“Wonderful Retreat!”

Allegheny Springs
Charleston, West Virginia
“Wonderful Retreat!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We spent three nights at Allegheny Spings and really enjoyed it. The two of us stayed in a studio unit at the superior level, so it had lots of upgraded features that were very nice. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was poolside and the patio door had a card reader, so accessing the pool was easy. This was a very nice place and we're already planning a return trip for the fall.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Shawnee
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a room on the 1st floor, very nice, immediate access to pool, plus wifi in our room that condo owner supplied. Impressed upon arrival with the place, as others have noted, could use some electronic upgrades, but that's not why you come here!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank seth13_1984
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Initially, I was disappointed that our first floor condo (139) overlooked the pool, but this was so convenient. My kids loved being able to walk to the pool. It was also a quick walk to the Village. Our condo was beautifully appointed and perfect for our family with two boys. My biggest complaint was lack of wireless access. Both my husband and I needed to make alternate work arrangements. Fortunately, we did have cell phone service with AT&T, although it was spotty. The concierge, while nice, was not very knowledgeable. My in-laws checked in after us and were not given their fun passes. This was a bit inconvenient when we went to get on the lift to Shavers Lake, and all three of them had to go back to the desk to sign for passes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HappyFamily43082
Hillsboro, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were a group of 4: myself, my husband, my 10 year old daughter, and my husband's good friend. We stayed at the Allegheny Springs the weekend of March 8th, 2014 ... I believe. Overall the condo was a nice experience but there were a few issues.
First of all, prepare yourself for 0 cell service! If it was not for our friend having ATT, we would have been out of luck. That made me a bit nervous as I left a 19 year old son and all of our pets at the house, and I wanted him to be able to reach us (and vice versa) if needed.
Second, the accomodations were a bit small. Each bedroom only had one double bed and very little space for more than that. HOWEVER, the condo was immaculate and we were not there to really hang out in the condo, so it was not too much of a problem. My husband did have to sleep on the living room sofa, but we were the ones that got a 2 bedroom. We assumed there would be more room in the bedrooms.. never assume.
The only other negative thing that I would say about the condo is that the balcony was too small. It could barely hold two people. Now, the mountain and the views are one of the reasons that you go, so I was thinking that the balconies would be bigger. I did notice that many other condos did have bigger balconies. Next time we will try to make sure that we get a condo with more outside space.
On the plus side, the condo came with everything that you would need so it was very comfortable. The location was great as well. The fireplace is key. In any mountain resort, I can't imagine NOT having one!. I know several people complained about the antiquated tv/electronics. This is true, but again, we were not inside much and that is not why we were going so it did not bother me.
As for public spaces, the main lobby also had good atmosphere. I did NOT like the locker area. Our locker was in a corner, impossible to reach in a crowd, and kind of small. It only held 2 pairs of skiis/snowboard, so we had to bring some up to our room, even though we were not allowed to. I do like that they have a locker room next to the slope. that was FANTASTIC. However, it needs to be reworked somehow.
As for Snowshoe itself, great skiing and great village. We look forward to returning. However, we will probably stay at another condo. We want to get a feel for all of them and find the one that we really feel "like home".

Room Tip: Call the toll free number to speak to a person. Also go on Trip Advisor. As there are many different...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 1023Heidi
Hillsboro, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We went to Snowshoe for our first time the weekend of March 14th, and overall the experience was great. On the negative side.... the condo was a bit smaller than we were expecting, but we made due as we were not there to be inside. We stayed at the Allegheny Springs, and the actual room was beyond clean and comfortable, but the finishes were not "platinum" level, in my mind. But that is where the negative ends.
For the positive, the staff could not have been friendlier or more efficient. From the hotel to the restaurants to the ski slopes, it was top-notch service and positive attitude. The slopes were never packed, even though we went over the "Spring Break" weekend. The line could get long at times, but not so bad that it ever was an issue. The food was very good.
Heads-up: Bring your own food for the condo. There is only a mini-mart with very little food at the top of the mountain. It's a bit of a drive to a regular grocery store. We could have saved lots of $$ by eating breakfast and lunch at the condo.
AND, we liked it enough to return this summer to check out the area in the summer time. We want a relaxed, disconnected few days, and it seems to offer lots of hiking, biking, water activities......

1 Thank 1023Heidi
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The bad:

Problem #1. Arrived at 4:45pm for 5pm check-in. The front desk told us "a 5pm check in is not guaranteed". Excuse me? Anyway, housekeeping didn't even arrive at the hotel until about 6pm. We didn't get into our room until about 7pm. To make up for this, the management gave us some $ credit that we were able to use for dinner the following night. Fine. But I was in the lobby area for the next two nights and this problem repeated each night with other guests.

Problem #2. I would not consider this to be deluxe accommodations. Although the condos are only about 11 years old, they seem in need of updating. Bathrooms were pretty nice and kitchen OK too. Bedroom had a low-quality mattress, TV in living room was a CRT and not high definition, furnishings were so-so. Gas fireplace appeared to have a piece of trim missing and the slate in front of it had a large crack.

Problem #3. I woke up one morning with 3 insect bites on my legs. Daytime high temps the day before were single digits with howling winds so these bites came from inside the unit, not outside.

Problem #4: It was noisy pretty much all day and night. Parents let their kids run around and carry on. I realize that this is mostly the parents fault but the hotel should monitor this and keep it under control during the evenings and early morning.

Problem #5: "Valet parking" is a ripoff at $20 when they simply leave the car in the circle in front of the place (uncovered and unsecured)

Note: daily housekeeping consists only of emptying the trash and replacing towels.

The good:

1. Location: close to slopes and village
2. Service: concierge was helpful; also, the valet guy will drive you to the South Mountain Grill and will come pick you up when you are ready

Bottom line: I wouldn't stay here again, given the costs

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark C
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Perfect location for ski in and out. Housekeeping services are bad, poor. The hotel can use a remodeling and update of the rooms. Wi-Fi should be available in the rooms. If you want to check your mail you have to go to the lobby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family