“Beautiful resort - we absolutely loved it.”
Review of The Greenbrier

The Greenbrier
NC
“Beautiful resort - we absolutely loved it.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Five starts across the board. We were at the Greenbrier for a week and had an amazing experience. We've traveled extensively and my husband and I agreed that this is the best vacation we've had in years. Our room - 4120 - was a junior suite and very nice. We spent a lot of time by the pool, which had a great lunch menu. My favorite experience was the intuitive guidance experience with Cari Cohen in the spa. We are thrilled that the Greenbrier is doing so well and prospering under the leadership of Mr. Justice.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank msashleyNc
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
We are humbled by your gracious and wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to the Greenbrier Spa and I have already shared your kind words with Cari and her leaders. The Greenbrier Spa has also just been recognized as on of the Top 25 spas in the world by Conde Nast Traveler. We are honored by your patronage and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you for years to come!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First, the only the other match to Greenbrier Resort is a Grand Hotel in Mackinaw Island, in Michigan. Second, Omni HomeStead in Hot Springs is ok but does not come close to Greenbrier. Third, Omni Groves Inn in Asheville, NC may be a competitor but the size of Greenbrier just simply beats OMNI Groves Inn hands down.

Lastly, Greenbrier is really not worth the price. If you are most of us who read the reviews before going to the hotel because you care about the money you are spending - than watch out. I gave the resort 4 start because the hotel staff was very nice and helpful. We had booked three rooms, but they gave us a 4 bedroom villa next the major attraction (president or Lincoln's house). It was simply beautiful...hands down with a full kitchen.

Casino well - its ok. Nicely done and good size for the resort. Now the grounds are wonderful. There is no doubt that nothing competes with Greenbrier. One should visit the resort once in their lifetime.

Room Tip: Well, I cannot help you in this. As we had a 4 bedroom villa which was next to (president's or...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
We are honored to read that you found The Greenbrier Resort to be beautiful and that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our amazing staff and their incredible efforts in maintaining both our buildings and grounds, as well as, the service they provide to our guests. We look forward to your return and hope to have the honor of serving you for years to come!
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently stayed at The Greenbrier for a conference. I found the service throughout the hotel to be friendly and helpful, from the bell staff to the housekeepers to the front desk to the banquet staff. The hotel itself though, may not be for everyone. Cost aside (more on that later), the Dorothy Draper décor, the sheer size of the hotel - it's very spread out and it took me 5-10 minutes to walk from my room to the meeting rooms - and the "old-fashioned" feel make The Greenbrier different from many hotels. My sleeping room was large and well-appointed, although the desk was very small and clearly not intended for business travelers. The bathroom was rather small, and since it's an older hotel that may be the case in many of the rooms. However everything was clean, the mattress was quite comfortable and there was a good-sized closet so I was happy.

The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, especially with the lush greenery of summer everywhere. It was so pleasant to take a walk and enjoy the beauty and quiet.

I had been concerned before arriving at the hotel that the dining options would be too expensive for my per diem budget, and they would have been had some meals not been provided by the conference. There are less expensive choices such as Draper's but eating three meals there would have exceeded my budget. The fancier restaurants such as the Main Dining Room and Prime 44 West had entrees that started higher than my $46 per diem! I ate only in Draper's, Café Carlton and the Coffee Bar, but the food in each of those locations was very good. Don't miss the homemade ice cream in Draper's!

Be aware that although The Greenbrier offers a wide variety of activities for its guests, almost all of them come at a cost. There are free movies each evening and free coffee in the lobby each morning, but there is a fee just to play croquet. However it is easy to find the costs on the hotel website so you should be able to tell in advance whether you really want to do a particular activity.

One thing you should not miss is The Bunker Tour. The Bunker truly is a fascinating piece of history and our guide was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. It was well worth the cost and highly recommended.

Oh, and I'd also been concerned about the hotel's dress code but it clearly has been relaxed. During the day, I saw people in shorts, T-shirts, running clothes, etc. In the evening people were more dressed up (and some of the restaurants require coat & tie), but definitely not to the extent I'd anticipated.

I think that the experience of visiting The Greenbrier is worth it. I may never go back again, but I'm glad that I've been there!

