“Trying to be fair, but hard when bed is so uncomfortable...”

Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Baileys Harbor
Arena, Wisconsin
“Trying to be fair, but hard when bed is so uncomfortable...”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I think Ridges Resort has a lot of potential. Its location is great - Baileys Harbor is about equidistant from all the major towns on the busy side of the pennisula. It is pet friendly and very near a dog friendly beach. The unit we rented was very clean, if old and outdated, and it DOES have wifi, something the website was unclear on. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

We rented the Twin Cedars cabin for a week. I think the bathroom is the only thing that had been improved at all, and even that was hit or miss. I would not recommend this cabin for a stay during a hot month. The AC is ancient and does not work well. Most everything else is outdated but works. Bring extension cords for your electronic devices! The only grounded (three prong) plug I found was near the door and above the stove. Made using my laptop difficult until we purchased a power strip. Bring extra pillows for the couch - the stuffing on the arms is long gone and can be downright painful. Keep your pets on a short leash, because there are gaps in the base of the cabin large enough to crawl through! The carpeting is painfully old, something no amount of vacuuming can fix.

The biggest problem we encountered was the beds. The kids were okay with the ones in the second bedroom, but they think sleeping on the living room floor is a treat, so I'm not sure they're the best judges. The bed my husband and I tried to sleep on, however, was hard and not suitable for sharing. Any movement by your bedmate makes the bed wobble up and down, enough to wake one from a sound sleep. My husband took to sleeping on the couch because of this. We left a day earlier than intended, because we were so exhausted.

We got a good rate and knew not to expect much. Staying here freed up vacation money funds for many things. Hopefully the new ownership will do a lot of updating over the slow season, because even with reduced rates, I don't think we'd stay again if no improvements are made.

The motel units looked much nicer -perhaps this is where the updates have been focused so far? But we did not see inside one so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank odiedragon
coachliteinn, Manager at Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for giving Ridges Inn & Suites a try and for providing a fair assessment of your recent stay. We also appreciate your suggestion to clarify on our website that WIFI is available throughout our property. We continue to be in the process of making numerous upgrades throughout the 2012 season and our rate structure was designed to reflect this. The electrical outlets are one of those items to be updated, however this type of work must be performed during off season. We do hope you will stay at Ridges again in the future and see for yourself how the improvements are progressing.
The Ridges Team

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. We had waited a little too long to make reservations for Labor Day weekend so there weren't many places within our budget to choose from. I didn't read the reviews until after we had booked and I was certainly quite anxious. There was absolutely no need to worry. We stayed in the Carriage Suite and while the furnishings may be outdated, the space, comfort and service we've experienced NEVER go out of style. We called down for more coffee and sugar and it was up to our room in less than 2 minutes. The staff was incredibly friendly, welcoming and helpful and the room was clean. Amenities we enjoyed in this suite were a tub that was so big it could fit three people; a fantastic vaulted ceiling; fire place at the flick of a switch; super comfy king sized bed; and a wonderful screened in balcony. We will definitely be returning next year.

Room Tip: Carriage Suite is AMAZING. It's huge, has a massive tub with jets and a fireplace. While other...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate Z
Port Washington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife and I are please with the Ridges Resort. Our entire stay was well worth it! The room was clean and nice. We had no problems with the room. The patio glass door was so clean I thought it was left open. The gounds and the lodge look good and are well maintained. Plus, making the reservation via the internet was easy and quick.

We are very pleased and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Portperson
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Ok, we were a bit nervous when we read the other reviews but upon arrival were put at ease! The staff were very welcoming and accommodating. We did take a look at both buildings,the main building was clean and seemed to be well kept. The other building was called the Wicker which is were some of these bad reviews may have stemmed from. It was bit outdated. OveralL we had a great experience and would defiantely come back!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Reginaonthemove
Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It did go under new management. We were warned when we called that they are slowly working to change and it is owned by another resort in the area who just bought it. I assumed it would have been fixed up more. The only complaint I had was that everything was quite outdated, other than the new comforter and pillows. It was clean. Just looked old and not "up to par" with other luxury resorts in that area. It was perfect for a sleep and leave situation, like I was in. We stayed one night, and were literally only in our hotel to sleep, shower in the morning, and be on our way for more sightseeing. I do hope they turn the place around and update the room's looks. But it definitely could have been much, much worse! A pleasant stay for an outdated hotel. They're doing their best.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kellyn C
Lansing, Illinois
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I wasn't going to write a review because I felt sorry for the new management. They really need some money to update and clean this place so they need guests. After reading the other two reviews I totally agreed with the terrible review, it was gross. Couldn't wait to leave. I was able to bring my dog which was great and maybe if I had a buy one night get one free offer I would have been happy too. I would love to know the "situation" stated by lynnz52's review. I wasn't told about a situation so maybe that would have explained things and I wouldn't have been so disappointed. I stay in nice places, old places, etc. I will stay in pretty much anywhere as long as it's clean. When I was sleeping I could smell "old dirt and dust", yuck. They did have a buy two nights get one free offer, no thanks. Maybe buy one get one, but not buy two get one. Be upfront to your customers, they might be patient. It is Door County and places to stay in the summer are at a premium. They'll get visitors and maybe ones that will come back if told of the situation. I asked what the "Grand Reopening" on their website meant. All they said was we are under new managment, nothing else. Not a wise move because I won't be back.

Room Tip: If this is the only place you can find to stay in Door County, ask what Grand Reopening means and if...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank greenhippiegirl
coachliteinn, Manager at Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest,
We are sorry that you were less than satisfied with your visit and wished you would have mentioned something to our staff during your stay. We strive to correct any issues that our guests may have however, we really need to be made aware of the issues in order to do so. We feel the rooms and cottages are clean and we continue to focus on improving the overall cleanliness and condition of the inn. The Ridges Inn & Suites is continuing to make numerous improvements throughout the 2012 season and our rate structure was designed to reflect this. The situation that was discussed was related to our specials. Our grand opening specials are clearly listed on our website and are explained in detail when a guest asks about them. Also, some of our rooms and cottages are pet friendly and we are happy to provide this amenity to our guests. I hope this helps explain the situation you had referenced.
The Staff of The Ridges Inn & Suites

Travellers are raving about these Baileys Harbor hotels

St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We got the "Loft" cabin, and it was exactly what we were expecting. The new management was very open and honest with the situation that the Ridges Resort is going through. They are working hard to update the resort and restore its image that has been so seriously damaged by the previous management. The cabin was outdated, but had everything we needed. They had Wi-fi which was great. They allowed our dog, and he was very comfortable having our own little area to stay in. We got buy one, get one night free so the value was really unbeatable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Baileys Harbor
Square Rigger Lodge
Square Rigger Lodge
#1 of 2 in Jacksonport

Been to Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort? Share your experiences!