This hotel was the fourth in our recent week-long tour of lincolnshire and Norfolk. Having been "on the road" for six days when we arrived we were somewhat frazzled....but after a friendly welcome from Chris and a cup of tea by the pool, the world seemed well again. Our room was large, well maintained and comfortable. The Bathroom well appointed and large......separate shower and bath!
Dinner in the evening was an event. Drinks in the lounge while we studied the menu (not a huge choice.....3 starters/mains/desserts......but well thought out and it changed each day. Excellent service of well cooked/presented food.
The whole ambience was one of a private house party with attentive and pleasant hosts.....we'd definitely go again.
Only one disappointment.....Breakfast. I have a cooked breakfast which was individually cooked to order and composed, largely, of locally sourced produce. However, my wife doesn't eat a cooked breakfast and there was no buffet of fruit/muesli/cereals/pastries etc. A choice of cereals/half a grapefruit served in the bowl. followed by toast is a poor comparision with the competition and left my wife feeling "short-changed". They found a banana for her to have with her breakfast, but the request for fruit seemed to surprise them! A shame, it was the only blemish on an otherwise perfect stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Rectory, Norwich's only AA 4* Gold 'Restaurant with Rooms' is a beautiful Georgian House, with adjoining Victorian Coach House, standing in an acre of mature secluded gardens on the eastern fringes of Norwich, overlooking the Yare valley and Thorpe Marshes nature reserve . We offer warm hospitality and friendly service in a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Every morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, cooked to order and served to your table. Our menu features local sausages, bacon, ham and eggs, Chef's own toasted muesli, thick yoghurt with home-made fruit compote, and thick cut toast. Our Dining Room is open Tuesday to Saturday evenings (closed Sunday / Monday), with a daily changing 2 AA Rosette menu featuring freshly prepared, locally sourced, seasonal produce. The elegant intimate, Georgian panelled room has just six tables so be sure to book dinner in advance as we regret we cannot guarantee availability of a table, nor a particular time, where dinner reservations have not been made prior to arrival. The Old Rectory is 2 miles from Norwich railway station (services to London, Cambridge, the Norfolk Coast and intermediate stations) and the city centre with its Norman Castle and Cathedral, medieval churches, excellent shopping facilities and open air market. Norwich International Airport (flights to Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and international flights via the KLM hub at Amsterdam Schipol) is 5 miles. The Norfolk Broads National Park and the sandy beaches of the east coast are a short drive, and many historic houses, nature reserves, gardens etc are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Old Rectory reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Rectory Hotel Norwich
- Old Rectory Norwich
- Old Rectory Hotel Norwich