2,939 results
All reviews bunker tour the main dining room dorothy draper afternoon tea dress code prime west jerry west bucket list grounds are beautiful golf course champagne toast turn down service southern charm historic preservation horseback riding golf club carriage ride
Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

This is our second stay here. We stayed in one of the cottages for a week at several thousand per night. It needs a complete make over , kitchen is from the 70's.

Most of the restaurants the food was very good however service is hit and miss. This in my mind is because they hit everyone with a 20% gratuity not to mention a 6% fee for preservation and tax. No need to provide good service if you are already getting a 20% tip. That 20% is throughout the resort no matter what activity you are doing and the 6% preservation fee is on all purchases- clothes, jewelry, food etc

Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank DaveThornbury
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2016

We are very sorry to hear about the poor service that you received during your most recent stay. Please accept our deep apologies as we take great pride in the exceptional hospitality extended to our guests. Beginning Monday, The Greenbrier will observe Preservation Days dedicated solely to restoration work throughout the resort. We hope to welcome you back to see the changes.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

I have been wanting to go there forever. So excited and the entrance at night was impressive!!! We were very frustrated. Dinner in the main dining hall was over 300 for four people no drinks or wine ordered. The food was not that impressive. Added historic preservation 7% to EVERYTHING we did, doesn't feel right when paying 800 per night for our room. Way too expensive, we left one night early and saved 1000 dollars! The crown moulding in our cottage needed caulking and the silver sugar container at the dining table was all scratched. 4 dollars for toast with an omelette. Need great coffee. No food really to purchase around the resort for a snack we were often hungry, there was nothing to purchase to eat unless you went to a restaurant. Way too expensive and I do stay in 5 star hotels. Very old fashioned, needs some updating. The golf club lounge seemed forgotten. The nice things were beautiful Christmas decorations throughout, lots of great activities, tennis is great, horseback riding, painting class, dancing lessons, casino was fun, the tour of the bunker was excellent but cost us $170.00. The room was clean. The bed was too soft. This was the best part of our trip. Needed more healthy food options and better cooking for this price.

2  Thank Leslie M
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy so many activities despite your disappointments with meals and accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies. We hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you to America's Resort.

Reviewed 29 December 2015

This is a review of the hotel as a whole, including the upper lobby bar. Draper's and Sam Snead's are reviewed separately. Note I only visited the hotel, I did not spend the night.

As a whole the Greenbrier has improved since my last visit two years ago. Where there was peeling paint is now restored. Where it looked long in the tooth it seems refreshed The resort seems cleaner as well. Granted I wish they would just raise prices by 6.5% instead of charging the "historic preservation fee". I also wish they would end mandatory 20/22% tipping. Tipping should be based on the level of service not simply just for existing.

That all being said the drinks in the bar are delicious, the bar and adjacent areas are gorgeous, and I loved the Christmas carols on Christmas Eve. The carols made it a truly special visit that I will always remember. Only criticism of Christmas at The Greenbrier is that some of the exterior decorations are really cheezy. Santa playing basketball for example, that doesn't say 4/5 star hotel. Other than that, love it.

1  Thank PnSfromLA
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and mention the improvements you noticed since your last visit. On select dates this winter, The Greenbrier will observe Preservation Days entirely dedicated to additional restoration work throughout our historic property. We look forward to welcoming you back to see the Historic Preservation Fund at work.

Reviewed 29 December 2015

First impressions matter and my first impression with the people that helped make the reservations was positive. We stayed at the Homestead and at the Biltmore last year and had high expectations for The Greenbrier. Upon arrival we were informed that one of the features that had been identified during the reservation process had not been used in a couple of years. I was looking forward to seeing an ice sculpture of a sleigh, oh well.
The front desk clerk was pleasant and help us with a room upgrade, Very much appreciated that. We were booked for four nights and several special events to be held during the Christmas visit. Resorts like this one have several levies that are added to everything that you purchase at the resort. I estimate that an additional 33% was added to the base price. Just part of the deal. They hosted had a great Gingerbread Ball and everyone enjoyed it. Santa's arrival and the decorations were far better than what we do at home and that was part of the appeal.

It had been raining and that was the forecast for the week. I prepared for that by packing my favorite gentlemen's umbrella in the back of the car. We also had several other umbrellas in the car. While we were unloading our car with the help of the staff, I was decided to bring my umbrella to the room and told the gentlemen who was loading everything that it would be better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. When the luggage was delivered to the room, the umbrella was not with the rest of our luggage.

I reported it immediately and the staff looked for it and could not find it. Since we were
using the valet service they sent someone to the car to search it and it was not there either. I checked everyday with the front desk, the valet service and my umbrella could not be located. The Operations Manger (DZ) called my cell and left a message about checking the security cameras and would report any findings and he asked that I check with him before we left. On the day that we were checking out I called the Operations Manager but could not reach him so I went to the front desk and repeated my tale of misplaced property to the Assistant Front Desk Manager(JM). He called and texted the Operations Manager but we could not reach him.

The Assistant Front Desk Manager offered me a customer inconvenience credit for my trouble and missing umbrella. It didn't look like my property was going to turn up so I accepted his offer, we should hands and we left. Upon arrival at home I checked my email and had received a notice that they had rescinded their offer because their review of the video surveillance did not reveal the umbrella being loaded. That is not conclusive evidence for too many reasons to list. My memory is crystal clear.

My advice to you is to take picture of your luggage while it is being loaded and before it leaves your sight. Mistakes can happen and without evidence, we don't have much recourse.

By the way I report a dripping faucet to the staff on the first day that never was repaired. Wonder how long that had been going on or how much that cost?

I asked them to consider the wisdom of their decision to renege on our agreement but they have not responded. That is the lasting impression that they gave me. It is a shame that a manager would use such poor judgement. Forewarned is forearmed.

5  Thank K B

Thank you for choosing to celebrate Christmas at The Greenbrier this year. We are incredibly sorry to read about your missing umbrella. The appropriate staff has been made aware of the situation in order to best assist you. We hope to have the honor of serving you again at The Greenbrier.

Reviewed 27 December 2015

This is difficult as it is a tale of several different sections of this resort .. The very good: housekeeping, bell service, main lobby bar, Dining room Breakfast, wonderful server. The poor: The Forum food and service very poor, Room service, late, slow and luke warm, the theater was a mess with poor visual quality.. projection TV, the carriage ride (driver was fine, but a ride around two golf holes for 15 minutes at $200.00 was quite absurd), JJ's Sports bar, (mediocre food, way understaffed and dirty, staff was pleasent but in the weeds).

Retail staff not trained, many restaurants under staffed, wait for lunch at 1:30PM an hour and a half to be seated ., just not what's expected from an alleged upscale resort.

Overall the best thing about the place is its historical presence, the building itself, well maintained, the housekeeping staff, the bell staff, the decorations. But to be held hostage in the middle of nowhere, charged Manhattan prices for very average food, and forced to award poor service at a minimum of 20% ( which in most cases is a floor for me) is to much for me .. I'm not accustom to residing in an alleged 4 star resort, with 2 star service and food.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank EastCoastDinerWV
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experiences. Please accept our apologies for the long wait times and disappointing meals during your stay. Your concerns are being reviewed to make improvements in the new year. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at The Greenbrier.