The absolutely wonderful thing about this place is the food. Simply fabulous, and they were incredibly flexible catering for the dietary restrictions of someone in our group, which was very much appreciated (and all too rare). The staff are great too, welcoming, warm and very willing to help.
And now the niggle...it is a small one, but worth passing on. On arriving, we were somewhat disappointed with our room, although clean and pleasant, it just did not match the price tag. We were in the Annexe, and when we asked for a tour of the main house we dicovered the cause of our disappointment. The rooms in the main house are great, exactly as a small, high end boutique hotel should be. Tastefully decorated with period features, and are really worth the price. The annexe is really not of the same quality. In summary, we would stay here again, definitely, but only in the main house. The annexe lets this place down.
One other point worth noting - the radiators are turned off in the rooms as part of the hotel's environmental policy - if you let them know time of arrival, they will heat the room before you show up - essential in winter!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Rectory, Norwich's only AA 4* Gold 'Restaurant with Rooms' is a beautiful Georgian House, with adjoining Victorian Coach House, standing in an acre of mature secluded gardens on the eastern fringes of Norwich, overlooking the Yare valley and Thorpe Marshes nature reserve . We offer warm hospitality and friendly service in a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Every morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, cooked to order and served to your table. Our menu features local sausages, bacon, ham and eggs, Chef's own toasted muesli, thick yoghurt with home-made fruit compote, and thick cut toast. Our Dining Room is open Tuesday to Saturday evenings (closed Sunday / Monday), with a daily changing 2 AA Rosette menu featuring freshly prepared, locally sourced, seasonal produce. The elegant intimate, Georgian panelled room has just six tables so be sure to book dinner in advance as we regret we cannot guarantee availability of a table, nor a particular time, where dinner reservations have not been made prior to arrival. The Old Rectory is 2 miles from Norwich railway station (services to London, Cambridge, the Norfolk Coast and intermediate stations) and the city centre with its Norman Castle and Cathedral, medieval churches, excellent shopping facilities and open air market. Norwich International Airport (flights to Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and international flights via the KLM hub at Amsterdam Schipol) is 5 miles. The Norfolk Broads National Park and the sandy beaches of the east coast are a short drive, and many historic houses, nature reserves, gardens etc are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Old Rectory reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Rectory Hotel Norwich
- Old Rectory Norwich
- Old Rectory Hotel Norwich