“Nice place but pricey”

Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
“Nice place but pricey”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Staff is friendly, room was nice but no fridge or microwave. Thought the bed was going to be nice and comfy but it is hard as a brick, and the pillows are firm. my neck and back ache. I am on vacation from chicago so it doesn't look like we would recommend a stay overnight here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank blondey20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Rooms are spacious, simply furnished and very clean. Bathroom was immaculate and very stylish with glass amber washbowls and a very IKEA- like faucet. The standard coffee machine is a one cup Keurig with a selection of coffees.
The pillows need some help- very soft and flat. Bed was comfortable, but I like a firm mattress.
I booked their "Play and Stay" package. Room rate was $99 per night plus tax and $25 in play credit. If you are a first time guest, sign up for the player's card (free) and they add another $20. This rate is $50 less than the Springhill Suites and about $40 less than the Hampton.
Valet is $3 and very prompt.
Food is very high priced and is just so-so. I never eat in hotels anyway-but was starving and had a tolerable pastrami sandwich -1/2 sandwich and some really good pasta salad and a black cherry soda was $9.25.
For an overnight visit, this travel professional highly recommends the Wheeling Island Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank globetrotteraz
Marietta, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed here one night while in town for the casino. The room was very nice and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. The room was clean and looked to be recently remodeled. The only compliant with the hotel is there is not a fridge in the room. The room is relatively expensive unless you visit frequently and receive a discount, so to not have a fridge for that price is really unexpected. We were fortunate to dine downstairs at The Point and had several items we would have loved to take with us, but with no fridge in the room, we had to waste a large amount of really good steak. Overall, we would stay here again, but would bring a cooler so we could have cold beverages and a place to store leftovers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
central city pa
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I used to come here a lot and I live over 2 hours away, used to come 3 or 4 times a month. Each time I visit this casino it gets worse and worse, and today I went to what will be my final trip here, They give you free play, but forget about winning anything with it! Slots are soooo tight! The buffet is simply awful the food is like they saved all the leftovers all week and put them out on the weekend. The smell of cigarette smoke will make you sick. No big winners or happy people anywhere, just glum faces. I look for this place to go under very soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank julia a
SCOTTOWN
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at Wheeling Island over the 4th of July and had an absolute blast.GREAT FUN!!!!!! The staff was wonderful,friendly and courteous;from check-in at the front desk; security personal,house-keeping,and at the buffett. Every one was so nice. Our casino hostess made our room reservations; got us free meals. The room was clean and comfortable, king size bed so easy to fall asleep in! Best part was the winning! Played the slots;won 9 jackpots,my first one I won using my free play. Don't waste your time at the Meadows or the Mountaineer,Go to Wheeling. Fantastic ,YOU Will Have Fun!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sherry S
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Be aware this is a heavy smoking casino! We were able to get a non smoking room- which was a nice size- semi comfortable bed.. Our room did not smell like smoke as I've read in other reviews. The bedding had a few old soiled spots ( which was clearly ignored by the maid staff) - the window shades had marks ( almost looked like someone had wiped their dirty hands on them) - this was taken care of promptly upon our complaint. The staff seemed very nice and courteous. It is an older casino on a slow economical area. Don't expect 5 star!! We had fun playing the slots/tables and betting the dogs... May or may not get a room here again but overall we had fun.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amarieb23
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I stayed for one night in April 2013. The room appearance was nice and clean but smelled terrible of stale smoke. I was also to have a king bed and ended up with two queen beds due to a error on their part. This was also supposed to be a non-smoking room. I told the front desk when I checked out and she said I should of said something and they would of put a machine in to rid the smoke odor. The room should of not smelled to begin with and housekeeping should of taken care of the problem when they cleaned the room earlier. This hotel has no pool or hot tub or any other extras. For the price, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank DannoE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
#1 of 8 in Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
The McLure Hotel & Suites
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!