“Such a warm welcome.....”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Whilst attending an event in Norwich nearby we decided to stay in the area and pick this establishment based on the Tripadvisor reviews. We were warmly welcomed by the owner who provided me with a tour of the facilities before showing me to my room in the annex.

There is a spacious drawing room for guests to use with puzzles and books to keep you entertained during your stay. The location is very convenient for the city centre with ample free parking on site. There is also a pool for the summer.

Chris pointed out that our room was due for refurbishment in three weeks time as part of a rolling programme and the room was clean and tidy but rather dated with fussy decor, which I am sure the refurb will address. The bed was excellent, with quality bed linen, and we had an wonderful and peaceful nights sleep. The only slightly disappointment was the en-suite where the toilet had been placed in such a place that a 6ft 2 inch man hit his head when trying to use the toilet, and the shower delivering rather a small spray. There was only one bath sheet and one bath towel in the room for two people which meant that as a girl with longer hair I had to use a damp towel to dry my hair, I made Chris aware of this but housekeeping said this was policy. Chris didn't agree with this!

Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and very tasty. Unusually in my experience there was no buffet counter for cereals etc and we didn't realise if we wanted fruit etc we would need to ask for this in advance, meaning we just got a cooked breakfast and nothing else. Fruit juice is also provided rather than laid out and when I asked for a second glass, I was greeted with confused looks although this was eventually provided. Excellent quality local sauces and jams were provided, and be bought to take away. I also asked if there was gluten free bread available, and was told rather forcefully that I should have 'requested this in advance' although I was unaware of this having not stayed here before. The waitress did check with the kitchen and this was duly provided.

We didn't eat at this establishment due to our plans for the evening, but there is a well regarded restaurant on site and you are contacted shortly after booking to ask whether you would like to book a table for dinner.

Really lovely period building, with an enthusiastic and welcoming owner but I am not sure that the £130 a night price tag was a reflection of my experience. I would stay again, but at a slightly lower rate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FredaAtTheHelm

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed for just one night in November on business.
Nothing was too much trouble for Chris and his team and the price of bar snacks and beers, made an incredibly refreshing change. Too often I feel as though I've been ripped off, but at the Old Rectory, all was great value!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Coach house, the the end room so couldn't hear a mouse
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SteveShrewsbury
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I've lost count of how many times we've stayed at this delightful and quintessentially English establishment. Traditional with high values and superb quality. Good location, warm welcome, excellent dining with pre dinner drinks by the roaring fire, completed by a perfect breakfast to suite your needs made from local high quality produce. The owners are dedicated to their business and you and will do all they can to ensure your stay is a great one.

I will definitely be staying and dining again and would highly recommend it. A true Norfolk gem.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Booozo
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed here for four nights and it was probably one of my best four nights away from home on business. I stayed with some colleagues and the welcome and attention we had from Chris and his staff was amazing. The bedrooms are so comfortable that I didn't really want to leave each morning. The bathroom was well appointed - a bath that fills up quickly and a separate, hot & powerful shower. Fluffy white towels and bathrobes just added to the luxury experience. My room was in the converted coach house.

The food at breakfast is freshly cooked and the choice is good, lots of locally sourced ingredients. We had dinner twice while we were here and both nights the food was beautifully cooked and presented.

I travel a lot for business and this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. The care Chris and his staff take to make you feel welcome far surpasses the anonymous chain hotels.
It is an ideal location for Norwich and the Broads and I would love to come back here for a holiday.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Scarrface
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Staying over near Norwich? The Old Rectory offers, comfort, style and superb food. The friendly but not overbearing owners have created a first class venue here. The bedrooms are large and well appointed. The lounge is comfortable and inviting but best of all was the outstanding quality of the food - absolutely top drawer. We will return.

1  Thank MandJNottingham
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed in the upstairs bedroom with a large balcony overlooking the grounds facing the road. There was no noise bother from the road, and just a quick crossing of the street brings you to a very pretty canal perfect for a walk or park bench sitting. Also, some nice pubs that are very close.

Other reviewers have said it all and my only addition, is that when eating dinner at this Inn, your set reservation doesn't mean you eat at the agreed time, it simply means you arrive in the next door sitting room to be presented with that night's menu and the opportunity to buy a drink. While this procedure was quite ok with my wife and I, had you actually intended to eat at the reservation time, or if you were expecting to walk and to be immediately seated in the dining room, you'd be dissapointed. Food at both dinner and breakfast was quite good with obvious effort made to suit each diner.

Were we to return the Norwich, we'd certainly return for another opportunity to enjoy this wonderful house and the genuine care provided by the onsite owners.

1  Thank pandpCalifornia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights and had two dinners here as well. Great setting, lovely building and grounds and very convenient.
Chris and Sally are exceptional hosts and they and their very attentive staff go way out of their way to make you feel at home.
Room was spacious, very comfortable, and had all amenities you could want/need.
All meals were great, and the dinner menu offered great choices.
The location is great for catching an easy bus into town--stops across the street and it was a nice surprise to find the Rushcutters Pub 50 yards up the road--great outdoor seating area on the canal!

Think you really get what you pay for here, don't waste your time trying to save a few $'s--£'s, go ahead and treat yourself.You will be glad you did!

First visit to Norwich--would rate it as one of our favorite UK locales!

1  Thank ajgibb1
#2 of 50 in Norwich
Dunston Hall
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Holy Cross

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!