“Not culture friendly”

Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not culture friendly”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This place is very much so geared towards white americans. I went here this past weekend and felt so out of place not to mention the cook kept insisting on calling me a "girl". i was sitting at the table with two other couples and was waitig for him to say girl to one of the other females at the table but everytime he referred to me "girl' is what i received. I kindly asked him to lean down for a second to tell him how inappropriate those words where and he stopped immediately. I will not be going back. Thanks.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank mrsklove

Chicago, Illinois
“Decent sushi and value”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

During an extended stay in Charleston, I mostly went here for lunch and I only went for sushi, so I cannot attest to other menu items or the hibachi experience. I did dine here frequently for sushi, partially by default. (Not a lot of sushi choices in Charleston.) The building itself does not feel at all like a Japanese restaurant. (My understanding is that it is a former Pizzeria Uno.) Most of the restaurant is hibachi, and the sushi bar is small and tucked away in the back of the restaurant. If you are looking for ambiance with your sushi dining experience, keep looking. What I did like about it was that I thought it was a good value with the sushi and sashimi slices being very large and generally fresh. I usually ordered a combination plate (the more economical way to go with sushi.) There typically wasn't a a lot of variety with much of the plate filled with salmon and tuna. But I always found it to be good and with large size slices, plus mizo soup and a salad, I always left feeling satisfied.

Saint Albans, West Virginia
“Sucked”
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Worst dining experience ever. The chef was awful. The presentation was worse. And when we complained, the owner didn't care. DON'T EAT HERE!!!!!! Will never eat there again, highly non recommended. (Wasn't allowed to put this in all caps, or I would've.)

1 Thank TimothyDiehl
Charleston, WV
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 12 February 2011

The sushi at Hibachi was decent, but the service was awful! The hostess seated us in the empty sushi bar and took our order for sake, but nearly half an hour later our drinks hadn't arrived and no servers had so much as glanced in our direction! We were considering walking out when I finally approached a server and asked if our sake was on it's way, and she said she would look into it. Nearly 10 minutes later a server finally came over and explained that they had accidentally given our sake to someone else. We accepted her apology and gave her our sushi order, but it was another 10 minutes before she brought us our sake. Our sushi took an exceptionally long time to arrive, and when it did we had to search around for napkins and chopsticks because our server never gave us any. Every single step of the meal was agonizingly slow, even getting our water glasses refilled. To his credit, the sushi chef brought us a complimentary sushi roll to apologize for our long wait, but even this was not enough to make up for the 2 long hours of frustration that we had to endure. We will not be going back.

1 Thank Freshfoodfan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Upon entering Hibachi my family and I...”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Upon entering Hibachi my family and I were disappointed as the male hostess didn't greet us. Once he was done on the computer he took us to a table that had no breathing room. When the chef came out he said a whole 2 words and did no performing. The sushi wasn't fresh and the chicken wasn't cooked all the way. If you want to have a great experience you should go to Fujiyama Japanese Steak House in Beckley, WV.

1 Thank meg_tolen