“overpriced experience” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbor Fish Market and Grille

Harbor Fish Market and Grille
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Distinctive waterfront dining in the heart of Door County. Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner seven days a week spring through fall. Outdoor, garden, waterfront dining in season. Healthy kids' menu. Full bar with exceptional wine list. Creative menu using locally sourced ingredients. Wonderful historic building right on the water in downtown Baileys Harbor, Door County, Wisconsin. Reservations encouraged and can be made on our Facebook page or on our website.
Plover, WI
“overpriced experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The whole experience was overpriced. The food itself was overpriced. The service was overpriced. The best entree we had, I believe, was my prime rib. It was very good but the I had the smallest size and it was over $27. The sides were a baked potato, which costs a penny, and 7 stalks of asparagus. If you want other choices of potato you have to pay more. The white fish entree was not worth the price either, edible but not tasty. The crab legs were also edible but not worth the money for 3 legs. The service was poor. I don't know the server's name because he didn't tell us. I had to ask him to bring 2 bread plates because there were 4 of us and only 2 bread plates, which took several attempts. I had to call (yell out finally) him over for a milk refill for my son. He was not attentive.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank chicacabo
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I sincerely apologize for your experience the other day. The items you mention are not acceptable and I will checking on those and appreciate your input. If you could recall who your server was and any more details or would like to correspond with me personally, please write to me at berndt.karen@gmail.com. We have a great staff working with us and consistently get positive responses to our food and service so I would appreciate -- and do appreciate -- your comments and help with us solving these issues. I would also hope that you had an opportunity to speak with someone there regarding your concerns on the night of your service. Please consider writing to me personally.

Galena, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Local flavor with a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

My family visited here for lunch. We loved the decor and that 'Door County restaurant feel'. We ordered the harbor chowder, and it was wonderful! Our entrees included an ahi tuna melt, lobster roll sandwich and the fish sandwich, all were great!

Beer was served room temperature and was quite pricey (Stella @ $7.50 and a Fat Tire or Guiness @ $7)

Overall, a wonderful experience and we will return, especially for the chowder!

1 Thank TheDster12
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for the nice review! I was made aware of the problem with the beer keg/taps and we called the distributor right away. I was told about the problem with the beer temperature I am happy to report that they came right out and fixed the problem. So, cold beer is here! We hope to see you again soon!
Dubuque, Iowa
“On the water, lovely meal, good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very nice dinner selection of seafood, well prepared and presented - scallops in blood orange reduction and blackened whitefish were delicious. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Lovely view of moonlit water in Bailey's Harbor. Building has an interesting history and character. They also do breakfast and lunch. We'll be back.

1 Thank OlGreyMare
We are so glad to hear that you'll be coming back! Reviews like yours are so important to us -- thank you so very much for taking the time to write one here! We sincerely look forward to seeing you again -- for breakfast, lunch and perhaps once again for dinner!
“Breakfast Bonanza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Wife had the Cherry Stuffed French Toast, and I had the Tower Of Power “Benedict”. Both dishes were excellent. The service (Mary) was the finest we've experienced in many many years. Great coffee. What else can one say? We'll definitely be back next time we hit Door County.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Coffee and breakfast with a lovely Lake Michigan view. Yup, that's how we love to start the morning also! I will share your wonderful comments with Mary -- and thank you so very much for sharing them here! Hopefully, we will see you again soon!
Conway, Arkansas
“Amazing soups and an awesome view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a very picturesque little town. reminds me of a fishing village in Maine. And they have amazing soups. We were a little disappointed with the lobster rolls. It is a cold lobster salad in toast. They said it is ordered a lot, but probably by people like us that have had Maine Lobster Rolls and then leave disappointed. But the service, the building, the view, and the soups were fantastic.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello there! Baileys Harbor is a very cool little town -- we agree! And we are so glad that you enjoyed our soups! It sounds like you are familiar with lobster rolls! We experimented quite a bit when we decided to serve lobster rolls. First of all we found that we had to prepare and bake our own traditional lobster rolls because the "correct" ones weren't available here in Wisconsin! Where I grew up (Connecticut) our lobster rolls were simply lobster and butter, served in the traditional lobster roll. But, that doesn't translate well to a kitchen like ours and serving hundreds on a summer day could be challenging! So we tried the currently popular "spicy" lobster roll sandwiches served in some areas of Maine -- but that wasn't very popular with our customers. Finally we decided on the traditional Maine lobster rolls with fresh celery, sweets onions and cucumber -- with light mayonnaise. I would love to hear from you if you have a different recipe that you think would work well for us! So far, our current lobster roll recipe is hugely popular but we always like to try new things! So, please drop me a note at berndt.karen@gmail.com with the recipe! Thanks again for the lovely comments -- and for taking the time to write a review here! Best wishes!