We have just had two very comfortable nights at The Old Rectory which is a small hotel specialising in quintessential English comfort and hospitality, with log fires and an elegant sitting room. The welcome was personal, and we felt like valued guests throughout. Tea offered in the sitting room with a log fire was welcome on a cold afternoon, and our quiet well appointed room a welcome retreat. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom immaculate. We had opted for a winter warmer package which included dinner each night. Menus are poured over in the sitting room over an appetiser, and the dinner itself was a culinary treat. The wines list also is carefully thought out and contained a small but excellent selection of good value wines from around the world. The only caution is that the hotel is a fair way from the city centre, but we did the walk from the city centre in just over half an hour in attempt to make room for our dinner on the second night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Rectory, Norwich's only AA 4* Gold 'Restaurant with Rooms' is a beautiful Georgian House, with adjoining Victorian Coach House, standing in an acre of mature secluded gardens on the eastern fringes of Norwich, overlooking the Yare valley and Thorpe Marshes nature reserve . We offer warm hospitality and friendly service in a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Every morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, cooked to order and served to your table. Our menu features local sausages, bacon, ham and eggs, Chef's own toasted muesli, thick yoghurt with home-made fruit compote, and thick cut toast. Our Dining Room is open Tuesday to Saturday evenings (closed Sunday / Monday), with a daily changing 2 AA Rosette menu featuring freshly prepared, locally sourced, seasonal produce. The elegant intimate, Georgian panelled room has just six tables so be sure to book dinner in advance as we regret we cannot guarantee availability of a table, nor a particular time, where dinner reservations have not been made prior to arrival. The Old Rectory is 2 miles from Norwich railway station (services to London, Cambridge, the Norfolk Coast and intermediate stations) and the city centre with its Norman Castle and Cathedral, medieval churches, excellent shopping facilities and open air market. Norwich International Airport (flights to Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and international flights via the KLM hub at Amsterdam Schipol) is 5 miles. The Norfolk Broads National Park and the sandy beaches of the east coast are a short drive, and many historic houses, nature reserves, gardens etc are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Old Rectory reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Rectory Hotel Norwich
- Old Rectory Norwich
- Old Rectory Hotel Norwich