“Skip the Charter Fishing with First Choice Charters”

Lakeshore Adventures
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Baileys Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See the beautiful aerial views of Door County on our zip line tours in Bailey's Harbor. Our Door County ziplining course is 2000 feet long on 20 acres bordering the Ridges Sanctuary.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked two spots for Charter Fishing over the 4th of July holiday weekend to the tune of $240. To my disappointment the six of us on the boat did not catch ANY fish. We were not even told that fishing had been bad and that there was a chance we wouldn't catch anything. We didn't find that out until we came back in after 5 hours out on the water and had to pay up. I realize there are no guarantees with fishing, however, to take a group out knowing fishing is not good and not letting the customer know, tells me this outfit cares more about the money it collects rather the customer's experience. Captain Todd needs to realize he is in the customer service business.

1  Thank kvmaci
Todd H, Owner at Lakeshore Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your first time salmon fishing. Last year when this was posted the catching was unpredictable. Way had numerous trips out that were very successful and day to day we don't know how the fishing is going to be. The particular trip you were on the captain had several salmon hooked up but all of them fell off before being netted. That is just bad luck. Some days you don't loose hardly any and other days they don't seem to stay on. That's fishing! I wish I could make the fish bite on every trip out for everybody but that isn't possible. I have been in business for over 40 years and we have an excellent reputation for catching fish and showing our customers a great time. We do over 85% repeat business every year and run over 200 trips a season onto Lake Michigan. We are extremely dedicated to giving our customers an exciting and fun experience and that is our main priority.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Several years ago my husband and I noticed a strange old lighthouse across from Baileys Harbor. We wanted a closer view, but it was on an island. How could we see it? This summer we did, thanks to a tour with Lakeshore Adventures. I have some mobility problems, but the portable steps and the helpful crew made it easy for me to get on to (and off of) the boat. Off we went on a perfect day to be on the water: one other couple, my husband and I, and the crew of two. We saw how the Baileys Harbor range lights line up; we had wonderful views of the old birdcage lighthouse that so intrigued us; we saw the remains of shipwrecks through the clear water; and we enjoyed seeing the Cana Island lighthouse, a familiar view to us from land but never before from water. And we were treated to excellent narration - about the fishing industry, the lighthouses, the shipwrecks, and more. We went in order to get a close-up view of the one lighthouse, but we saw so much more and enjoyed the whole trip.

3  Thank Carpe_Diem_Ontario
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My family and I took this charter on August 7th (4-9pm). We had done this exact thing several years ago and had a great experience and caught many, many fish. To our disappointment, on this tour we only caught 7 fish between 4 of us for 5 hours! For the price we paid we found this discouraging. But we do understand that they can’t control the fishing.

However, – despite the fact that the fishing wasn’t the best – their crew was the most disappointing. They did not interact with us at all, mostly talked between themselves and did not tell us what was going on, what they expected from us, what we could do, etc. We did try to engage them in conversation but we got short, to the point answers. Needless to say, despite bad fishing – the crew could have totally saved the trip by being more engaging. Later we were told that it had been a frustrating summer for the entire crew and this season the catching hadn't come easy and this might have been some of the problem with the crew. Just be aware that there might be much conversation from the crew and don't look to them to entertain you.

We probably will not do this again as it was rather expensive and just not that much fun! Over a $100 per fish caught.

2  Thank nasurdy
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had an awesome experience. We called multiple times and had no issues with questions or booking. I found them to be very professional. Our adventure was exactly as advertised. Our tour guides we Bryn and Sierra. They were both informative and knowledgable. As the current shifted so did our destination as our safety was their concern. My only advice to the guides is they should drive a little slower. You caravan to the departure location and they were speeding......otherwise a perfect day.

4  Thank Catherine G
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We rented a tandem kayak for a couple hours. We had a few disappointments. In front of their store, they have a tandem kayak with a complete glass bottom, which looks really cool, but the one we got just had two small glass openings in the bottom-- less cool. Seems like false advertising and was a significant disappointment.

The staff could use a little more training. My husband called before we came, and the girl essentially hung up on him before he asked all his questions. We did find out that you rent the kayaks at the store, then go to the nearby beach to get the kayaks. When we rented the kayaks, they didn't even really explain this part- where to go and launch from. We did get a map of the different "ruins" you could see, but we never really understood what the map was supposed to show, or how far each of the attractions were, so we didn't end up seeing much. We thought it'd be clear once we got out there, but it was not. They do ask that you bring your cell phone on the water. They give you a ziploc bag for your phone, but if they want you to take an expensive phone on the water, they would do better to offer a more secure bag- we had brought our own seabag, so it didn't matter for us. They never made it clear what time to return (is the 2 hrs of rental time from the time you pay or from the time you launch? from the time you launch until you return the lifejackets?) This seems important considering how expensive going 15 mins over is. Then we got a call a few hours after returning to see if we had brought our life jackets and paddles back, because the person at the front desk forgot to check us off.

We didn't take a tour, so those might allow you to see some more cool stuff. And none of this ruined our experience (except for the disappointing glass bottom kayaks with only small windows on the bottom), but are improvements that shouldn't be too hard to make! Next time I'll probably check out a tour with another company and see some more natural beauty, because there's not much to kayak to within Bailey's Harbor.

4  Thank flowrgardnr