“Don't let WV scare you from this gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aspen Manor Resort

Aspen Manor Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Wellsburg B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Don't let WV scare you from this gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

This place is admittedly not for everyone but if you expand your horizons a little I am sure you will be delightfully surprised by this gem in the hills/woods of WV. My fiance and I stayed here for a night and it proved to be a great surprise with great service/contry charm.

Let me start by saying that I don't have much commentary on "location". I was born and raised in this area, on the Ohio side of the River :), and I honestly can't think of a good reason you would visit the area. Pittsburgh is a good 45+ minutes away, Wheeling is probably the same, maybe a little less, and those are the closest places I can think of as places of interest. If you are in the area, it is probably becasue, like me, you used to live here and are visiting friends and family.

And if that is the case, there are very limited hotel choices for the general area (Ohio Valley) and this place is definitely worth a visit. And if you are visiting Pittsburgh or Wheeling and you have some free time, then places is likely worth the visit....it is very unique...and experience that won't be replicated anywhere else.

You will start off driving on the main road and then turn off to go back into a small neighborhood just off the main road. You might think you are lost already but make one turn, start going up hill, and you'll run into an large, iron/electric gate with brick pillars. Hit the button, wait for someone to buzz you through, and you will be driving into a massive piece of property, on a road that will eventually lead you to an old mansion/world that really doesn't exist anymore.

Note, if you will be staying here, it would be to your advantage to arrive during the daylight. First, if you are from these parts, you'll be less scared/nerveous in the daylight :) Second, the drive will be easier, and third, you can enjoy the views! The road is a very long road, that is still dirt, and can be rough a times, but nothing too bad. It can easily be negotiated by any four door sedan, which is what my fiance and I were driving. Just keep going and going and going until you find the main house, which hopefully you'll notice because of the other parked cars.

Park your car, grab your bags, and walk in. Hopefully since they buzzed you in someone will be waiting and direct you to your room. Note, this place was rescently purchased by the current owners, and they are still in the process of getting it together. I notice lots of works/work being done but never really noticed any noise. The place is massive!!!!!

Rooms are pretty standard...bed, couple chairs, some dressers, flat panel TV, shower, toilet, sink. Place was very clean and comfortable. My fiance found the bed a little hard and I'd agree but nothing that was terribly problematic. We told them the night before we'd have breakfast at 9:30am, and of course our intention was to head to the kitchen. However, at 9:30am, two ladies came by with our breakfast in trays....a nice touch.

We were only staying for the night and in the morning, we were packing up to leave and a lady came out to tell us the owner was giving us champagne on the house and late check out. Unfortunately we didn't have too much time on our hands but did have a drink and ended up hanging around for a little longer.

I am not going to try and summarize the history or grandeur of this place here, as you can use google, but the place is massive, with tons of history and elegance, and if you stay here you need to just spend an hour or more walking around....and that doesn't even count the outside. Deep in the place is a cool little bar area with a pool table and we ended up playing a game of pool in an old fashion game room.

The night we checked in they said they set up a place for dinner for us but since we didnt' think they would have food options late in the evening we had already eaten, and the next moring, walking around, I was disapointted we had because I found the place they had set up for us. A grand table settling all by ourselves...it would have been great.

I can't say enough about everything there is to see in this place...you could get lost...you may want to ask for a tour.

As long as you know what to expect, you will enjoy this "big" gem in the hills/woods of WV. If you can go in the fall/spring I bet it would be beautiful. I wish we had better weather and time to spend walking the grounds. Very private area all to yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jeffrey D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

I visited for the first time these fascinating manor that a friend had told me about. Since driving into the manor grounds until driving out the next day, I didn't stop being impressed. The place holds a lot of history and energy. You can spend hours wondering its halls and grounds, soaking in the aura of each room. I found this hidden gem to be a truly special experience, and very reasonably priced for the quality of the stay.

