“September solitude”

Mountain Lodge Condos
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Mountain Lodge in late September, like all of Snowshoe, is practically deserted. There were a maximum of 10 cars in the parking lot. With so few guests there was no-one on the front desk, the lobby was cold, dark and cheerless and the restaurant was closed. However, that said the location is excellent. A short walk brings you to the pool, the small grocery store and the Village whilst the view from the mountain and lake facing units is stunning. One strange aspect of the units is that the bedroom window faces the hallway which is open to the atrium. This means keeping the shades closed at all times, and we can imagine the noise during the height of the season as guests on all floors make their way to their rooms. Said hallways are rather drab, but the top floor condo we rented from the owner for a very reasonbable price could not have been more bright, cheerful and well appointed. The few staff we met were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Consider renting from owner. One bedroom, top floor, HomeAway.com, ID # 337530 is highly recommende...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay in a mountain lodge unit at Snowshoe. Some other commenters described this unit as a “college dorm” and I wouldn’t be that harsh, but I can relate to the open lodgey feel and can sympathize with the description. The layout is setup in a big loop with the rooms around the rim of the building. The center of the bldg includes a gaming area in one part and an indoor rock waterfall in one area. From the pictures it looks newer than it really is - again, you can tell that its been there for a long time. There is a laundry room with coin operated machines, some vending machines, the lobby has a fireplace though I didn't see it going while we were there. The greatest benefit of these units is the location. From one area of the bldg you can ski right onto the slopes. These units are probably the cheapest units you’ll be able to find up on the mountain, with top of the world units probably coming in second for a comparable price range. They are definitely dated and worn, but from what I observed are well maintained and clean. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit. Upon entering the unit, there was an area to hang up our ski/snowboard equipment which was nice. The bedroom had a vanity/sitting area and closet. The bathroom was positioned in the middle of the unit for easy access to our guest that stayed on the pull out. The living room area was small, but big enough for the pull out bed and there’s a small mini kitchen with bar. It’s a very snug area and the low ceiling doesn’t help, but it suited us just fine. There was also a small balcony. If we vacationed there again for a longer stay, I’d try for a more updated unit but if it was my only option I’d choose it in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the ML for 3 days Thur-Sun. The lodge itself is perfectly situated, out the door and on the slopes! Its central village location is perfect! You can tell when you get there this is one of the original properties compared to all the new facilities surrounding it. But, this is not a bad thing. The prices are economically friendly. The room was nice; 1bdrm, full kitchen (with utensils) overlooking the slopes. The check-in was a breeze at the Snowshoe Inn. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I asked for a room overlooking the slopes and they gave it to me.

There’s not much night life at the resort regardless of what they advertise. The village shops are a 2-3 min walk. There's also a convenience store for your usual sundries and refreshments (5min walk). Once you park, you shouldn't have to use your car unless you want to trek the 6mi back to the bottom of the mtn. There is a restaurant and lounge in the lodge. The restaurant is good, the servings are huge. The drinks are awesome. Overall, a very nice place to stay on the mountain for a few days. For me, I probably wouldn’t stay more than 3-4 days. Nothing against this resort or what it offers; that's just me and how I plan my ski trips.

As far as skiing; GREAT!!!! It’s an upside down mountain meaning you start at the top. The runs were nice. Some terrain for every level. If it’s windy (and snowy) as it was on Friday, it can get pretty icy and very cold. But don’t let that stop you… layer up.

Lastly, if the weather is bad, it can be a little tricky getting in and out. The roads are narrow, hilly, and winding. Just drive with care.

TIPS -
1 - Be sure to shop at the store at the base of the mtn before going to the resort, theres a price and selction difference at the top.
2 - Try to get a room on the 3rd floor to avoid the boots, skis, and floor noise

Enjoy Snowshoe.

Room Tip: see review.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AJazzMaster
Reviewed 22 February 2012

These condos are great for the slopes. Step outside the door and ski away. I had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. The kitchen is small but has full size appliances including a dishwasher. The food is pricey at snowshoe so bringing your own food is strongly suggested (by me).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank khill72
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here with my husband and son in February of 2012. This was a nice cozy Mountain Lodge. We booked a slope view, and when we checked in and made our way to our room we discovered we were given a parking lot view. With a phone call and a visit to the in house desk the room was corrected to our satisfaction. Each room in this lodge is decorated differently, so if you find one you like- stick with it. Room 232 was a cozy decoration while room 236 looked a little more modern. Our view was wonderful, the slopes and one of the lifts. We noticed that the 1st room we had had TONS of coat hooks, but the second room had a rack for your skis and absolutely no coat racks.
You could step out and ski right away. You are only a short walk (1-2 min) from Split Rock Pools and the village. This area is hopping on the weekend, but is very light on the weekdays. If you are a beginner that wants to hit the slopes- go Monday –Thursday. Also, I was advised that the Cupp Slope at Silver Creek is the best run for a beginner to go down. Not all green slopes are created “Easy”. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a slope view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rehp03
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed in Mountain Lodge over the weekend AFTER MLK week. That was key, as it wasn't all that crowded since there wasn't a holiday. You've probably all seen the reviews of Mountain Lodge, and most are quite accurate. I'd sum it up like many others - NOT a really, really nice place, but roomy with an awesome location. You can't beat hopping off the Ballhooter lift and into the back door for lunch, and you can't beat walking just a couple hundred feet to Starbucks or other Village stuff.

Here are some of my favorite and least-favorite things:
I liked the actual condo - A very roomy 2 bedroom.
I didn't like that the master bedroom had a window to the interior hallway. I had to hang up blankets (in addition to the drapery) to keep the hallway light out.

I liked the proximity to the slopes.
I didn't like my location in the building. Tip: Ask for one of the units with lower number to be on the wing of the building next to the slope (e.g. number x01-x39 or so). Your feet will thank you if you wear ski boots.

I liked the balcony. It's small, but it's a nice place to keep skis overnight and see how the weather really is before heading out.

The kids' play area was great. Mine are 6 and under, and the little playground was a welcome indoor distraction while it rained one morning.
Don't count on the exercise equipment that they show in all the pictures. There are two or three tired machines that aren't plugged in. Better idea - ski harder instead. :-)

I really liked the common areas. They have some cool areas in the corner of the main lobby with high-top tables surrounded by windows, overlooking the slopes. Good spot to have a cold one if you happen to come off the slopes a little early.

Overall, stay at ML if you want a ski-in/ski-out spot with easy access to the Village. But, don't expect the Ritz-Carlton.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the wing of the building that's closest to the Ballhooter lift.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SegundoLunadeMiel
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Bad wifi connection. Some rooms need to be updated. But great location and very clean.

• Stayed: February 2012