“Great Hampton”

Hampton Inn Wheeling
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
“Great Hampton”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I travel across the country several times a year, from NYC to KC, and even if I could go further, I ALWAYS stop at this Hampton Inn. Not only is it clean, but it also has a great staff. I always take the shuttle to one of my favorite restaurants--that way I can have a glass of wine, and they will come pick me up. Love this hotel,,,, but make sure you have reservations, it always seem to be full.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thanks for that teriffic review! I can't tell you how much it means to us that you stay with us every time you pass this way. We really appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. I'm so glad that we continue to exceed your expectations.
Thanks also for your kind words about our shuttle service. As you probably know, we have the only hotel shuttle in the Wheeling area. I'm so pleased that we are able to take you to a nice restaurant where you can enjoy a glass of wine without worrying about driving. That is what hospitality is all about!
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will be making your cross country jaunt again soon! We look forward to seeing you again. Happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for one night on a business trip. The staff were incredibly welcoming and accommodating -- ready to anything that would make my stay an enjoyable one. The room itself was great and had a working area with lots of outlets which are often few and far between in other hotel rooms. The evening of my staff guests were treated to a free barbecued meal which was delicious. The breakfast the next morning was also free and offered lovely omelettes instead of the usual powdered eggs you usually get when breakfast is included. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for that great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Thanks also for your comments on our room layout. We have really made an effort to arrange the furnishings and outlets in such a way as to accomodate guest who need to conduct business from their rooms. I'm pleased that you found the room to your liking.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will find your way back to Wheeling very soon. Happy travels!
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

ive been staying here for almost a year now. one week a month. never have i found better people representing a hotel or anything else. the place is great but the people who work here are likely irreplaceable. im lucky to have found this place and the hampton inn wheeling is lucky to have such amazing people representing and working here. as always. thank you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Melissaaaaaaaa
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I'm so glad that you and your family, continue to enjoy your stays with us. It has been a real pleasure for our team to get to know you a little!
Thanks also for those very kind words about our staff. To be called amazing and irreplacable is pretty high praise. I'm very pleased that you feel that way. I will be sure to read your review to our team at our next meeting. They will certainly be thrilled to hear what you have written.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will continue to stay with us for many months to come. Happy travels!
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while I was in town for business. This place is amazing. The rooms are spotless and comfortable. The staff is courteous and friendly. The breakfast is wonderful and the aquatic center was just what I need after a long trip. I would, and will, stay whenever I travel to the area!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ckalliance
Thanks for that great review! It is always nice to hear from a Tripadvisor Senior Contributor. I'm sure you have a great many travel experiences to help form a basis for comparison. I'm glad that, in your mind, we stood out as an exceptional experience.
Thanks also for your kind words about our Aquatic Center. I'm glad that it was just what you needed after a long trip! There is nothing for unwinding tired muscles like a steam shower or a soak in one of our hot tubs. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it!
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will visit us again soon. Happy travels!
Atlanta ga
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just like Candy's review written about staying this last weekend. EVERYONE of the staff welcome us and make us feel like kings and queens. I was with a group of about 15 people who are making this fest an annual event and we plan to always stay at the Ha,prom because of the customer service we get here.
Rarely leave a tip for house keeping but really my husband and I plus some of our other friends felt the need to leave tips because of the stellar service we received.

This Hampton should be a model for all hotels across the world. I travel a LOT so this says a lot about the impeccable service we received!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for that fantastic review! It is great to hear from some of our Bluesfest guests. What a great event for the city of Wheeling. Everyone seems to have a great time! I'm so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Thanks also for your kind words about our housekeeping team. I'm glad that everything you encountered at our hotel was spotlessly clean. It was so nice of you to leave something for them. I'm sure it was much appreciated.
Once again, thanks for the review! I hope you will stay with us again soon. We would love to make you feel like kings and queens again! Happy travels!
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The Hampton Inn in Wheeling asks their guests, "How may we exceed your expectations? " My expectations are pretty high for this hotel; my husband and I have been here several times. And yet, they have amazed me yet again. Stephen asked us at check in if we were attending the festival, and if we knew when we would need the shuttle, he said he would have it ready. My husband jokingly asked him to have the Pirate score for him for the festival was done. Stephen did. The shuttle had already left when we were ready to go (we had never given a time to leave). Tom volunteered to drive us so we didn't have to wait. Leo was prompt and polite when picking us up, and asked us our schedule for the next day so that he'd be ready to drive us. Breakfast was hot and beautifully presented. Tracy K. and Jen C. made sure that our tables were kept clean and that we had enough to eat. Jen went so far as to offer cinnamon rolls to us as they were hot from oven, when they were at their best. Jen Tiano always treats us like old, welcome friends. Come to the Hampton in Wheeling. I love this hotel! Always relaxing and welcoming.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candy G
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thanks for that terrific review! I'm so glad that our hotel did not give you the blues! haha! Seriously though, I'm pleased that our hotel, and in particular, our team was able to exceed your expectations.
Speaking of our team, thanks for being so gracious as to recognize so many of them by name. Because you did so, we will recognize and reward everyone you mentioned at our next team gathering. Thanks again for making that possible!
Once again, thanks for the review! I hope you will stay with us again soon (why wait until next years Blues Festival?) Happy travels!
Pataskala, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hotel was perfect. Fast, friendly check in. Free parking just steps from the door. Free shuttle to local attractions (within 5 miles) including Oglebay and the casino.

Special pizza and pop deal on Sunday night and hotel-sponsored barbeque (both included in hotel price) on Monday night makes this a great pick for families on a budget. Coupled with fresh warm cookies, iced tea and lemonade at check in, fresh fruit, and a free high-quality coffee bar available all day and a free breakfast including waffles, scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal with all the fixings, fresh seasonal fruit, regular and Greek yogurt, cereals, breads and pastries--even packets of instant grits were available. I got the feeling that if I had asked for it the Hampton staff would have done their best to find my breakfast favorite. For those who are hard-core breakfast fans Bob Evans is a football field walk through the paved parking lot away. All of this was available in a super clean and friendly lobby and breakfast area that sported a beautiful large aquarium and a flat screen TV.

When getting ready to book this hotel could not find details on aquatic center so here goes:
Open 6am to 10pm. Uber-clean pool (no slime around the edges) bigger than it looks in photos. Noticed the handicapped-accessible lowering chair available in the corner but did not ask staff to show it in use. Easy single step down to 1 foot area with a curtain of water dropping from the ceiling (heavenly on tight shoulders.) That area also has four powerful "fountains" that bubble up to just above the water's surface. They felt fabulous on a tight low back and sore feet. Four small spray jets intermittently send watergun size streams of water across this shallow area. Another step down (with a secure handrail like the first) puts you into about 2.5 feet of water. The pool gradually slopes down to approximately 5 feet deep. At the far end is a jet that can be screwed in tighter or looser to allow a variable strength current to flow from the deep end to the shallow end. A stronger current challenges you to a great cardio workout. The gentler current coupled with the jets on the sides allows you to float in a lazy-river-like style while enjoying the sunlight through the skylights, The water is a comfortable mid-temp, cool enough for a hot day and yet there is a warming area at about 9 o'clock from the water curtain. One day the glass doors to the brick patio were open and the breeze was nice but not needed. There was none of that chlorine odor associated with indoor pools (I believe this pool may be just slightly saltwater.)

Showering before entering was a dream with a rainfall shower surrounded by several other body sprays in an alcove by the warm, sparkling clean indoor Jacuzzi fitted with variably powerful jets. There are two steam rooms (one male, one female), each with a rainfall shower and sporting clean benches and menthol aromatherapy. Also inside are lounge chairs and chairs with small end tables, clean and colorful noodles, lockers, fresh towels, and a family restroom that smartly has a toilet area and a separate sink area both behind the same door. This helps harried moms secure little ones but keeps you from jamming three or more people into a stall.

Outdoors on a nice patio area is a "tree" with four metal buckets that fill with water and drop it on the impeccably clean brick patio area that has several dancing fountains that activate when the "push here for fun" button on the wall is pressed. the outdoor area is rounded out by a second nice Jacuzzi and more loungers. Be sure to take your room key if you go outside as you might need it to get back in if the glass doors are closed.

The other beautiful outdoor area was the teak garden with an active fire pit. A great place to lounge, daydream, or meet new friends. As Wheeling seems to have a sizeable smoking population, a separate smoker's gazebo several yards from the garden and entry way was also available and nicely appointed.

The workout facility open had very new looking equipment: three treadmills, three ellipticals, two bikes, free weights and a tower system with exercise stations, a Swiss ball, mirrored (spotless) walls and multiple flat-screened TVs.

Was able to get the quiet AC cold enough I needed the blankets in July! There were even two robes in the closet and doubles of higher-end bath products in the bathroom. Curved shower rod for the combo tub and massaging shower head. No gross, moldy bathmats stuck to the bottom of the tub. Fridge and microwave in the room as well as a larger leather office chair (my sizeable rump really appreciated) and even indirect "mood lighting" or nightlight depending on the crowd you travel with.

My new place to runaway for some peace and quiet! Just book it.

Room Tip: Hearing impaired rooms are off the lobby (a noisy area). Aquatic center and gym are on second floor...