2 Thank missmaggiesmom
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent conference at The Greenbrier. The Greenbrier is proud of the unparalleled ranges of amenities and activities available for guests. With over 55+ activities ranging from falconry and fly-fishing to spa treatments and swimming, there is something for everyone to enjoy at The Greenbrier. Many of these activities are complimentary including nightly champagne toasts in the Casino Club, movies with popcorn in The Greenbrier Theatre, the daily history tours and presentations, as well as, culinary demonstrations. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again!
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is very adorable inside, with pink and floral decorations. There are many choices on the menu, unlike other restaurants. Staff is extremely kind. Good wine. Great steak stir-fry and really good fried chicken served with mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy. We also got the brisket chili for appetizer which was Ok. The ice cream is not the best.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank FedericaASR
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Draper’s. The Banana Splits at Draper's are impressive and definitely something that may need to be "split." Other $8 desserts that we highly recommend include The Forum's Classic Tiramisu, The Golf Club's Banana Cream Pie, Draper's Carrot Cake and Draper's Cheesecake. We look forward to your next visit to The Greenbrier!
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was my third visit to the Greenbrier, the last being about 10 years ago. I was there for a conference. Arrived July 24, departed July 27. Have stayed in 5 star resorts worldwide as well as standard hotel/motel lodgings. Each type of lodging packages itself differently. The Greenbrier needs to decide what sort of property it is on a go-forward basis. The "resort" experience does not co-exist with the "motel" experience. The Greenbrier is in the midst of an identity crisis. Are they a football venue catering to football fans? A golf resort catering to golfers? An adventure resort, catering to those seeking outdoor activities? A casino resort? Pick an identity and stick to it. Sorry Greenbrier, but you can't be all things to all people and serve anyone well.

By way of example, dress codes are no longer being enforced. On three separate occasions, I saw young men walking about the building in baggy jeans, with boxers hanging out the top and baseball caps. On one occasion, a young man was shirtless walking thru the cameo ballroom in bedroom scuffs and shorts (again with boxers hanging out). Meanwhile, members of our conference had to "borrow" ties for their 8 and 10 year old sons to wear to dinner in the dining room with a jacket. Either you enforce dress codes for all guests or you don't, but a consistent decision must apply to all. Folks will know if they want to visit based on your policies. While having multiple dining alternatives is nice, the servers in the Forum barely speak English; not what you expect at a five star resort and the food was quite poor. Concierge service is spotty. Front Desk service is lacking. I can't recall exactly how many times staff members said "I'm so sorry about that" but never did anything to fix the problems.

Here's my overall pros/cons:

Pros:
1. Beautiful public rooms (be prepared for Dorothy Draper floral decor).
2. Great bellmen.
3. Delicious food and service in Prime 44 West (a $50 per person up-charge applies if you are on a meal plan, plus "extra" historic fee)
4. Beautiful grounds that are well maintained.
5. Hubby thoroughly enjoyed the Falconry Class.
6. Canopy Tree Outing was fun, but would be even better with a different outfitter. (Bring back NAR from a few years ago. They were great! At Adventures on the Gorge guides kept remarking about "special" Greenbrier guests. We felt very much singled out and not in a good way. Never got served lunch, despite a 1.5 hour wait, while others around us were served. After 4 phone calls to concierge, we got a $50 credit off the outing, but that is not much compensation for my diabetic husband who didn't get to eat for 9 hours.)
7. All meals/service in the main dining room was OK for us. We had buffet breakfast three times and dinner once. A little bit of a wait (maybe 10 minutes one morning for breakfast, but otherwise service was fine.)
8. Artist's shops and President's cottage were nice to visit.

CONS:
1. Front desk staff is poor. Both check-in and check-out were cumbersome. Took 45 minutes to resolve billing errors at check-out. (Watch your invoice carefully!). Also be prepared for extra charges (historic fee and resort fee and taxes)
2. Concierge service was spotty at best. Depending upon who was working. Newer staff members had no idea how to answer our questions (For instance what should be worn to Canopy Tree Outing?)
3. Housekeeping was hit or miss. Our room (3138) was dusty and had spider webs on the walls.
4. Ventilation in our room roared all the time...no matter what temperature the thermostat was set. (We asked for a quiet room at check in and were shocked to arrive at room 3138, which backs up to the elevator! Wasn't a problem though because the roar of the A/C drowned out the clanking of the elevator. We both tried to sleep with ear plugs and did not have a good night's rest the entire trip. A/C blew right on the bed-at bed level. We finally used the luggage stand and piled suitcases in front of the unit to deflect the air upward.)
5. Valet parked our car ($27 per day plus historical fees, taxes). When car was returned to us, all adjustments (seat, steering wheel, radio) had been changed. Anything that could be adjusted had been changed. Seat was slid all the way up, steering wheel all the way down, radio turned to an evangelical channel. Very odd! Valets should not tinker with the vehicle settings.
6. Dinner at the Forum was poor. We both sent back our entrees after one bite. Hubby got sick later that night (bad salad?). Servers do not have English as a first language. Very hard to understand for them and us.

