“Just okay. Older hotel. Wouldn't return.”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I stayed one night at this older hotel. Place really needs an update.

Too bad about the bathroom: really small. Sink is just outside in the room. Furniture in the bedroom is cherry coloured wood, including closet.

Window completely opened. Carpet seemed new/just cleaned. Border paper really dates the place.

Pool on 4th floor is square with walls painted to look Greek.. Open till 11pm. Lots of seating and natural light (although separate sundeck above is now closed with a sign about a 'franchise agreement'). Games rooms next door was hot - sealed window. Games really old.

Small second floor fitness has a Weider ftiness station, Nordic Trac eliptical and 2 treadmills. Fitness mat. Water cooler. TV. Sealed window. Nothing to clean equipment. Miroors at your back when using equipment.

There's a 24 hr business centre by the front desk with 2 computers and free printer. If using wireless, you'll need a code from front desk.

Enjoyed the self serve breakfast, which included waffles, cereals, juice, bulk yogurt, pastries.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 November 2009

We needed a smoking double(family suite room) and we got it and it was fine. With exception of sporatic hot water in shower. Couldnt use Jacuzzi because the hot water only came out warm at best.

Our first nite was hell due to the party pple next door at Chasers bar, whos parking lot melds into the hotel lot.
Constant noise all nite then at l a.m. or so the employees and drunks poor out, BUT THEY DON'T GO HOME. They party in both parking lots forever, screaming, honking horns etc. I called down to let the hotel know and they said"we'll see what we can do" which, I guess was very little.
Then the next morning, early, the beer and oil deliveries come in to the bar so, there is little reprieve for the weary traveller. We were told by the hotel that if we wanted a smoking room with a family suite, we'd have to stay on that side.
We also, had the unfortunate luck to be there one nite(in addition to bar noise) when there was a party in one of the hotel rooms on the third floor so as we were going to dinner kids were coming into the hotel with cases of bee etc. By the time we got back to hotel, there were beer cans in the parking lot, kids everywhere, drunk and screaming. Not good. Dont most hotels have non party, good neighbour policies?
The restaurant staff were very very friendly. thats why I rated service as good.
P.S. we were on the 5th floor , I wonder how loud it was for folks below us. Very unfortunate and we are home now catching up on sleep.
P.SS. the pool is still too cold to swim in.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We went to Baraboo at the beginning of our Dells trip. We spent two nights there and the location was ideal for the day trips we had planned - Circus Museum and Devil's Lake. The price wasn't too bad. The complimentary breakfast was just...sad. I ate it because it was included. The pool was advertised as being heated. It was big enough but the heater was broken (and had been for quite some time). The icing on the cake for me was the gentlemen working the front desk. I refrain from using his name. He was not pleasant. His tone was rude. I booked my reservations with him and checked in with him and asked him questions during our stay. And he always seemed, bothered/annoyed. Had some trouble with the key cards and the key readers to get into the side entrances.
I will say that the restaurant they have in the hotel is excellent for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I stayed here for a wedding. The rooms were clean, bathroom was decent size. The staff was really nice, they let us borrow markers and such while we decorated for the reception. I have eaten at the resturant twice and they have good food there. The bar is nice and roomy and the staff was great, friendly, and quick. They have a pool, it was really cold though. I am not sure if this was due to the season or not, most people stay in nearby Wisconsin Dells for the waterparks. There is a bar right next to the hotel too, Chasers, and Taco Bell across the street.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I am sitting in this hotel room as I write and wishing we had chosen a different hotel. Yes it is clean, and the staff are okay; but the room itself is so small and poorly designed that it makes staying here extremely uncomforatable. The bathroom is so small that a normal size person has to climb into the tub in order to close the door. The bathroom sink has NO counter space. There is an attractive wardrobe instead of a closet, but it is so far from the dressing area of the bathroom that you can't get access to your clothes after a shower. With no countertop space or hooks or anyplace to put anything down; it is extremely inconvient to get dressed after a shower. No privacy in the sink/dressing area of the bathroom which is open to view of the entire room. The ONLY electric outlet we can find is behind the wardrobe on the far side of the room away from the mirror. How are you supposed to plug in the iron, curling iron, etc? The alarm clock was broken the first morning and we requested a replacement. They claimed it had been replaced but it hadn't because it was still set to the same wrong time and the alarm still didn't work. I hate this hotel and would never ever stay here again !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank PackUpTheFamily&Go
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed one night. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. Breakfast was fine, included hot scrambled eggs, pastries, toast, cereal, etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My boyfriend and I were planning to kick around in the Dells for a couple of days, but were not going to be visiting any of the water parks. We decided to forego the resorts and all of their amenities that we wouldn't be using in favor of something a bit cheaper. We were very happy with the Clarion. It was very clean, comfortable, and quiet. My only complaint was that the bathroom was very small. On the other hand, we were both very impressed with the shower. We are both quite tall and it is rare for us to find a shower that has a showerhead that is actually above our heads if we stand up straight. A little thing that wouldn't even be noticed by both, but we were thrilled. It was a short and easy drive to the Dells. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!