“Retro Diner, Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is an interesting old diner. It has a soda fountain bar with the flat, round stools as well as booths and tables. There is a small town, friendly feel to the place. The servers are friendly and the service is good. The food was quite good for a small and simple restaurant in this area - especially after my disappointment with other area restaurants. I had the vegetarian split pea soup to start. It had a nice, though subtle flavor. Next I had a Caesar salad that had good flavors. For my main course I had blackened chicken with beans and chips. The chicken was very tasty with strong flavors and a real kick. The beans were tangy and tasted great when eaten with the chips. Though I did not have room for dessert, I was told they have great desserts. Looking at the selection of cakes and pies on display seemed to confirm that. The staff was very "down to earth" and "real". The atmosphere was 1950's. Since I was around then, it brought back good memories of times past. Younger travelers may have a different feeling about the décor. I would recommend this restaurant and would return if I am ever in the area again.

There are newer reviews for Little Village Cafe

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We were very hungry after browsing the Sunday market and nearby shops. This little cafe was highly rated so thought we would give it a try. The food was very good. Had the Mediterranean wrap and husband had a salad with added salmon. Service was quick and attentive.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This little café in downtown Baraboo is a fooler. You wouldn't expect such a diverse and original menu in this setting. Our food was very good. Don't forget the homemade desserts. We took ours to go.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We always have great meals at Little Village. They have great specials, a great wine list and outstanding servers!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My three previous trips to the Little Village over the past two years left me wondering what I was missing. Such "positive press," for the most part. My previous impressions were, essentially, that these restaurateurs purvey prosaic food at excessive prices. However, after reading the local newspaper's puff piece on the place, I decided to try it again.

Upon entering the establishment, my companion and I were cordially greeted by a waitress (one of two waitresses) who gave us menus, escorted us to a booth, as we requested, and served us our vittles tag-team style (for lack of a more precise term).

The waitress who took our order (a spinach salad for my dining companion, a Greek salad and a bottle of Corona for me) returned with my beer. Several minutes later, the waitress who had seated us brought us our salads.

The salads were served in large bowls emphasizing the sparsity of greens. In each bowl were two small pieces of sourdough bread with a tinfoil-wrapped pad of butter sandwiched between them. That's different, I thought: not particularly appealing but certainly novel. We were also given two small plastic containers of a henna-colored liquid, which I naturally assumed was salad dressing.

I had thought it odd that we had not been given a choice of dressings when ordering but again "assumed" that they came with a special house dressing uniquely blended for each salad. My mistake.

After buttering my bread, I had no place to put it. There was still butter on the knife, again, with no place to put it. I had already inadvertently greased the table with the tinfoil butter wrapper, which I had placed on the table. I tried balancing my bread on one of the plastic salad dressing containers and my butter-laden knife on the other.

Then it dawned on me to request a plate. Why it did not dawn on the waitress to bring us one to share (God forbid, one each) I cannot fathom. After flagging down the waitress who took our order, we each received a plate of our very own.

Upon finishing my meager ten dollar Greek salad with the uninspiring generic salad dressing, I attempted to catch the attention of (let's call her) waitress #1 for the check. She, however, had planted her derriere on one of the stools of the counter and was engrossed in lively conversation with a patron, with whom she seemed to be acquainted, in a booth at the back of the restaurant.. I eventually managed to hail (let's call her) waitress #2 for the check, which she presented in a timely fashion.

Neither member of the tag-team had found the time to stop at our booth during the course of our meal. They both seemed so personable and nice. I wish I could have spent more time with them.

When we were about to leave, my dining companion--a very compassionate and forgiving soul--suggested we return some time for the restaurant's Tuesday night tapas special. I hate to disappoint her, but I won't be back. Damn the tapas; full speed ahead.

2  Thank fishfryaficianado