Unfortunately, for us, the pros do not outweigh the cons at the Greenbrier. For the expense, a better resort experience could be had at any Ritz, Intercontinental or Four Seasons. Can't recommend a visit to the Greenbrier until they sort out their identity crisis.

Room Tip: Don't pick 3138. Noisy. Backs up to elevator. A/C roars!
10 Thank virginian9
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings and disappointments you shared. Your atypical experiences are of course unacceptable and there is no excuse that we can offer for these lapses in services. I am following up with the appropriate teams to ensure that issues of this nature do not recur in the future. At The Greenbrier we are proud of our time honored traditions; such as our dress codes that have meant so much to generations of guests that have returned again and again to The Greenbrier. At the Greenbrier we have lived by the identity of “Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen” for over a century. I assure you if a member of our staff would have witnessed the guests in question we would have addressed this with them. Again, we are extremely disappointed that we failed to live up to our traditional standards of excellence during your recent visit with us. Thank you for completing our electronic survey and I trust you received my response and my contact information in that email. In addition to that email I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com if you would like to discuss your stay with us further.
london
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Certainly an acquired taste, the interior decor alone is pretty like it or loathe it, this hotel/ resort is a classic american experience and has its own history and charms as well as its own quirks.

On one hand it is a fascinating building and site, very well maintained and beautifully landscaped with a cold war era nuclear bunker in the basement. The service is great and the whole place is very clean and comfortable.

On the other hand it is a vast branded country club of an experience, clearly largely patronised by a certain kind of comfortably monied middle american. The shops and facilities are borderline tacky in places and the constant cross sell is rather tiring, with your TV left on broadcasting the resorts own TV station when rooms are turned down in the evening.

If you have a family with a wide range of interests and a passion for golf and cold war history, plus deep pockets and don't mind rubbing shoulders with the extensive array of conference guests typically in residence, this is a must.

As a British traveller staying for a couple of nights it was a fascinating piece of social anthropology, as much to see this peculiar slice of modern america, as to poke around in its history.

Room Tip: Some of the accommodation in the main hotel is in an annex at the back- it is just as good quality a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles O
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit. The Greenbrier has enjoyed a 65-year relationship with Dorothy Draper & Company, and her legendary style of vibrant colors, floral patterns and bold contrasts is on display around every corner! With over 55+ activities ranging from falconry and fly-fishing to spa treatments and swimming, there is something for everyone to enjoy at The Greenbrier. Many of these activities are complimentary including nightly champagne toasts in the Casino Club, movies with popcorn in The Greenbrier Theatre, the daily history tours and presentations, as well as, culinary demonstrations. . We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier in the future!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

2014 was my first trip back to The Greenbrier since it changed ownership and added a casino. Fortunately, the casino is pretty much invisible unless you are looking for it and the rest of the hotel remains the same as it always has been. The decor is a little over-the-top for my taste. I was there for a conference and I think they fell down a bit on the food, especially hors d'oeuvres (nothing special about soggy phyllo cups filled with chicken salad in the hot sun). Seating at breakfast was slow due to too much use of the computer at the hostess stand, as well as a curious system of hand writing out little slips of paper for the waitstaff before you are seated. While I appreciate an international staff, I often felt as if my English was not understood all they well when asking about menu items and placing orders. I'm a regular wine drinker who knows my way around a wine list, but I found only a few recognizable bottles on this one and even fewer prices under $100. In addition to resort fees, the management has added an additional 'foundation fee" that gets added to just about every purchase. The Greenbrier has always been a premium-price, but based on my recent visit, I'd say its less than justified by the food and the service.

4 Thank BernardAugust
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We are so glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay! The Greenbrier is a luxury resort, and we pride ourselves on offering an unparalleled range of amenities and activities as well as exceptional customer service throughout our 10,000-acre property. Enjoying this world-class experience does come at a cost, and so we do our best to publish all rates, fees, gratuities and menus on our website so that there are hopefully no surprises upon arrival. I apologize for the lapses in service and culinary disappointments that you shared. I have shared your feedback with the appropriate leaders so that we may improve in the areas that you mentioned. The most valuable tool that we have for constantly improving the Greenbrier experience is the feedback from our guests. Thank you for helping us to improve. We look forward to serving you for years to come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!