“First and last time”

The Mason Jar Restaurant
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Formerly the Mason Jar Restaurant in White Sulphur Springs, we offer Homestyle cuisine and BBQ at the State Fair Cafeteria on the State Fairgrounds of West Virginia in Fairlea, WV. Cafeteria open to public during the State Fair in August and providing year-round catering services to the Greenbrier Valley and beyond. Let our team of chefs customize a menu for your upcoming event.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“First and last time”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I really rely on Tripadvisor reviews and this place sounded good. The décor and cleanliness were a disappointment when we first came in but we stayed anyways. Seats of booths were taped with duct tape...is that part of the look they are trying to achieve...not comfortable to sit on duct tape. I love buffalo wings and usually like a medium hot sauce. The choices were hot or mild so I went with the mild. It burned my throat and made me cough/gag. I told the waitress about it and she was unfazed by my dissatisfaction and said "the hot sauce is even hotter". Really? I ended up requesting a clean plate so I could wipe the sauce off and place the cleaned wings on a clean plate not dripping in the "mild" sauce. The potato salad was also not very tasty...all mayo, no seasoning like celery seed, mustard or paparika..no eggs in it either..just very bland.

• Visited September 2013
WV-Chef, Owner at The Mason Jar Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
I must admit, I almost fell off my chair when I read this review! There are days that I am on caterings and away from restaurant and without feedback such as this or somebody calling me, I am unaware. Thank you for your honest feedback...yes, potato salad should always have eggs and seasoning and after some research...I found that one of our newer chefs was using the hottest hot sauce on both mild & hot wings---your server should have provided better service and looked into this complaint as soon as it was brought to her attention. Decor is scheduled to be updated during the off-season, when we will close for a month for updates and repairs (like those booth seats!) I sincerely apologize for your experience and hope that if you are ever in our area again, you will give us another chance. Thanks again for your feedback, Chef Adam

Columbus, Ohio
“Great Ruben Sanwich”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Passing through town and my Wife and I stopped for dinner. We both had the Ruben Sandwich. The waitress asked us if we wanted wheat bread as they were all out of white bread. I said what about Rye? She said yes they had rye and made them with rye bread. I thougt that the standard Ruben always came on Rye. Anyway, they were served hot and with potato chips and a slice of dill pickle. The Ruben had 1000 island dressing on it and was cut up pieces of corned beef. It was very good. The restaurant was a bit on the dark side and the table was well worn to the point of the varnish being worn off the table tops down to the wood. The staff was friendly and took good care of us.

• Visited September 2013
Burleson, Texas
“Quaint and Friendly”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We happened on this restaurant as we were driving through White Sulphur Springs, WV. They were having a benefit for a lady in town who had cancer. We were welcomed in and ate the best
spaghetti and meatball ever. They even knew what an Arnold Palmer was. Will defiantly partake in the Mason Jar Again.

Visited August 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“Upscale Food at Down Home Prices!”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

In the White Sulphur Springs/Lewisburg area, it is hard to find a bad meal. Most of the restaurants are delicious, but most of the prices are, well, pricey! The Mason Jar in White Sulphur is a wonderful respite from expensive food, without sacrificing the quality. We stopped in on a weekday for a late lunch. The buffet was set up, and the waitress informed us that it was supposed to end in 15 minutes (at 3:00 pm), but they would keep it up if we ordered it. I have eaten here several times before, and have never been disappointed. The buffet ($8.99) looked good and fresh, so I and another of our party ordered it. The salad bar was well-stocked, The entrees were baked teriyaki chicken, dirty rice, and baked meatball alfredo. The food was delicious, and did not taste like buffet food (I am not normally a fan of buffets). One person in our party had the prime rib sandwich, which was huge, for $7.99 with chips. She upgraded to onion rings for $1.99. There were plenty of them and they looked crisp and delicious. Another person had the grilled chicken sandwich with chips for $4.99. It was also pronounced yummy! The bathrooms here are cute and clean, and the service is great. This is truly a gem; give it a try!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank labsadore
Derwood, Maryland, USA
“OK but basic”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Not sure I'd go back. Was looking forward to something other than Greenbrier restaurants but this was on the opposite end of the spectrum. Had their spaghetti special. Not very tasty. Salad bar was basic.

Visited August 2013