I must say - this is one place I'd certainly go back to as it was a real joy to stay there and I'm so pleased that Chris booked us a table in advance despite my concerns at not having any idea what the food was like beforehand.
It has to be one of the best meals I've had. From their own marinated salmon, through the main courses and onto desserts, everything was just perfect. The menu is varied, the wine list well thought out - not massive but a good mix - and it was a real treat to eat there.
Chris is a great host and he runs a very tight ship - everything is in the right place, service is friendly and thoughtful and it's a lovely location in all respects.
It's just outside the centre of Norwich so not somewhere just to step outside the door and then hey, you're in the middle of it all, but it's not far if you have a car or don't mind paying for a taxi.
To be honest though, I really don't see the need to go outside the place as not only is the food out of this world, but it's very reasonably priced too.
Chris is very helpful - he's a walking library of all facts and figures not only on Norwich but also the whole area. We didn't get the chance to test him on general knowledge, but I'd certainly plump for him on my pub quiz team if he's in the area. Just another thing that makes staying there much more enjoyable than the "chains" we have now in every city/town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Rectory, Norwich's only AA 4* Gold 'Restaurant with Rooms' is a beautiful Georgian House, with adjoining Victorian Coach House, standing in an acre of mature secluded gardens on the eastern fringes of Norwich, overlooking the Yare valley and Thorpe Marshes nature reserve . We offer warm hospitality and friendly service in a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Every morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, cooked to order and served to your table. Our menu features local sausages, bacon, ham and eggs, Chef's own toasted muesli, thick yoghurt with home-made fruit compote, and thick cut toast. Our Dining Room is open Tuesday to Saturday evenings (closed Sunday / Monday), with a daily changing 2 AA Rosette menu featuring freshly prepared, locally sourced, seasonal produce. The elegant intimate, Georgian panelled room has just six tables so be sure to book dinner in advance as we regret we cannot guarantee availability of a table, nor a particular time, where dinner reservations have not been made prior to arrival. The Old Rectory is 2 miles from Norwich railway station (services to London, Cambridge, the Norfolk Coast and intermediate stations) and the city centre with its Norman Castle and Cathedral, medieval churches, excellent shopping facilities and open air market. Norwich International Airport (flights to Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and international flights via the KLM hub at Amsterdam Schipol) is 5 miles. The Norfolk Broads National Park and the sandy beaches of the east coast are a short drive, and many historic houses, nature reserves, gardens etc are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Old Rectory Restaurant with Rooms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Rectory Hotel Norwich
- Old Rectory Norwich
- Old Rectory Hotel Norwich