“Nice time was had...”

Snowshoe Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Snowshoe
More attraction details
Owner description: Start with an 11,000 acre playground serving up the best of the mountains, however you like it. Your days here are like having dessert first. Our Village is situated atop the mountain and gives you access to spa-ing, shopping and even dancing. It all feels better at 4,848 feet.
Texas
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Nice time was had...”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed this past June for an extended weekend and had a great time. Moutain Lodge is where we stayed in a condo on the third floor. Loved it. The village was dead and most things were closed because the season didn't start until July but we liked it for the quietness it offered. Make sure you bring groceries with you, it is very, VERY expensive on the mountain. We took a hike around the lake but the water was too cold to swim in at that time. We did the Cass scenic railroad and toured the NRAO which was very informative.

3 Thank jfpTexas

• Turkish first
TN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Research your costs.”
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We booked through cyberentals.com. Got a great price on our condo, but we paid through the nose on rentals and lift tickets since we rented through an owner. Check all your options before you commit. It was $372 a day for a family of 4 adults and 1 child for rentals and lift tickets. Do the math. We will next time. Had fun but went late in the season. If we head there again we will go earlier in March. Conda was nice and we liked staying right in the village.

1 Thank bamcrewmom
Fairfax VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great sking”
Reviewed 9 February 2008

Just got back from Snowshoe. Hit some warm weather the first day then a cold front came in. Sking was great. My sugestion is to book for at least 3 or 4 days. It makes the long ride worth it and gives you a good chance to get at least a few good days of skiing incase of bad weather. Bring some food up with you because it can be expenisve to eat out every day, even more so with a family. Lots of different skill level slopes. Tubeing is a blast a Silver Creek. Also Silver Creek is a great place for beginers to learn.

1 Thank BilFairfaxVA
Durham, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Downhill Mountain Biker's Heaven during the Summer”
Reviewed 9 February 2008

If you're an avid downhill biker, then Snowshoe will be like heaven to you. During the summer, Snowshoe turns into a Kona bike park - one of the best and well-maintained parks I've ever seen.

I went there opening day in 2007 on memorial day weekend. It is a very long drive and I highly recommend having another person help you read off directions. From Chapel Hill, NC, it took about 6 hours. We left at 3:00 when I got off of school and arrived at 9:00 at night. The longest part of the trip is when you encounter a very long and windy backroad that is about 50 miles long. Be prepared, because there will be no gas once you get here so fill up about halfway.

When I awoke the next day, put on my armor and grabbed my bike, I was amazed to find everyone else dressed the same way! The whole place was swarming with downhill bikers and I couldn't have been happier. There were some of the best runs I've ever been on down there - they were very challenging and perfect for downhill and freeriding.

The west side of the mountain has some incredibly great downhill. It's challenging, fast, and there are tons of runs to choose from. The Pro Course and Race Course are the greatest. While you're down there, make sure to hit up Ball n' Jack or Powerline. They're a blast! There are some very advanced trails at Snowshoe that you might want to avoid. But always remember that there are walk-arounds or detours for anything you cannot handle on the trail. Talk to someone in the Mountain Adventure Center if you need any help finding good trails based on your riding style. They'll be glad to help you.

The trails have lots of drops, roots, etc. There are wooden obstacles, dirt jumps (go on the trail called Powerline for lots of there), rock gardens, etc. You name it and they've probably got it. This place is more for advanced riders, but I am just okay and did fine on the trails. If anything, I got better. Always wear full armor/pads and a full face helmet! You will not regret it. Trust me on this one.

We stayed in the hotel right above the MAC (Mountain Adventure Center). It was pretty small and was somewhat inconvenient. Our air conditioner was broken and it got very, very hot during the night. However, this was just a minor inconvenience and we were credited $80 towards our total fees, which was pretty nice. To me, the room wasn't that big of a deal. The only time I was ever in it was to go to sleep after the day was done.

The atmosphere is wonderful! Everyone is nice, friendly, and great to talk to. You won't even know the people and you will somehow find yourself in a conversation with them as you ride up the lift or go on the bus. It's almost as if you know them, but at the same time, you've never met them in your life. The employees, too, are just as friendly. I couldn't get over how much I felt at home there. I was getting great tips on techniques and quick bike repairs.

The service there is wonderful. I took a hard fall and broke my rear derailleur lever. I took it to the bike shop (literally right next to the lift) to get it fixed. The bike mechanic there said he only had a lower model derailleur lever. But, right before he was about to put it on, he found the same model that I had and told me he would charge me for the lower model only! I saved about $20 because of that, and got the same part that I had before.

The food is good, but expensive. There aren't many places to choose from, so pack your own food before you go there if you want to save money. The people working the food places were quite friendly and had great service.

The weather is very unpredictable. Every day there is a chance of rain, so bring plenty of rain gear and clothes. The trails will get very muddy, but that's when the best riding happens. Don't ever stop because of rain! It just adds to the challenge. If there is thunder or lightning, do not go down the trails because you will be stuck at the bottom for a long time until the lift opens. Just expect that there will be lots of rain while you're there and you will be fine.

The views are beautiful. You can see across the whole West Virginian horizon. In the distance you will be able to see thunder storms; usually they will not reach you, but they're very cool to watch. You can see so far off that you will never hear the thunder when you see the lightning, and occasionally you will see 2 or 3 individual storms in different areas at the same time. Very cool! When you do hear thunder, it's very soft and deep. It's quite relaxing to hear the rustle of the wind at night with the deep, quiet sound of thunder in the far, far off distance.

****JUST REMEMBER THAT IF YOU'RE NOT A DOWNHILL BIKER OR A BIKER IN GENERAL, THEN THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU DURING THE SUMMER****

There is not much to do other than tons of biking. There aren't any hiking trails or anything. This place isn't like Vail or Keystone; you'll get bored fast if you aren't into the whole biking thing. If you're looking for an all-around resort-like experience, I mean for 6 hours you can make the same exact trip to Vail or another place in Colorado and have a more entertaining experience if you don't do biking.

Overall, I think this place is amazing! I've never been there in the winter, but I hear great things about it. So, like I said, if you're a biker, you'll want to be here and never wanna leave!

2 Thank DownhillFreeride
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great skiing - lots of variety”
Reviewed 9 March 2007

Snowshoe is a great place to go for people in the Midwest and East Coast (excluding those near Vermont). I always find lots of variety and feel comfortable bringing beginners there because there are a lot of green trails for them to learn on. For those more experienced, there are several blue and black diamond trails as well including the Western territory featuring Cupp Run - a mile and a quarter long run that matches some trails I've been on out West.

Getting there isn't easy but totally worth it. Night skiing at Silver Creek sucks though and it takes forever for the bus to come. I can't comment on the activities or restaurants in the area since my friends and I would just bring food to cook.

2 Thank Lovanna