“Don't Here!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Baileys Harbor
Delafield, Wisconsin
“Don't Here!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My Wife and I went up for a couples weekend. Don't stay here!!!!!

Pro's: We Had nice weather

Cons: Its expensive for what you get. It hasn't been remolded since the 60's. The whole place smell like mold. The rooms were fairly clean. There is no front desk service. The Ice maker was a cooler of Ice in the hallway. The water from the sink & shower smells like sulfur (Fart Smell). The shower heads were clogged. Your a good distance from the Bailey Harbor action. Looking at the golf course, it was in bad shape. Unless your into golfing on dead grass.

Do yourself a favor don't stay here!!!
There's no way this place should stay in business.

Have some standards

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank David S
MaxweltonLodge, Owner at Maxwelton Braes Lodge, responded to this review, 11 February 2015
As the owners of Maxwelton Braes Lodge, I sincerely regret that you were unhappy with your stay. We greatly appreciate any and all input for the success of Maxwelton Braes.This historic building had been closed for 4 years before we purchased it in 2013. I must assume that you stayed in the Vintage Fairway Suites, which are purposefully kept vintage style with new carpet, paint, bedding, high end bath towels and air conditioning. They are very 60's and some guests appreciate that. We try to show photos that accurately depict the vintage style. The rooms in the lodge are much more contemporary.

We will be under new management for the 2015 season. We have listened to your feedback and are expanding our staff and will have someone at the front desk during regular office hours. We have 11 rooms in the lodge, plus 12 rooms in our cottages that are out by the 16th hole. Unfortunately we are often helping our housekeeping staff to speed the turnover process along and step away momentarily. We are making the necessary adjustments in our hiring for the upcoming season to alleviate this problem as much as possible. Even though we were not behind the desk at all times, we were and will always be on the property and have a 24/7 phone line for guest convenience and are willing to drop everything if they are in need of something, our guests are our number one priority.

We do not own or manage the golf course. Unfortunately your stay came at a very difficult time for the peninsula. We had just experienced unprecedented flooding and much of the course was badly damaged. As a matter of fact it was closed for several days as much of the course was impassable. We have been blessed the last few years with wonderfully wet springs, which has helped this beautiful 18 hole golf course look wonderful all season. We have had many compliments from guests who have been playing the course for years that it has been in tip top shape. Since the course does not have full irrigation, sometimes by late summer the fairways get brown, but they do a wonderful job of watering the greens and tees. Unfortunately there was nowhere for flood water to go in our rocky Door County landscape.

We are always open to suggestions on how to make your experience better and truly appreciate your input and will be using your suggestions for future guests. We hope you return and that your next experience is up to your standards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We too stayed at Maxwelton Braes over the July 4th weekend and we had plenty of toiletries and were told where to find more if needed via advanced email and a well written sign at the front desk (in the event that there was no one there to assist).
Our room was very clean and there were no bugs of any kind as someone else mentioned and we had no issues with water or water pressure during our three night stay. And the bed was so comfortable had the weather not been three days of delightful; I could have spent the day in that bed. Given the holiday weekend in the busiest 4th of July town on the Peninsula; I thought the services provided were fine and just as they had told us they would be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mebjv
I would like to thank you for staying with us during the very fun Baileys Harbor 4th of July celebration. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope that you will return again soon. We are excited to announce that a Baileys Harbor favorite breakfast spot, The Sandpiper will now be serving breakfast 7 days a week upstairs in our dining room. We believe this in addition to another season of Pasta Vino on the main level for dinner and cocktails will be a welcome addition. Come check out The Sandpiper Upstairs at Maxwelton Braes!
Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I live in town and I love to use this hotel as a mini-getaway and as a place to lodge family and friends when they visit. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and they are really willing to help out guests whenever they can.

Even though the desk isn't staffed all the time, someone is usually available by phone. It can be slightly inconvenient but If they don't answer, they will call you back as soon as you leave a message.

The lodge has decently spacious rooms for its size with all new linens, bedding, tvs, etc.. The rooms interior design is a dated, but expected because of how old the place is. The"cottages" on the other hand are what you would typically expect from a vintage cottage; iron in the water, older furnishings and an old building smell. They are however very clean and have been updated since we last had family staying there.

