Drove two hours out of our way to stay at the Greenbrier. What a waste! Grounds are beautiful, but the resort is in major need of renovations. Carpet in our room was dirty and had several tears. Windowsills had visible dry rot. And tacky large flowers on wallpaper, curtains, carpet would drive anybody crazy. The carpet in the hallways on the main floor was filthy with pieces of trash everywhere. We arrived around midnight, and decided to try the casino, which was empty, only to be told that my husband requires a jacket and trousers to get in. My husband had designer jeans on, Gucci shoes, $20,000. Rolex, and $400. cashmere sweater, but that wasn't good enough for their empty casino. They even offered to loan him pants and jacket that they apparently loan to other unlucky guests. Disgusting. Having arrived late the previous night, we came down the next morning at about 10:40AM, only to be told that the breakfast was over at 10:30, and lunch won't start till 11:30. The only place we could get coffee was some coffee shop down the hall, but when I paid extra to have their "specialty" coffee, it was so watery, I had to throw it away. We did proceed to get lunch at their restaurant overlooking the golf course, but the whole menu consisted of greasy burgers and deep fried food. I must say the staff of the hotel is very nice and helpful, but that does not compensate for poor quality of accommodations.
We were driving home after having yet another wonderful vacation at Palm Beach FL. Compared to The Breakers at Palm Beach, a truly magnificent historic five star resort, The Greenbrier only deserves one star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv
- The Greenbrier West Virginia/White Sulphur Springs