“Pleasant Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baileys Harbor
Blacksmith Inn On the Shore
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Very nice B&B, and we have stayed at several of the very best. The room looked exactly as it does on the Inn's website. Everything was very clean. My wife complained about the shortage of shelf space in the bathroom, but I had no problem with it until she started using mine. (Double pedestal sinks.) The breakfast looked good, but we opted for one at a restaurant down the street, for which we had a coupon. The staff was very pleasant. We will almost certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank profofphil
BlacksmithInnkeeper, Owner at Blacksmith Inn On the Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2011

Many thanks to this guest for his comments about bathroom shelf space. Our carpenter installed 2 additional shelves in each bathroom in the Harbor House this winter. Unfortunately we were unable to sort out a way to add shelf space in the smaller bathrooms in our historic Zahn House.

Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife and I stayed here for our 20th anniversary. It is an awesome bed and breakfast. Great snacks 24 hours of the day. Great foods for breakfast. Nice view and shoreline with private dock to sit on.

Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed at the Inn for four nights of our honeymoon (room #9 in the Harbor House).
I'm an aesthete and it's hard for me to relax if things aren't "right". Well, things are "right" at The Inn on the Shore! I've stayed at many B&B's, this would need to be placed in my top five favorite stays!
There are two buildings; one original to the property and remodeled as a B&B, and the other building (harbor House) is new construction, but so beautifully matched to 1700s/1800s New England architecture that you feel you've stepped back in time. Every detail is in place in these rooms and the modern conveniences are tastefully worked-in or disguised.
Breakfast was EXCEPTIONAL for our needs and tastes. Mostly whole and organic foods; hard boiled eggs, their home-made granola (which we've made at home twice) cheeses, fruit, goat milk yogurt, "Naked" pureed fruit drinks + more. Breakfast is buffet style in the lobby with generous trays provided so you can return to your reasonably-private balcony for breakfast.
Fresh popcorn is ALWAYS available in the afternoon and into the evening (home-made on the stove) as well as cranberry oatmeal cookies. There is a FULL lending library of movies - some very current/recently-released movies included.
The grounds are filled with tasteful and beautiful plantings and they share some freshly-cut stems in your room.
There was loud road construction going on on the main road through town and right next to the Inn, but it was easy to ignore in those surroundings!
We would return to the Inn as a destination! Worth every penny!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rod_Minnesota
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My husband and I spent three nights here for our 30th wedding anniversary. We go to Door County once a year. We chose the Blacksmith Inn because it is non-smoking, adult only and their website is super inviting.
Everything that has been said here about the Blacksmith Inn is true....as far as the inn being sparkling clean, beautifully and authentically decorated in Americana-style and super quiet. The gardens are gorgeous(all gardens in Door County are!) and there is a lot of attention to most every tiny detail. But there are some things about it that did not fit for us. First: if you love super great coffee by 6:30 am, with a pitcher of fresh half and half or full cream....that will not happen. Their coffee is very weak and doesn't arrive until a little after 7:30. They provide only the little containers of half and half that you get at a diner. If you believe a B&B should provide a full breakfast at that price ( they charge around $275 a night in early June) then this is not the place for you. I loved their healthy breakfast choices..but my husband thought at that price they should offer an egg and meat dish as well. They do specify on their website what their breakfast choices are.
Our shower head basically did not work; came out like a hose, not a shower, for two days. We immediately left a note saying it did not work properly. The innkeeper wrote back saying he fixed it. It was the same. So we wrote another note suggesting maybe it needed to be replaced. Then he did replace it. Even at a cheap hotel we really expect a good shower. There was construction on the road and sewer system when we arrived and so we woke up to a jackhammer and a skid steer the first morning at 7:00 am, not the lapping of the waves against the shore. That part is not the innkeepers fault....but we wish we would have been informed ahead of time of road construction, so we could have made a decision as to whether we would want to stay there or not. And no...they did not discount for that inconvenience. The Harbor House morning breakfast woman was not very cheerful at all. This inn has tons of wonderful features....kayaks and bikes for the guests, and complimentary cookies all day and popcorn in the afternoon. But for us, we would rather have great coffee available early and maybe for the cost a full breakfast option and a good shower. I would recommend to a friend who has oodles of money to spend and doesn't care about awesome coffee and/or a full breakfast. I am glad we visited for this special occasion, but we will look elsewhere next year. If you do stay in Bailey's Harbor, check out the Ridges Sanctuary and Toft Point ...all very close by.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WisconsinShadow
Rudderhead, Owner at Blacksmith Inn On the Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

We appreciated this guest's feedback about their shower head. Being in a small village, we have a private well and have since found shower heads that help deliver the water at a higher pressure. We are also very pleased to report that our "not very cheerful" breakfast woman has completed her chemotherapy and has a bounce back in her step!

Reviewed 22 May 2009

My husband and I booked a low-season, two-night special that included a gift certificate towards a meal at a wonderful local restaurant (Kristoffer's), a bottle of champagne and fabulous truffles. The room was perfect in every way -- bedding was first rate (I'm very picky about soft sheets); so clean you could eat off the floor; tasty breakfast each morning; simply fabulous cherry,oatmeal cookies, popcorn, apple cider & organic coffee for late night snacks; a luxurious whirlpool bath and gorgeous view of Lake Michigan. We left our 18 mos. old son w/ Gramma & Grampa to enjoy our anniversary and I slept through the night for the first time in about a year -- the room was that relaxing! Highly recommended. We can't wait to go back & will give my parents a gift certficate for their upcoming anniversary. Also, make time to hike at the Sanctuary nearby; it's phenomenal!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2008

This was our second year in a row going up to Door County and only a couple hours from where we live, my wife and I particularly liked getting away last year after the semester of grad school was over. We again Again, we took advantage of the Winter Romance package which included a $50 gift certificate to the inn at Kristopher's or another restaurant we could choose. Needless to say we don't get to a fancy restaurant like that often but we really appreciate the treat when we are able to. In addition, the package included two nights, a bottle of champagne, and a couple chocolates. We went back for the second straight year because this place really forces you to relax. Quiet and peaceful, we took a snow covered hike down the road through the woods on the trails one of the days which was a nice way to get outside for a while but it was a little cold even for our native Wisconsin blood. We are use to the winters here but we don't have a fireplace and a hot tub to keep us warm at home. From the home made muffins and scones to organic coffees, teas and apple cider there was always something good to eat. They have a great selection of DVD's to watch in the room. The only complaint I had (and they told me this before hand) was that the room we stayed in upstairs had the lower ceilings due to the roof so my wife and i bumped our heads a couple times as we're both around 6 feet tall. That was my only gripe. Other than that, I think we'll try to get back up there again next year. Thanks again.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 October 2008

The Blacksmith Inn is a very nice B&B but perhaps a little pricey for what you get, compared to other B&B's we've stayed in. Although we did stay at the start of the off season so the cold weather kept us from using our hammock or borrowing a kayak. Unfortunately our fireplace did not work and after telling the staff they were unable to fix it. I would have hoped for a slight discount since this is a prime feature of each room and it was quite chilly the night we stayed, but none was offered. I can not really say too many bad things about the B&B but I doubt I will stay here again due to the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort
Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort
#5 of 7 in Baileys Harbor

Been to Blacksmith Inn On the Shore? Share your experiences!