Overall I would say the lodge is wonderful for a small little place to stay. I would recommend it to anyone I know. If your looking for a big resort feel with a lot of amenities that's not the style of this small lodge.

Room Tip: Ask about Deluxe Rooms... Only a few dollars more and you have a lot more room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
First of all, we would like to personally thank you for your neighborly vote of confidence. We really appreciate constructive criticism. We are continually trying to improve this wonderful old lodge. We feel so proud to have been able to open once again to the public and all the past guests who are so thrilled to come back and share their old stories of days gone by at Maxwelton.

This season we will have an expanded staff to help better serve our guests. We will have regular office hours which will be appreciated by our guests. We are also thrilled to announce that a Baileys Harbor breakfast favorite is back in town! The Sandpiper Upstairs at Maxwelton Braes will be serving breakfast 7 days a week. A wonderful addition for Maxwelton Braes Lodge, golf course and the town of Baileys Harbor.

Once again, thank you for your support...we hope to see you or your guests at the Maxwelton Braes Lodge, Sandpiper or Pasta Vino. Don't forget we have indoor and outdoor banquet facilities for parties of all sizes.
Middleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I booked 4 nights here, last Wednesday through to Sunday. When I made the booking on line I wasn't able to book one of the hotel rooms for all 4 of the nights, but was able to book one of the "cottages." The prices for the hotel rooms and the cottages were the same, so I presumed that the quality of the rooms would also be similar. How wrong could I have been! We arrived at the hotel at 5pm. First impressions were good. It seemed a very nice property, in a lovely situation. We went inside to reception to find that there was no one at the desk to welcome us. However there was a note to tell us that unfortunately staff had been called away but we could find our keys in an envelope with our name on. We opened the envelope to find the keys to our room and a map showing us directions to our "cottage". I presumed a hotel cottage would be a substantial building, it was not. The outward appearance was reasonably ok but as soon as we entered the building the musty damp smell was overpowering. There was no way that we could have stayed in it. We had tried opening all the windows, but the smell lingered. The bathroom was appalling. The sink plug-hole was orange and brown with rust, as was the bath plug-hole. It was disgusting. There was a note in the bathroom explaining that the water will run rusty sometimes but this will soon run clear after running for a while!!! The cabin was really old and dated. The walls were extremely thin. I opened what I thought was a cupboard and walked into the lounge of the cabin nextdoor!! Needless to say, we phoned the contact number provided should we have any problems. I left two answerphone messages stating our complaint. I didn't receive a reply. We went back to reception to see if we could find a member of staff to help us. There was no one there. However the hotel restaurant was open and was very busy, so we thought it would be a good idea to speak to the staff in there. Surprise, Surprise.....there was a message on the wall to advise that the Italian restaurant was under separate management to the hotel. They are probably fed up with hotel clients pestering them when the hotel reception isn't manned after 5pm. Regardless of this notice I asked the barman for help, he was extremely understanding, although unable to do anything himself. He referred us to a member of staff in the restaurant and she was really so helpful, even though it wasn't her responsibility to help us. Even though she was extremely busy she personally phoned the manager and spoke to him. Apparently he was at a supermarket and it would take him at least 30minutes to get back to us. She offered us a drink from the bar and there we had to wait. When the manager eventually returned to the hotel he apologised for there not being anyone at reception to deal with our problem. Whilst we were waiting I had contacted my daughter and asked her to check online to see if the room was still available for 2nights in the hotel itself. It was, so we asked the manager if he'd show us this room and if we thought it was OK we would rather spend just 2 nights in the hotel room and find 2 other nights accomodation elsewhere. The room was the Pebble Beach Suite and we were very pleased with what we were shown. The king bed was very comfortable, the bedding was clean and well presented. The bathroom was clean and tiled. There were towels and toiletries. The little sitting room was an added bonus. If I want to be picky then I would say that the rooms are small and tired. The windows need a good clean, the skirtings need a good wash and a cobweb was by the window in the sitting room. However, I feel that this room was reasonable value for money as long as you are happy with the bare minimum and aren't expecting any room service at all. We had read a note in our room explaining that the hotel will only replace towels and bedding upon request. However, we were surprised that we had no bed service and no room cleaning service at all!! Clients should be made aware of these policies when they book so that they can make an informed choice of price over quality and service. I really can't understand how the hotel can justify asking the same rates for the hotel rooms and the "cottage" rooms. The "cottages" should be described differently and more honestly. They might be more appealling to families who wish to have a cheap holiday. They could use the cabins as a very basic "base" as they have 2 double beds in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the lounge, but they really need updating. Certainly check that the rooms are being aired before you book them. Also the end cottages have larger windows and are a little brighter inside than the middle ones. Make sure you arrive before 5pm!!!! The Italian restaurant and staff are fantastic. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sd001emdan
As the owners of Maxwelton Braes Lodge, we sincerely regret that you were unhappy with your stay. We greatly appreciate any and all input for the success of Maxwelton Braes.This historic building had been closed for 4 years before we purchased it in 2013. We are constantly making improvements.

