“Wonderful hotel, outstanding service”
Review of The Greenbrier

The Greenbrier
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful hotel, outstanding service”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had heard a lot about The Greenbrier over the years, but had never had the opportunity to go there. My wife and I attended a reunion meeting recently, and could easily see what all the talk was about. The hotel is huge (731 rooms, all different, according to our bellman) and beautifully decorated, although some might consider it a bit over the top. We thought it looked wonderful. Our room was very large, with a big walk-in closet, although the bathroom was on the small side. Our bed was very comfortable, however, and we were very pleased with the location of the room. The food in the venues we attended was excellent, although rather pricey ($27 for the breakfast buffet - a great buffet, but perhaps not that great). On the other hand, the service is terrific, with lots of staff, all very attentive and helpful. We were somewhat surprised that the two meals which were served in private rooms for our group did not measure up to the quality of the meals we had at the restaurants, although the service was the same high standard. The grounds are lovely, and there are lots of activities - an excellent fitness center, spa, pool, bowling, golf, riding, even falconry, to name just the principal ones. I took a carriage ride which provided a great view of the golf courses and the surrounding mountains, and it was most pleasant. We also took the tour of the former bunker built to serve the House and Senate in the event of a nuclear attack, and found it quite interesting. We enjoyed our stay very much, and would love to have an opportunity of returning at some time in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to The Greenbrier! Thank you so for pointing out our 55+ activities. In addition to the activities that you highlighted, we are also excited to offer ice skating, off-road driving, indoor & outdoor tennis, kayaking and more. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I'm a travel writer and have been visiting The Greenbrier since 1989.
It is my favorite of the best places in the world! I like everything about
the Greenbrier, and always enjoy looking at all the photos of
famous people who have visited this truly magnificent place. I like telling stories about The Greenbrier - about General Eisenhower, Debbie
Reynolds, and "Mayo" - one of the Greenbrier's bell men who years ago
was the D.J. when they had a disco. The Casino is a casino player's
dream. Many of the players have become regulars, and many of us
have developed wonderful friendships. I'm looking forward to the day
that I'll get to meet Jim Justice, the owner, in person.

Room Tip: I'm pleased with all the rooms. I do enjoy, however, overlooking the main entrance and seeing...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shirley M
We love to hear from loyal guests such as yourself! Described as Monte Carlo meets Gone with the Wind, The Greenbrier's Casino Club is a relatively new amenity that combines high-roller thrills and high-class style to create an unforgettable gaming experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Casino Club on your next visit!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

So if you have read any of my other reviews, I love hotels. I love old hotels, I love history, and charm and food and nice people... This is my FAVORITE one. EVER. It has it all. History, charm, luxury, the nicest people, great food. We went for a work trip for my husband. We arrived, and there had been a mix up with his group reservation, everyone had a room but us. No problem, it was taken care of while I sipped a glass of champagne. Bags and car whisked away without even a hassle. We arrived in our room, the bags were already there. The room was perfect. Not too big, but a huge closet, for back in the day when people got to stay there for a month. We had requested a crib for our five month old, and with the room mix up, it wasn't there yet. I called the front desk and it was delivered and set up within ten minutes.

I abandoned my husband and child and ran to the spa for my massage and facial. I swear my facial was a fresh pumpkin pie rubbed on face, it smelled delicious. I was so relaxed, all I was missing was an actual pumpkin pie. But I bet if I had asked someone would have gone and baked one for me (they are that nice). I got a little lost on my way back to our room, the rooms are just so grand and with my gawking, I wasn't really paying attention in my post massage/ pumpkin pie stupor. We had prearranged with the concierge for a babysitter during our dinner events. I was a little nervous (new mom, five month old, never had a real babysitter before), but Bonita arrived early, and immediately I was at ease with her. She is amazing. I need her to move so she can babysit all the time. Or rather, I'll just move there.

I'll stop with my play by play of the weekend, but to sum it up, I've been a lot of places. The difference with this place is they make you feel good. They are so nice. You can tell they remember the regulars. And I know why people are regulars. I want to be a regular. I'm sure it's part of what you pay for, but it's like in my massage that I didn't realize my back was so ache-y until someone started massaging it... I didn't realize I have been missing this experience until I had it. These guys know how to make your experience. I recommend it, highly. Book it... and stay a few days longer than you meant to.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are so incredibly happy to hear that as a new mother you were able to fully relax in our five-star mineral spa and feel confident with the babysitter so that you could enjoy a well-deserved evening out with your husband. We hope to welcome you and your family back to The Greenbrier for years to come!
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is a massive property, with gorgeous, immaculately maintained public spaces. Many of the rooms are apparently under renovation; our small, out-of-date bathroom looked like it hadn't been touched since the 1940s.

