My boys (ages 12 and 15) and I stayed at Gordons Lodge May 25-30, 2014. It was our second trip to Door County and our first one with Gordons Lodge. The Lodge was clean and the grounds beautiful. It is located on the Michigan side of Door County and off the beaten path of the tourist places on the bay side. Its location makes it a quiet and great getaway from the hustle and bustle of the tourist crowds. Gordons Lodge offers things to do on the resort property which is great when you are tired of dealing with the crowds from the bay side and still want to enjoy nature. The employees (namely Zachary and Barbara) are outstanding. Not only are they welcoming, but they show a genuine interest in your enjoyment of Door County. They are a great resource for ideas of what to do and where to eat.
My advice for anyone planning a stay at Gordons Lodge is to call ahead and see if what you plan to do on the premises is available/functional. It was a HUGE disappointment on check in (we checked in on Sunday of Memorial Weekend) to find out that the "heated pool and hot tub" described on-line was not functional. The website clearly states that the pool and hot tub are functional May through October. We checked in at the end of May and the pool and hot tub were closed. Excuses were offered by the staff (late spring, too much ice, etc.), but we all know that websites can be updated in nearly real-time and scheduled guests can be called or sent a note. The fact is that when you have a "heated" pool and hot tub, late springs really don't matter. My boys have swam outside in Colorado in a heated pool in January. When the website says it is open from May to October, it should be open, or guests notified and the website changed. I was clearly misled on this important fact (if you have boys or kids you will completely understand). The lodge made no accommodations to use a different resort's pool or hot tub and there was no discount made on the accommodations (or upgrade for that matter which should have been entirely possible considering the resort was far from capacity).
Gordons Lodge also has equipment for activities on site - bikes, kayaks, one paddle boat, and tennis. The bikes are 'iffy' and need major maintenance. It took the 3 of us 20 minutes to find three bikes that were functional, albeit still with issues. Many of the bikes have no brakes or have under-inflated tires. We found three bikes which we could use, although the bikes the boys rode had only partial functioning rear brakes (the front brakes were completely non-functional); my bike had brakes but the seat kept slipping down during riding and I would have to stop and re-raise the seat throughout the ride. That said, the trails throughout the woods on the property are beautiful and fun to ride. Tennis was fun and the courts are good.
I did point out the issues mentioned above to the front desk staff, but evidently they are powerless to do anything about anything. When I mentioned the huge disappointment of the pools/hot tub and the safety issues of the bikes (not such a big issue for my older boys, but potentially huge for smaller kids), I was told to fill out a comment card. One would think the front desk could take notes and pass them along.
It is to be noted that when we were at Gordons Lodge, the resort was fairly empty. I am sure this is because we were there early in the season, but with that fact, I would have thought there would be more attention paid to making each guest's stay more comfortable (seeing how the staff had the time). This property needs some TLC and the staff should have been happier to relay to maintenance what needed fixed (such as the bikes' brakes) rather than telling the guest to write out a comment card.
We stayed in the lodge and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The room was dated and needed some updating (especially the bathroom), but this is northern Wisconsin, so it isn't a big deal. This is a rustic place and fits an outdoor centered vacation.
Overall, this is a fabulous piece of real estate with a great dock, beach and trails through the woods. The staff is friendly and helpful as to local attractions and restaurants. I would stay here again, but would definitely call ahead to see what amenities are broken or less than functional during my planned stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a uniquely intimate waterfront resort that includes 300ft. private beach, 5-miles of nature trails, heated pool and hot tub, fitness center, tennis, fishing, kayaking, internet and buffet breakfast. Enjoy an award-winning menu and cocktails on property at Top Deck Restaurant. Select lodge rooms and cottages with water views, suites adjacent to a pristine forest, and coming soon a 5-bedroom house gracing the shores of Lake Michigan. Gordon House Event Center, an elegant venue for weddings and special events, seats up to 250 guests. Witness incredible starry nights and gorgeous sunrises and sunsets as you enjoy tranquility and beauty matched nowhere else in Door County. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Gordon Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gordon Hotel Baileys Harbor
- Gordon Lodge Baileys Harbor, WI - Door County