It is unacceptable that you had to wait to check into a suitable room. I am grateful to the Pasta Vino staff for assisting you. This next season we are going to have later front desk hours. Since your stay we have changed the name of the cottages to Vintage Fairway Suites. We have refurbished the tubs and sinks that were able to be saved and replaced the others, so that they are much cleaner, while retaining the vintage integrity. As you suggested there are some guests who desire a clean, but inexpensive alternative to the more formal lodge guest rooms. We have listened to your concerns and are changing our pricing to better reflect the difference. We try hard to explain the difference when guests call to make a reservations, but with the advancements in technology allowing people to reserve online, they are not always sure what they are getting. We are working to update our photos and room descriptions on our website.

We will be under new management for the 2015 season. We have listened to your feedback and are expanding our staff and will have someone at the front desk during regular office hours. We have 11 rooms in the lodge, plus 12 rooms in our cottages on the 16th hole. Unfortunately we are often helping our housekeeping staff to speed the turnover process along and step away momentarily. We are making the necessary adjustments in our hiring for the upcoming season to alleviate this problem as much as possible. Our guests are our number one priority.

The cleanliness of our rooms is of utmost important to us and we are confident that our new management will have the highest standards and that new housekeeping staff will be exceptional going forward. To clarify we do have several different sized rooms, which we feel are priced fairly, as some are considerably larger than others.

We are always open to suggestions on how to make guest's experience better and truly appreciate your input and will be using your suggestions for future guests. It is our sincere intention not to provide a modern hotel experience but a clean, friendly, old lodge atmosphere. We hope you return and that your next experience is up to your standards.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Maxwelton Braes the week before July 4th. We were pleased that the front staff was friendly, and we liked that the hotel was very quiet with a gorgeous view. With that said, I can say that due to these many small inconveniences, we rate this lodge as mediocre:
1. There were no toiletries in the room upon arrival, not even a bar of soap.
2. There were ants and beetles in the room every day of the trip. Some were on the bed.
3. The water shut off during the middle of my husband's shower and did not turn back on for 20 minutes.
4. They did not clean our tub on one of the days, and there was absolutely no maid service at all on another of the days (not even to empty the trash).
5. The front desk closes at 5:00pm and does not open until 9:00am.

We will most likely not be staying here again. It supplies the bare minimum for your needs.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
First of all, I want to apologize to you for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The housekeeping staff should have had a strictly enforced checklist so that an oversight, such as forgetting the standard toiletries that we provide, would never happen. We had switched to a very nice spa product line of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, make-up wipes, body and facial bar, but if they are not in your bathroom when you need them, it is unacceptable.

As to the bug problem in your room, we have exterminators on a regular basis. If it was a persistent problem I would hope that our staff would have moved you to another room, if there was one available. I assure you and other readers that we do not have a persistent bug problem. Obviously being located in the north woods and on a golf course an ant or cricket can sneak in uninvited.

Regarding your housekeeping complaint and lack of front desk staff before 9am and after 5pm, we will have new housekeeping and management staff this season. We are expanding our staff and I think this will make guests feel well cared for during their vacation. We are an eco-friendly hotel and implemented a policy last season of using door tags for guests who wanted room make ups during their stay. We found some guests prefer privacy during their short stays and appreciate that staff only enter their rooms to clean upon request. We will make sure that this policy is more clearly explained to guests. I assume that since you had some make up, albeit inconsistent, that you wanted housekeeping, but it was inadequate. We are confident that our new management will have the highest expectations for the new housekeeping staff.

