“Ye Olde Alpha - a must”

Ranked #4 of 109 Restaurants in Wheeling
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ye Olde Alpha is a Wheeling restaurant institution, and celebrates its 85th year in 2017. We pride ourselves on fresh, quality food with impeccable service
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Ye Olde Alpha - a must”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Do not visit Wheeling without stopping for a meal at the Alpha. It is a local restaurant with a diverse menu--it is possible to get a fried bologna sandwich as well as very on trend ethnic dishes. The long history and close community connection are part of the charm. The taxidermy collection on the "bar side" is a trademark. Great sandwiches, updated pub fare, variety of burgers (buffalo, duck, lamb). The price is reasonable. On my most recent visit, we had dinner for four (no alcoholic drinks) for $75, which included a generous tip.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank mwatboos

Culpeper, Virginia
“Variety of good foods”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were taken here by the shuttle service at our hotel. The food is plentiful and good. Lots of locals think so too apparently as everyone seemed to know everyone. Try it, I think you'll like it!

Visited April 2014
Charleston, WV
“Incredible food options”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The unassuming bar/restaurant offered some of the best food ever. The pork shank as suggested was one of the best things we have ever eaten. It was such a delicious treat! Can't wait to go back to Ye Olde Alpha when working in the area again!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank travelchrislisa
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Always Worth a Stop”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've stopped twice now when in town for business. It's a pretty casual, very family friendly place with a bar stocked with locals. Their menu is huge but the quality doesn't waiver. Though they offer a lot of items, it doesn't taste like you're eating pre prepared frozen meals. I had wings one time and steak another. You can eat for days and not try everything on their menu. I will always stop in when I'm in town.

• Visited April 2014
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Local place but great for out of town visitors.”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I found this place from local reviews and it was a GEM OF A FIND! Such an odd, eclectic menu with italian, greek, latin and american foods but everything was perfect! If I lived in wheeling this would be my weekly place! It's not fancy but it's charming and welcoming. My husband had the chicken pot pie, which was in a folded pastry crust instead of a pie and was superb. Probably best chicken pot pie I've tasted. We shared the appetizer sampler which was great comfort food but HUGE portions. Come to this place really hungry if you want an appetizer and food, portions are large. I had Chicken picata which i substituted mashed potatoes for polenta and it came with DELICIOUS green beans and a slice of pineapple. I'd order it again and again. For desert we shared the ho ho cake and still had to take half home, Very rich but really delicious! We are huge fans and would make the 2 hour drive from Columbus just for dinner again!

Visited April 2014