One thing that anyone going here must be aware of: it is not your typical modern upscale resort. One goes here for the charm, history, art and privilege of being able to wonder around in a historic mansion with all of it's antiquity and imperfections that make it incredibly charming. It is clear the new owners have a vision of completely finishing a restoration of this historic place and turning it into the full charm it once was many years ago. Doing so will take time and I look forward to seeing the progress during future visits.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BrightMidnightTravel
Harrisville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I love historic places and was driving around exploring for a place to stay near Meadowcroft Rockshelter in Avella, PA when I stumbled upon this gem. This was much more than lodging- it was an event in itself! I had intended to find someplace to stay, get up early and then spend the day at Meadowcroft, but never left this property until 1:00 in the afternoon! We spent hours exploring the treasures within and enjoying taking in the beauty of the grounds while sitting on the front porch. The total atmosphere was extraordinary! This is a place designed for relaxing and the staff assures that you will have that experience. Breakfast was included and was made to order and served wherever we wanted to have it. It was hard to choose between the courtyard, front porch or one of the gorgeous rooms inside! The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. I have stayed at bed & breakfasts all over the country and must say that this is among my top experiences ever. And definitely among the most reasonably priced! Make sure you ask for a tour of the interior for added enjoyment! The owner of this property has done an excellent job with the restoration and with hiring dedicated, fantastic personnel!
Thank you Adam, Chad and staff for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a luxury room on the historic side of the property.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anniemousebooks
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

A true 10 ! AAA my wife ( Natalia ) and I were very impressed.the history,the sights,the food,the service was the best !!! thankyou Chad and Adam .INCREDABLE !!!! TOTAL VALUE !!! SINCERELY,Mike and Natalia

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike T
Keystone, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

This gem is a bit out of the way, but worth every effort to get there. The historic manor house has countless treasures from time it was built, well preserved and beautifully displayed in the public rooms. The rooms have their historic look but are updated with flat-screen TVs, air conditioning, and a comfortable lounge chair. The 700-acre property sitting above the Ohio River has charm, old buildings, lots of wildlife, plenty of room to roam, and gracious hosts. There are three levels of rooms--the deluxe rooms that are the original manor bedrooms; slightly smaller rooms, mostly with their own baths, which were the staff rooms at the back of the manor; and economy rooms ($49!) upgraded from what was an assisted living wing added later. As a manor guest, you have the run of the architecturally interesting manor and all its fascinating special rooms--the Oriental room with its large curved window seat, the Indian room, the music room, the pool room, a beautiful dining room, a library, and a large living room, among others. A bountiful breakfast is included. In addition to the occasional visit, this facility is large and special enough to host a corporate retreat, family reunion, celebration, or any other special occasion. On-site catering is provided for groups. Only 45 minutes from Pittsburgh (30 minutes from Wheeling), I found this treasure to be a truly special experience, and very reasonably priced for the quality of the stay. It's really reminiscent of some fine old English or European properties.

Room Tip: At $119/night, pick the manor rooms--they are special.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank coloradofan82
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

This may have been the most unusual hotel I have ever stayed at. We found it on the internet and thought it looked interesting. We were not disappointed. Originally built by the playboy son of a millionaire about 100 years ago, it is a very large estate on a very high hill. For most of its life the estate belonged to various Catholic institutions, and it has recently passed into private hands and is starting a new life as a hotel and event center. There is simply no place like it. To arrive, you have to drive up a long, bumpy road. You start to come to some buildings and then arrive at the Manor, Parts of the outside still need to be rehabbed, but inside there are wonderful lush public rooms and hallways and some very nice guest rooms. There is also a beautiful chapel from its days as a Catholic retirement home.

The guys who are turning this into a hotel could not have been nicer. This is not a corporate make-over, but appears to be the work of a few individuals with a vision and a love of antiques and old places. I really really hope they succeed, because this place is unique and deserves to stay open to the public. We got a nice tray of cheese and wine in the evening, and a great breakfast. I had one of the best night's sleep ever there. If you like unusual places off the beaten path, Aspen Manor is for you. It would be a great place for a wedding. I was travelling with my three sisters on our annual "Sisters' trip" and we all really enjoyed our stay. I hope to get back there some day. Go now while you have the chance. Rates were reasonable. They have a good website with photos and information.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Extradish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellsburg
Bayberry House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Aspen Manor Resort? Share your experiences!