I do hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are a charming historic golf lodge. We are thrilled to announce that an old Baileys Harbor favorite restaurant, The Sandpiper will be serving breakfast 7 days a week upstairs in our dining room and Pasta Vino will continue with dinner and bar service in the evenings in the main floor restaurant.
Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I wish I could say better things about this place, as it is just starting up, but we found it to be terribly run and were quite disappointed.

First, the good things: It is quiet, in a good location, and the rooms are comfortable if a bit dated.

Now onto the bad. First, they are only staffed from about 10am until 5pm, unpredictably. We almost never saw the hotel staff. I understand that Door is a "slow place" but generally you expect the staff to be there longer than 7 hours in the middle of the day.

The fact that they were gone a lot may be the cause for the second, largest issue. We were gone all day every day, but two days in a row, the rooms were not cleaned at all. No beds made, not vacuumed or sinks wiped down. We asked about it and got the response "oh we are doing the whole green thing. You have to ask to have your room cleaned." This was nowhere in the literature. I'm not sure what's green or not green about making a bed, and even at Eco hotels they have done this simple service. In case you thought they changed their behavior after complaining, they didn't. Our room wasn't made up the last day either.

Another mild annoyance but something easy to fix -There are bright lights spotted on the bedroom windows all night long. Even though it's so dark up here, we had to close curtains to make it bearable.

This place could be a lot nicer, but they really need to work harder at it. This was disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
8 Thank arayofsun
MaxweltonLodge, General Manager at Maxwelton Braes Lodge, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for your response, we greatly appreciate any and all input for the future success of the Maxwelton Braes Lodge. Our facility is very large, therefore we are not at the front desk at all times during the day, but we recognize that this is an inconvenience. We have 11 rooms in the lodge, plus 12 rooms in our cottages that are out by the 16th hole. Unfortunately we are often helping our housekeeping staff to speed the turnover process along. Even though we are not behind the desk at all times, we are always on the property and have a 24/7 phone line for guest convenience and are willing to drop everything if they are in need of something, our guests are our number one priority.

Maxwelton Braes is really trying to become an eco-friendly hotel by taking steps to conserve laundry, cleaning supplies, and energy consumption. In fact, we just changed all of our light bulbs over to either CFL or LED bulbs. It is our part in helping the footprint on our environment.

We are also trying to preserve the privacy of our guests by not entering rooms all the times. Upon check in, our policy is that the room becomes yours for the stay and we try to make it feel like a home away from home. We will gladly enter and clean rooms upon request or if guests use the maid service door knob hangers that are in every lodge room. We recognize that this is an issue and thanks to your suggestions and input we will definitely make a stronger effort to make that clear to guests.

Over all, we are doing this to not only keep the costs down for our guests, but to make sure that guest privacy is respected. We are also always open to suggestions on how to make your experience better and truly appreciate your input and will be using your suggestions for future guests. We hope you return and that your next experience is up to your standards. Thank you for your time to give us some great feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We were visiting Door County and decided to give this place a try based on the Trip Advisor review. We knew it had been closed for a few years and were a little nervous but decided to try it out. Glad we did.
The place is thoroughly updated. Rooms are totally renovated and tastefully done. Place is clean and beautifully maintained.
The room rate is a steal for this level of quality. They clearly are trying to encourage people to give it a try and once you do, you will be back. We will.
Wonderful owners and staff. Great service. Great facility. Strong Wifi in Lobby. Very good restaurant on site.

• Stayed August 2013
      Rooms
10 Thank Basailor
As the owners of Maxwelton Braes, we would like to thank you for giving us a try and we are so pleased you had a wonderful vacation. We certainly welcome your feedback. We are continuously trying to improve upon even the good things we have going. We are so proud of the history of Maxwelton. We have been fortunate to have an enthusiastic staff to help us to get things up and running. We are expanding our staff this season to serve our guests better. We are excited to bring in an old Baileys Harbor favorite restaurant to provide breakfast to our guests, golfers and neighbors. Sandpiper Upstairs at Maxwelton Braes will be serving breakfast 7 days a week. Pasta Vino will continue to serve fabulous dinners in our main level restaurant. Hurry back and enjoy!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baileys Harbor
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Open Hearth Lodge
Open Hearth Lodge
#2 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Maxwelton Braes Lodge? Share your experiences!