“weekend break”

The Old Rectory
Sleaford, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Found the Old Rectory online and booked two nights away for 3 couples.. It is always a risk when booking for others but it need not have been a worry. We ate in the restaurant the first evening and again could not fault the meal, it was superb. many thanks to Chris for making us so welcome and to Ollie for being a very efficient waiter in the drawing room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with a balcony, more than satisfied.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caroline G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Chose the Old Rectory from Trip Advisor and was not dissapointed. Although classed as a B&B it functions as a hotel. We stayed 4 nights and had a wonderfull meal every evening. Rooms are large, well equipped and well serviced. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners Chris & Sally.

2 Thank Fullofbeanz
March, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Spent just one night at the Old Rectory at the beginning of the month. It's was absolutely perfect. We had a warm welcome on arrival and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were spotless and room 5 has beautiful views from three windows. There was a lovely open fire burning away in the drawing room. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. We didn't stay for the evening meal (my husband is very fussy, steak and chips guy) but the smell coming from the kitchen was too die for. We will return there 100% and my husband has promised he will try there lovely dinner menu.

2 Thank Brooks2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Whilst attending an event in Norwich nearby we decided to stay in the area and pick this establishment based on the Tripadvisor reviews. We were warmly welcomed by the owner who provided me with a tour of the facilities before showing me to my room in the annex.

There is a spacious drawing room for guests to use with puzzles and books to keep you entertained during your stay. The location is very convenient for the city centre with ample free parking on site. There is also a pool for the summer.

Chris pointed out that our room was due for refurbishment in three weeks time as part of a rolling programme and the room was clean and tidy but rather dated with fussy decor, which I am sure the refurb will address. The bed was excellent, with quality bed linen, and we had an wonderful and peaceful nights sleep. The only slightly disappointment was the en-suite where the toilet had been placed in such a place that a 6ft 2 inch man hit his head when trying to use the toilet, and the shower delivering rather a small spray. There was only one bath sheet and one bath towel in the room for two people which meant that as a girl with longer hair I had to use a damp towel to dry my hair, I made Chris aware of this but housekeeping said this was policy. Chris didn't agree with this!

Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and very tasty. Unusually in my experience there was no buffet counter for cereals etc and we didn't realise if we wanted fruit etc we would need to ask for this in advance, meaning we just got a cooked breakfast and nothing else. Fruit juice is also provided rather than laid out and when I asked for a second glass, I was greeted with confused looks although this was eventually provided. Excellent quality local sauces and jams were provided, and be bought to take away. I also asked if there was gluten free bread available, and was told rather forcefully that I should have 'requested this in advance' although I was unaware of this having not stayed here before. The waitress did check with the kitchen and this was duly provided.

We didn't eat at this establishment due to our plans for the evening, but there is a well regarded restaurant on site and you are contacted shortly after booking to ask whether you would like to book a table for dinner.

Really lovely period building, with an enthusiastic and welcoming owner but I am not sure that the £130 a night price tag was a reflection of my experience. I would stay again, but at a slightly lower rate.

2 Thank FredaAtTheHelm
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed for just one night in November on business.
Nothing was too much trouble for Chris and his team and the price of bar snacks and beers, made an incredibly refreshing change. Too often I feel as though I've been ripped off, but at the Old Rectory, all was great value!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Coach house, the the end room so couldn't hear a mouse
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SteveShrewsbury
West Sussex
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I've lost count of how many times we've stayed at this delightful and quintessentially English establishment. Traditional with high values and superb quality. Good location, warm welcome, excellent dining with pre dinner drinks by the roaring fire, completed by a perfect breakfast to suite your needs made from local high quality produce. The owners are dedicated to their business and you and will do all they can to ensure your stay is a great one.

I will definitely be staying and dining again and would highly recommend it. A true Norfolk gem.

1 Thank Booozo
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed here for four nights and it was probably one of my best four nights away from home on business. I stayed with some colleagues and the welcome and attention we had from Chris and his staff was amazing. The bedrooms are so comfortable that I didn't really want to leave each morning. The bathroom was well appointed - a bath that fills up quickly and a separate, hot & powerful shower. Fluffy white towels and bathrobes just added to the luxury experience. My room was in the converted coach house.

The food at breakfast is freshly cooked and the choice is good, lots of locally sourced ingredients. We had dinner twice while we were here and both nights the food was beautifully cooked and presented.

I travel a lot for business and this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. The care Chris and his staff take to make you feel welcome far surpasses the anonymous chain hotels.
It is an ideal location for Norwich and the Broads and I would love to come back here for a holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,089 reviews

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!