower lobby and 2 hot tubs and heated parking garage for loading and unloading car out of weather and ice and snow. There are free ski lockers on first floor so you can store ski boots and skis downstairs. Also there is a ski & snowboard rental place right next door. The restaurants are a little pricey so the full kitchens make it nice just bring cereal, milk, frozen pizza sandwich stuff to save some money. Top floor units are quieter because of people wear snow boots in room instead of using lockers downstairs.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter //large studios or 1 bedrooms have queen beds / junior studios are very small...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jordan h
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We were melting in DC with "feels like" temps over 100 and decided to run away to the mountains (high 85, low 72). We picked Snowshoe and had a great time. The Rimfire Condo building remains awesome. We parked underground, cooked breakfast in the room and used the location as the launching point for all the village activities. Rimfire is in the heart of Snowshoe village making the walk to dinner about 2 minutes, and to the slopes/trails about 2 and a half minutes. It also has the most fabulous hot tubs (I know, hot tub in July!) . A couple of us mountain biked (they bring you back up by lift) and a couple did the Green Zebras (see separate listing). We all went down to the lake to lounge, peddle boat and hang out at the boathouse (beer, ice cream and waffles all day!). Snowshoe is awesome for skiing and they really have some fun stuff for a get away in the summer - just to get away somewhere fun, or to beat the heat. And the bonus is a bunch of village activities.

Foxfire Grill was good. Junction was good. Spruce Bistro was good. It's an easy going, everything at your fingertips kind of place.

We stopped (again) at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) on the way home. It was awesome. It's free, and includes a discussion, movie and bus tour around the grounds to look at the fabulous telescopes. Tours are every hour on the hour and take about an hour. Because of NRAO Snowshoe is in a "quiet" zone but you can use computers on the mountain.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends