“A Gem on the Island”
Review of Golden Chopsticks

Golden Chopsticks
Ranked #19 of 111 Restaurants in Wheeling
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Telephone: (304) 232-2888. One of the best Chinese restaurants in Wheeling and the Ohio Valley. Excellent food, nice atmosphere, affordable prices. Open most holidays. This restaurant does not have its own website, but has been reviewed on many internet websites.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This restaurant was surprising to find on the Wheeling Island in the middle of many homes, but worth the trip and the GPS following. The restaurant advertises itself as "Chinese Gourmet Dining at a Reasonable Price" and we found this to be true. We ordered food for 7 during the late afternoon and were welcomed with much attention and great service. The food was very tasty and prepared to our specifications. The main area of Wheeling does not have an over-abundance of places to eat, so we were pleased to find a wide variety of menu options that tasted delicious. One interesting note: as we waited for our food to be prepared, we realized that Christmas songs set to Jazz arrangements were playing in the background - not exactly what we would have expected, but it gave us a good laugh.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I was invited to a dinner with Dr Jao and more doctors, and the food was one of the best I ever tried, egg rolls, special friend rice and all the food, tasted very good, thanks a lot for the wonderful service, I will visit you again soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We visited this place after reading all the gourmet reviews!! The only thing gourmet about it was the price we payed for a very average dinner. Carry out chinese places serve better food than this one. The steamed rice was ice cold!! Decor and ambiance needs updates. Tiny tables, no gourmet setting. Dishes to flatware silverware was obsolete. I feel bad for other reviewers who havent tasted gourmet chinese food to call this place gourmet. ITS FAR FROM GOURMET. AVERAGE RESTAURANT!!

1  Thank Renu R
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I went here twice on my trip to Wheeling. The owner is one of the friendliest I've ever seen, making an effort to chat and connect with all the diners. When he learned I was on a business trip to Wheeling, he promised me a free alcoholic drink if I came again, so I did.

Unfortunately, neither of the dishes I had were very impressive. The brussel sprouts appetizer was good (though I prefer them roasted), and I like that hot tea came with every meal, but I can't recommend any dish with battered chicken. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the General Tso's chicken mild, because it made it pretty tasteless; however, the next time I tried their special, the Thai Chili Chicken, and the pieces of chicken were so thin and wrapped in so much batter and sauce that I couldn't taste them at all. Unfortunate! But still, great service -- better luck with other dishes.

1  Thank LauraRenee08
Reviewed 21 October 2013

this place does not LOOK like your typical Chinese Restaurant, and it ISN"T.....The food is FABULOUS, and i wish i lived closer so I could eat there a lot more often...I was there with 3 other people, and what everyone got was excellent and very reasonably priced..It was most assuredly the best Chinese I have ever had, and i do not say this lightly, cause I have had some very good food in NYC in China Town,and also in San Francisco..The place is exceptionally clean, even the bathrooms, the food is great, and the Owner even comes by your table to say hello, thank you for stopping by, and checks to see how everything is, and if you might need anything else....He and his wife , also greet you at the door to seat you, and they even have a small gaming room with slot machines inside cause it is on Wheeling island ,close to Wheeling Downs..So for those there on a gambling trip, this is the place to go , cause you can play slots while your food is cooked to order...

Been to Golden Chopsticks? Share your experiences!