I wanted to surprise my other half with a night to celebrate our tenth anniversary in the city where we fell in love. Trawled the internet for a hotel that would give us a bit of luxury and a good base for Christmas shopping. Found the Old Rectory, made contact with the owners who couldn't have been more helpful. Had originally planned to go to a restaurant in Norwich for the evening but read rave reviews of the hotels own chef so opted to eat there. The food was absolutely stunning, best meal i've had in a long time. Service was unhurried and relaxed.
Can't work out why this place only has two stars? We stayed in room 7. Spotlessly clean, very welcoming, a real treat. Professionally run, friendly, warm, couldn't want for a better service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Rectory, Norwich's only AA 4* Gold 'Restaurant with Rooms' is a beautiful Georgian House, with adjoining Victorian Coach House, standing in an acre of mature secluded gardens on the eastern fringes of Norwich, overlooking the Yare valley and Thorpe Marshes nature reserve . We offer warm hospitality and friendly service in a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Every morning, you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, cooked to order and served to your table. Our menu features local sausages, bacon, ham and eggs, Chef's own toasted muesli, thick yoghurt with home-made fruit compote, and thick cut toast. Our Dining Room is open Tuesday to Saturday evenings (closed Sunday / Monday), with a daily changing 2 AA Rosette menu featuring freshly prepared, locally sourced, seasonal produce. The elegant intimate, Georgian panelled room has just six tables so be sure to book dinner in advance as we regret we cannot guarantee availability of a table, nor a particular time, where dinner reservations have not been made prior to arrival. The Old Rectory is 2 miles from Norwich railway station (services to London, Cambridge, the Norfolk Coast and intermediate stations) and the city centre with its Norman Castle and Cathedral, medieval churches, excellent shopping facilities and open air market. Norwich International Airport (flights to Manchester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and international flights via the KLM hub at Amsterdam Schipol) is 5 miles. The Norfolk Broads National Park and the sandy beaches of the east coast are a short drive, and many historic houses, nature reserves, gardens etc are within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Old Rectory reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Rectory Hotel Norwich
- Old Rectory Norwich
- Old Rectory Hotel Norwich