Our first impression was that our room looked like an 11-year-old girl's room, with too, too many flowers everywhere. But if you get in the spirit of the place, you can really enjoy it. The food was good, the service was excellent, the facilities have every conceivable activity you'd want, and the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for highlighting that The Greenbrier features the unique style of legendary interior decorator Dorothy Draper, known for her vibrant colors, floral patterns and bold contrasts. We look forward to your next visit!
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The staff was friendly but professional. The history of the resort is very interesting and the staff are very willing to answer questions about The Greenbrier. My husband shoots at The Gun Club and enjoys the coaching of Curtis. I had the best massage anywhere from Teresa. The Spa is excellent. The indoor pool is warm and very enjoyable. Go during the week when it is quiet, kids are in school and you can enjoy the ambience of the resort.

Room Tip: You might hear the trains going through town from some areas of the hotel. Ask about it when you boo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent couple's getaway. We are so glad to hear that your husband enjoyed the 100-year old Gun Club (1913-2013) and that you enjoyed your massage in our Five-Star mineral spa. We look forward to welcoming you back for another couple's getaway!
Kilauea, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The room prices were reasonable considering the fame of this hotel and its attraction as a historic resort, fascinatingly huge and borderline gaudy. Nice staff, willing to help, upgraded my room, took me on a tour. Watch out for the costs! I had a baked potato to go for $12 (first they charged me $17, and the maitre d' saw my point and dropped the cost, though the server would not). You really need to budget a lot of money for your stay to dine there three meals of the day. I did not like the room, felt like I was in a cubicle in a warren of rooms, insufficient light. I am sure it is WONDERFUL at Christmas with so many activities and great for vacationing families. As a business solo, well, it wasn't my cup of tea. And it's fascinating for its size, a classic. I was upgraded to a big cottage, so nice of them to do this. The bathtub water came out rusty brown for a while, that was disconcerting. All in all, it's a grand dame of hotels and one for the vacationing family with money to spare.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
TheGreenbrier, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. The Greenbrier Hotel is celebrating it’s 100th anniversary and The Greenbrier Resort has a 235 year history of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. We are proud to offer our guests the option of fourteen unique restaurants, cafés and lounges - all on property! Your feeling that the value of your dining and culinary experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. You are correct that the Holiday Season is a wonderful time to visit; from sipping hot chocolate while watching our weekly tree lighting to enjoying unparalleled shopping on our hidden 5th Avenue, America's Resort is the perfect place to create timeless memories with your family this holiday season. Should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay further I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
New Jersey girl
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We went to the Greenbrier to celebrate my birthday and had a really good time. I felt like I had walked back into the past. The resort has been around since the early 1900's and it still has that old elegant feel, but with modern touches. The service throughout the resort was excellent. All the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

The room was not particularly large, but was very cozy. The beds were extremely comfortable. And there was turn-down service with mints on the pillow. Lots of floral wallpaper throughout the resort.

We had dinner at the Main Dining Room the first night and the food was very good. (Prices for everything at the entire resort were quite high. Don't expect this to be a bargain trip!) The second night we took the shuttle to Sam Snead's and had another very good meal. The wait-staff overheard me mention that it was my birthday. When we ordered dessert, it came out the candle and Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate. Very nice touch.

We had a spa package, so I had a massage, a pedicure, a body scrub and a soak. Heaven!

We took the Bunker tour which I would recommend to everyone. A fascinating stepback into the Cold War era.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. We don't play golf, but there is a world class golf course on the premises.

In the evening there is really not much going on, but they do have a casino, so we stopped there briefly both nights we were there.

I wish we had more time. I would have liked to check out the falconry. Where else could I see something like that?

The only significant downside was that check-in was a mess. It took us 1/2 hour to get to the front of the line. Not enough staff to handle the rush of people at 3 pm.

If you go in with the knowledge that you will be spending a lot of money, relax and enjoy the elegance of days-gone-by. Wonderful trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at The Greenbrier! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to introducing you to falconry during your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!