“I'm revising my initial review of this hotel slightly”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
minnesota
“I'm revising my initial review of this hotel slightly”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I gave the Clarion a 5 star last year and we booked again this year. Same courteous staff, clean rooms, good central location. But they no longer have the typical Choice Hotels inclusive breakfast. Instead they give each resident a daily $4 voucher to be used toward a breakfast (cooked on order) from the attached restaurant. This adds at least $10 daily to the cost of each room, so it will affect my decision of where I bring my group in 2014. I didn't even shop around this year, we were so happy with our stay in 2012...but next year I'll definitely be considering other options.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor facing west and had no issues.
Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sleepycat69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Our stay started out well as the gentleman at the front desk was extremely courteous and helpful. When we got to our room however, the air freshener aroma was overpowering. Thinking that maybe our room had just been cleaned and an aerosol spray had been used we opened the window and headed for the arcade and pool. Unfortunately the arcade room's AC wasn't working and with all of the arcade games emitting heat, the room was 90 degrees and not usable. The pool was fine, nothing special. Upon returning to our room the smell was still potent and the same was true after dinner. We searched the room high and low to see if we could find the source of the smell but didn't locate anything. My plan was to see if we could get switched into another room but when I went to go down to the front desk the 2 rooms that I passed that were getting cleaned had the same overpowering smell issue. In the end we just dealt with it because we had an early morning planned but it definitely put a damper on what otherwise might have been a pleasant stay. I have no idea what product could have been used that made such an overpowering smell last for so long but I can't risk staying at this place again without knowing that the air freshener smell issue is fixed.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is a dump it needs better management to start with. The GM Mark is not at all professional with his staff and the guests. The poeple who own this property need to make a change for a more experienced GM. This GM berated one of his male second shift front desk person I talked with Tim D after we had dinner out. Tim D stated that he had sevel years as a resort GM I will state that Tim D would be a better GM over this hothead, rude man you have now I will never stay with any choice hotel unless this GM is FIRED. Nor will I ER ALLOW ANY OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS OR BUSINESS ASSOCIATES TO STAY AT THIS OR ANY OTHER CHOICE HOTEL UNTIL THIS MAN IS FIRED.

Room Tip: Don't Stay at the Baraboo Clarion until the GM Mark is fired.
4 Thank Steve J

Travellers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here for two night on the first weekend of May. We rented a large two bedroom suite so the kids could have their own room. The room was nice and big and had a very large hot tub that separated the two bedrooms. The pool on the 4th floor was very nice and had a nice overlook of the town. Now for the things that were not so good. Both the vanity by the front door and the bath tub had very slow drains. We had to wait for a good 10 min between showers for the water to drain. I suspect they were clogged with hair but I was not about to open them and find out. The other big issue I had was our room was skipped for maid service after the first night. We left for a few hours in the morning expecting our room to be mad up and our towels replaced. When we arrived none of this had happened. I called down to the front desk and they said they would send someone up but by this time I figured what was the point. I just had them give us fresh towels and sent the person on their way. This was very disappointing. Overall the value and location were good and even the restaurant was decent and I would probably stay there again

Room Tip: The two bedroom unit is a great value if you have 4 or more people traveling.
1 Thank aguilara01
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We stayed here during a hunting trip near devils lake state park. We typically stay in the Dells but decided we wanted to be a little closer to the hunting land. This hotel was very nice and much cheaper than the hotels in the Dells. Its close enough to the casino and even the Dells that it would be convenient to stay here if the Dells is your destination. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bathroom is TINY but that's typical of hotels. You do get breakfast coupons but we didn't use them. One thing that was really great for us was how quiet it was, granted we did stay during the week but there were lots of other guests and we heard no one all week. The pool area was nice, we were the only ones in there and the hot tub is quiet large. The pool is on the 4th floor and the hallway does smell of chlorine (so try to get a room on a different floor). Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2013

A real surprise for us - we stayed here because the normal 2-hr drive from here to home looked bad from snow and ice - delightfully surprised and will definitely do this again when travel gets late. The restaurant (Glacier Rock) seems to be "affiliated", not a part of the hotel, so breakfast was either Continental (free) or sit-down ($4 off per person).....that said, it was extremely pleasant, with a terrific waitress and oversize plates that were most welcome.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at your hotel April 6 th , 2013 . We enjoyed every minute of our stay . LOVED THE POOL .
The hotel staff , the bartenders , the waiters , every treated us royally .
The shoppes in the cute town of Baraboo, well , a womans shopping dream .
Many antique stores , great shoe store , loved the music store , every where we went
we truly enjoyed

We will be coming back this summer to stay and experience Devils Lake Campground .

Thank you for being made to feel very special as a hotel guest .

Sincerely , Mary

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#17 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!