“Dont get carried away...”

The Old Rectory Restaurant with Rooms
England
“Dont get carried away...”
Reviewed 20 October 2008

The plus points, a friendly, happy to do anything welcome, a comfortable bed and a very quiet location. But I would have loved to have had the radiators turned on in my room before arrival, the rattle of the bathroom fan silenced, the wireless internet to work in my room and some decent coffee, both in the room and after dinner.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bristol
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Mum and I stayed here for a couple of nights and it was everything we could have hoped for. It's a lovely setting for a hotel, our room was large and very clean. Everybody is very friendly and helpful. Oh and the food is wonderful. A great place to return to after a busy day. We could not fault the hospitality and I would stay here again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Damaskfan
devon
Reviewed 14 September 2008

We have just returned from 4 fabulous days at The Rectory. The room had a very comfortable bed, with modern, clean bathroom and good quality furnishings. The whole hotel is in very good condition. The food is some of the best we have eaten anywhere! We meant to go out to eat 1 night, but enjoyed the meal the night before so much we ate in again. All 3 nights we ate there the menu was different...and delicious!

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — dull bedside lights
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2008

I must say - this is one place I'd certainly go back to as it was a real joy to stay there and I'm so pleased that Chris booked us a table in advance despite my concerns at not having any idea what the food was like beforehand.

It has to be one of the best meals I've had. From their own marinated salmon, through the main courses and onto desserts, everything was just perfect. The menu is varied, the wine list well thought out - not massive but a good mix - and it was a real treat to eat there.

Chris is a great host and he runs a very tight ship - everything is in the right place, service is friendly and thoughtful and it's a lovely location in all respects.

It's just outside the centre of Norwich so not somewhere just to step outside the door and then hey, you're in the middle of it all, but it's not far if you have a car or don't mind paying for a taxi.

To be honest though, I really don't see the need to go outside the place as not only is the food out of this world, but it's very reasonably priced too.

Chris is very helpful - he's a walking library of all facts and figures not only on Norwich but also the whole area. We didn't get the chance to test him on general knowledge, but I'd certainly plump for him on my pub quiz team if he's in the area. Just another thing that makes staying there much more enjoyable than the "chains" we have now in every city/town.

• Liked — Service, Food, Room
  • Disliked — Small car park - hey, I had to think of something!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 September 2008

I was travelling with work in East Anglia and booked the Old Rectory to escape the usual chain hotels aimed at business travellers.

I cannot think of a single thing to fault the hotel. The welcome was very warm and I was made to feel completely at home despite travelling on my own. The room was fabulous: very comfortable, tastefully furnished and with a digital flat screen television. The bathroom was spotlessly clean with a huge walk in power shower, decent 'freeby' soaps and a bath robe. The food in the restaurant was beautifully cooked: proscuitto and parmesan starter and a delicious duck breast for a main. Breakfast was equally fab: home-made muesli and a top quality full English breakfast.

In summary: charming staff, lovely hotel in a peaceful setting, great hotel, delicious food and very good value. Thoroughly recommend it!

• Liked — Really comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Jimbo7777
E Anglia
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I cannot understand the person who was angry not to be able to book a single night only.
This is a superb hotel, where you feel part of a house-party enjoying great food and wine. This is not the hotel to book if you intend to use it just as a bedroom!
The sense of occasion is enhanced by the spectacular drawing room and beautiful restaurant. Rooms are chic and are there to be enjoyed.
The chef is first-class and uses top quality local suppliers.
The staff are friendly and professional and there is always a great welcome from Chris, the host.

• Liked — boutique nature and great food and wine
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Sevenoaks
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Having read all the reviews, i tried to book a room for 1 night on the 13 th sept ( saturday night ). I was told the hotel wouldnt accept a 1 night booking as it meant that the hotel would then struggle to sell the room for friday night ( the 12 th ). The only way they would take a saturday night only booking, was if someone had booked only friday night and were checking out saturday. Would you like to leave your name and number and we can call you if we decide to make a room availiable to you ....? My reply was, No Thankyou. Im attending a wedding and i need a confirmed booking. I dont want to find out a week before the wedding that i dont have a room, and then i cant get another one somwhere else. Have you got a room i can have? Yes i have a room and no you cant have it. I told him that In reality his suggestion of calling me if one becomes availiable is of no help at all. I will stay somwhere else then. Yes ok , well its our hotel and thats the way we want it. Weve been here 14 years and its the way we want to conduct our business. Good luck then youll never ever get mine with that attitude. I hate it when people treat you like they are doing you a favor. In fact im doing you a favor by paying you money in return for accomodation!

I wished him a good day and that was the end of the conversation. It might be rated No 1, and clearly i wont be staying there, however thats not the attitude i expect of any hotel.

Certainly for booking thats a 1 out of 10 from me, and it makes me wonder what else they cant do.

In total contrast, i phoned the Norfolk Mead Hotel and they couldnt have been more helpfull, so thats where im staying.

Stayed August 2008
BEST WESTERN Annesley House Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett

Been to The Old Rectory Restaurant with Rooms? Share your experiences!