“No more free breakfast”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“No more free breakfast”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in recent years and always appreciated the fact that a free breakfast buffet was included in the price of the room. Upon checking in this time (June 2014) I was shocked to be told that breakfast now was $6.99, though a $2-off coupon was provided. Even worse, it turned out that my glass of orange juice was not included in the quoted price! I will definitely be seeking other accommodations in the area the next time I visit Baraboo. While it is true that the website no longer advertises a free breakfast, as a regular customer it did not occur to me to reevaluate the amenities list for a place I had stayed multiple times before. Other than this disappointment, the room was clean and comfortable as usual and the attached restaurant continues to provide very good food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brucewashere_17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New London, Iowa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As a long standing member of Choice Hotels I was very pleased with the room we had but totally dismayed by the restaurant and breakfast options. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and while the food was okay, it was not worth the price and certainly not the quality you would expect from the quality of the establishment. I was most dismayed by the breakfast. Choice Hotels should offer free breakfast to its guests especially when the room cost was higher than normal. Here however you had to pay for a buffet breakfast that offered not one item more than any Comfort Inn or Clarion and the quality of the eggs, gravy and meat was not at all as good as most Choice Hotels I have stayed at. Then to add insult to injury, a hotel chain that promises free coffee 24/7 charged us over $2.00 a cup for breakfast coffee and all beverages were at a price above the breakfast which should have been free to begin with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank james c

Travellers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

Evansville, IN
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Not a bad place, but don't expect a lot of frills. Room was decent sized. The pool area was good. The steam room was a nice surprise too. It's an older hotel and not upscale. Know this going in and you will be pleased. There is a decent restaurant on site too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WI
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This hotel was alright. Not the best and not the worst. I liked the price... Not 100 to 200 dollars per night. The location was in close proximity to restaurants, and popular attractions in Baraboo, such as, Circus World Museum; The Al Ringling House; The Al Ringling Theater; The International Crane Foundation; The Mid-Continent Railway Museum.
As for the hotel, the 2 double beds felt as if I were laying on the floor... (I tried each bed). The hotel however provided extra blankets in the closet. I fluffed them up, and put them on the mattress, thus making the beds much more comfortable. The refrigerator was awkwardly positioned in the closet. Opening and shutting the fridge door was interesting, but I liked the fact that they offered a fridge since no meals were included with the stay. The air conditioner was noisy, but worked well. The bathrooms were tiny but clean upon arrival. The room was musty, but that was remedied when I opened the windows. The one and only real complaint was the paper thin walls. Everything could be heard in the rooms adjoined to ours. A previous guest had set an alarm clock for 5am, and it went off when we were trying to sleep. There was no one in that room to turn it off. I had to call the front desk to turn it off. The person at the front desk was very prompt, and immediately took care of the problem. In fairness to this hotel, the thin walls and mustiness are not an exclusive problem to this hotel. Some of the pricier hotels/motels have the same issues, with no fridge, and no included meals. I would recommend this hotel for people who want a cheap place to stay in Baraboo.

Room Tip: This hotel is approximately an 18 minute drive from the Dells Strip. It is not in the heart of the D...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jcpjewels
Da UP of Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We find the Clarion Hotel and Convention Center a very clean and comfortable place to stay! Rooms are very good size, with plenty of accessible outlets to plug in our cells and computers. TVs are LG flat screens and there are more channels available than we've ever seen in our hotel stays! Our only disappointment is that there is no continental breakfast available, at least for free. Now they give you a $2.00 coupon towards purchasing what amounts to a continental breakfast for $6.99. What is available is hardly worth the $2.00, let alone $4.99 plus tax! Unless this changes we suggest eating breakfast out, and getting your money's worth.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank johnsdi
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed here a couple times in the past and had done one prior review. My last stay started off with an unworthy employee at check in trying to multi - task with the phone and several people checking in...This time I encountered Cheryl....literally one of my best experiences ever...I booked on line which I screwed up and had to call them directly to get straightened out, so I had her on the phone and she was also working when I got there...She was fast, efficient and friendly....recognized my hotel membership offered upgrade and covered eating establishments in area...I had a king bed room which was on the top floor, it was on the older side for furniture and decorations but had everything I was looking for..quiet, comfortable bed, coffee pot, flat screen and a nice hot shower and most of all Clean...all at a good price from AAA.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SIOUXFANFOREVER
Holmen, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Clarion a number of times over the past few years. It is centrally located within a region of western Wisconsin that I travel within. Here are the good things- it is clean. The beds are comfortable. There is a restaurant. There is a bar. There is a nice pool. The staff is friendly. The cons? It shows it's age. Peeling paint. Tired carpets. Hollow doors. The hotel is used by many youth groups (circus world) and by the Casino Crowd, so if your sensitive you may be offended from both extremes. Overall ..... Average.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BuyReallyLow
markhotelmanager, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear a place to lay your head,
I would like to Thank you for the time you took to fiull out the guest survey. We review every week with our staff about the review we recieve and go through them to see if we can improve on our service. I am not understanding what you are telling me about groups. But yes we cater to groups and appreciated them coming to us. Circus World Museum is a locate attraction theat we are very happy that is located in Baraboo and also Ho Chunck Casino .This attraction bring people to a town of 12480 peole We love it very much.
As for carpet in hallways and rooms they were all prepalce two years ago. Yes we are a older hotel but have been in the last 13 years remodeled three times . We are always upgrading and now we are adding refrigerator to our .rooms. Again thank you for your review hope to see you again

Mark Horenberger
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#4 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#17 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!