“Good food, nice atmosphere”

Little Village Cafe
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Baraboo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The food was very good although a little pricey for what you get. The atmosphere was nice and quaint, although super loud! Over all I enjoyed it and would visit again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We enjoy Little Village Cafe several times a year and it is consistently very good to excellent. The last visit a few nights ago was excellent. Make a reservation and you get one of the booths which is a bit more enjoyable than the small tables. For our most recent visit, the wine , the bread, the entree (Jerk Pork this time) and the dessert were outstanding. The menu has something for everyone and we always pay special attention to the nightly specials which are truly special. There was personalized service to match which was prompt and not overbearing at a time when the restaurant was packed. Contrary to some of the other posts, we love the old building and the interior. The booths are from another era which adds to the experience. There are limitations with old buildings and you either love them for what they are or you don't. The eclectic interior furnishings reflect how old buildings in this area have been used over the years. One thing that keeps us going back is the unpretentious, relaxed atmosphere that fits rural Wisconsin and yet with a great menu, great service and reasonable prices. Till next time LVC - keep up the great work.

1  Thank Loki_and_Odin
Reviewed 6 April 2014

As a Baraboo area resident for several decades, my wife and I have eaten many lunches and dinners at the Little Village. It has consistently good food and good service. It is too easy to overlook that which you are used to. I truly appreciate having this fine local place to enjoy a relaxing tasty meal. Visitors, unless you are in fast-food or bar & grill mode, definitely dine here.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

It was our first time visiting… and we left satisfied, and eager to return soon. Our party consisted of two small children and an infant, and the waitstaff anticipated our needs and made our entire family feel welcomed.

The creamy carrot soup was a delightful new try; and we loved the cumin sauce on the burritos. Dessert we ordered to-go… because we just could not pass up the peanut butter pie.

Because of the excellent service and nourishing food, we've found a new favorite place in Baraboo.

2  Thank Haley M
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I've been dining at The Little Village ever since they opened twenty years ago. It's really the only restaurant in Baraboo that offers creative cooking from scratch that isn't loaded with fat or carbs. That being said, I feel the restaurant owners have reaped the accolades of their customers for so long, they've become a bit too complacent and have let their standards slip. Firstly, the place is in desperate need of refurbishment. The booths are looking shabby and the carpet....well, let's just say it's as old as the restaurant and looks like it hasn't been cleaned since they opened. My salad the other day was basically fine (spinach with craisins and walnuts), but the two pieces of sourdough bread were so hard as to be inedible. The waitperson offered to replace them, but by the time she returned to the table, I was almost finished, so I declined. I'd mention one or two other things about the menu, but I've said enough.

1  Thank Baraboogirl
littlevillagecafe, Owner at Little Village Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Sorry for your negative experience. I am sorry you feel we are complacent living off the accolades of devout customers. It is very expensive to run a restaurant. After twenty-five wonderful years we are stilling trying to provide quality food and great service to our customers.
Trying to maintain a restaurant that is 75 years old , that is in a building of 125 years can be expensive. We have been changing the dining room over the last few years with new chairs, lighting and blinds.Carpeting is slated for spring. The current carpet is only five years old. Not to mention the hard winter wear and tear. I could list the behind the scenes expenses such as roof, windows, appliances, exterior parts of the building and of course the kitchen etc..As this list grows something always is in need of repair.
I appreciate your concern and am glad you have had a long lasting relationship with our establishment. We are currently working on repairing the back bar, carpet, booths, interior and exterior paint to mention a few. We hope you are not so disenchanted that we lose you as a customer.

Been to Little Village Cafe? Share your experiences!