Wheeler's Campground
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Best Western Baraboo Inn(Baraboo)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$67
US$122
US$81
US$66
US$53
US$112
Travelocity
All reviewsparty all nightgreat campingdevil's lakefishing pondrainy daycamping experiencelolliescampgroundsiteprivacybarnweekendplayground
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We checked in with three of us, two of us not sure if we were staying. At 9pm, two hours before quiet hours, we were asked to be silent. Our two undecided friends "checked in" at 7pm and were told not to worry about paying and go park. THE PEOPLE AT THE GATE LET THEM IN AND TOLD US NOT TO PAY AND GIVEN A PARKING PASS. At 11pm exactly, the owner told us we had two options, pay $30 cash or leave. We were being "noisy," if noisy means talking to your friends five feet away from you. He could not have been more rude or condescending. We were polite and stopped talking but he was bent on kicking us out because we were younger looking. He did not seem sober or the least bit reasonable. All we wanted was to have a nice, relaxing fire
and grill out. I will never,
ever, ever stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
17  Thank haanderson
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We were so busy this trip that we didn't get to enjoy a lot of downtime at the campsite, but Wheeler's was perfect. The couple that runs the place offered excellent service, and we loved our site. We arrived on a Saturday, and while the place was busy, it was still very quiet. The rest of the week we had our area pretty much completely to ourselves. The shower house/bathrooms were so clean you forgot you were at a campground, and the views were beautiful. There is wifi at the main building, and we had an easy trip into the Dells and Baraboo from the site. We were very impressed when Mr Wheeler refunded us the money for our unused firewood, something we never expected. This place is a great less expensive option for the Dells area.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank rj7341
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Well run, quiet, no frills campground. The owners run a respectable campground and do not put up with loud and obnoxious groups. Quiet and safety are important to these owners. Bath houses are clean and there is play ground equipment for children. I don't fish but I always see people at the pond fishing. Kids like to "gig" for frogs in the creek. The tent sites up in the bluff area are nice and remote.
The camp store has very limited grocery items so plan on bringing your food items with you. Rock climbing gear is available for purchase.

Nice base site if planning on visiting Devil's Lake State Park and the city of Baraboo and even the Dells.

Room Tip: Creek tends to fill up in heavy rains and can wash over bridge to most of camp area so watch the weather. Owners always have your safety in mind and will make sure their campers are safe so listen to them!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dcbest
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Wheelers’ Campground is a great place to camp. It’s just a few miles from Devil’s Lake State Park and pretty close to Baraboo, if you want to go into town for breakfast or the weekend farmers’ market.

There is good variety in the character of the tent campsites. Some campsites are in open areas. Others are in wooded areas that allow you to feel a sense of privacy and peace. Personally, I like the wooded area.

My husband and I generally stay at state campgrounds when we camp. But now, anytime we go to Devil’s Lake State Park, we stay at Wheelers’ Campground. The sites are spacious and well maintained, the bathrooms and showers are clean, and the whole place has a friendly atmosphere. The owners, Lollie and Marc, are particularly friendly and willing to give suggestions on fun activities to do locally.

Also, there is a rock climbing shop right on site. So if you need any last minute gear for your next project, they have that covered too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D4WNR
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I read the reviews on here, as I was making my reservations for yet another year of camping at Wheeler's. There are two "terrible" reviews that I laughed a little at.

First of all, I am a single mom of two, and somewhat protective of our privacy, SAFETY, and ability to chill away from home in a family-oriented place. Also budget minded!!!

This is a very clean, fun, relaxing campground. When I first met the Wheelers, I told the Mrs. that I had some very bad experience in the past at state park campgrounds. She assured me they are careful who they let in the park, and sometimes turn people away if they appear to be there for a rowdy time. Money is not the driving factor for them. I applaud that. :-)

There are some beautiful campsites, and an interesting nature path that I enjoyed walking along in the morning.

As for collecting sticks for firewood, that is a no no in most state/national parks anyway. As most people who frequent the outdoors know. It's not just so that the park can make money on selling firewood. For goodness sakes, it's $5 for firewood. Not a huge deal.

The bathrooms and showerhouse were not white glove clean, but hey this is CAMPING.

For the people who said the Wheelers were rude, I believe the Wheelers likely had reason to be assertive and protect the campgrounds. If any rudeness occurred (which I doubt), it might have been in response to the camper's attitude/behaviour.

This is a great campground for couples and families because the Wheelers make it so. I don't really recommend this for large groups.

If it were left up to any riffraff to set the environment, that's what the cheaper state park camping is for.

I plan on going here anytime I am coming to Devils Lake. I like it so much I haven't explored anywhere else! I almost hate to make this a 5 star review - I want to keep this secret to myself!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family