“It's a Casino” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“It's a Casino”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The room itself was average. There was no dresser and only 8 television stations and not even ESPN. To top it off, they charge you a Tribal tax on the room. I will say that the staff there was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank jwong29371

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are pretty easy going and generally have a good time wherever we go. So, a normal person would probably give this place a -3 stars.

Staff is neither friendly nor accommodative. The front desk scolded us when we couldn't figure out the phone in our room. Our safe didn't work and they said they'd fix it. They didn't. There's one light in the bathroom at 4 candlepower. And...we struggled to get service at Wo Zhah-Wah, a bad sports bar knockoff. To their credit, even though we were virtually ignored, the food was good there. The place closed at 10:00 PM, too! On a Friday? Wow.

No cell service (I have AT&T). WiFi is not free...maybe it is, but no instructions anywhere on how to use it. The casino is smoky, and we had to sound a foghorn every time we wanted another round of drinks AT the bar. There was a group of six of us, and there were four other customers at the bar, so they weren't understaffed for a busy evening.

Keep in mind, this place is in the middle of nowhere and the next closest hotel is about four or five miles away. You're a captive audience, and they certainly know and exploit that. Treat you like crap, and generally say no to your requests.

With all that said, we still had fun...the next closest casino is about an hour and a half away from here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Vinpach

Travellers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Check-in was brusque and not personal. My husband and I were checking in and I'd put it under my name. I'm all checked in for 2 people (him and I) and Sheridan rudely says "Is he staying here, too?" Well, obviously! So then they demanded all his info, too. Geez. Checkin not at all Vegas-like. We get to the room and it's barely lit, the phone doesn't work nor does the safe or one of our keys. We go back to desk (a looong hike) and Shana is curt about "you have to choose line 1 when using the phone." Well, where does it say that??? We gambled and placed bets. Only half-friendly person was gal at betting window. We go to bar for drinks and were ignored for 15 minutes. Later we go to the restaurant upstairs where we were again ignored for 20 minutes. Finally, service. And they close kitchen at 10 pm so anyone coming in after us was out of luck. You're losing a lot of business!!!! And you need to have a sign that says your serving hours. Room has no guest services guide - I was trying to figure out where in the place you could get breakfast. With no options, we went elsewhere. The bathroom has so little lighting it was ridiculous. Oh, and safe after being fixed, still didn't work! I asked for a little discount because of that and gal at desk was rude and said they NEVER do that. Well, we'll NEVER return.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Alumna01
Sleepy Hollow, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've visited this casino many times and can now form an opinion that it has consistely been a poor experience for gaming fun, the air quality, food, and especially friendly service. From my experience, the return on your gaming dollar is poor. The most frequent phrase I hear at this casino is that the games are 'tight'. 'Comps' (i.e. like a free buffet once in a while) seem to be non existent to the average player even if you are a long time customer. That aside, the buffet where we mostly dine, seems below average when compared to other casino buffets we have visited. The one exception is their crab leg night which can be better but costs more. The bar area next to the buffet has very poor quality screens to watch sports events and badly need to be upgraded. It's also disappointing that some, not all, of the floor and customer service area personel can be abrupt and unfriendly. I will say the shuttle drivers, which I've used on occassion, seem to be very friendly and good at their jobs. This casino also has a consistent problem with poor air quality. Even though there is a (very small) non smoking area, it is a adjacent to smoking and does not have a lot of game variety. The vast majority of the casino is smoking. I and other family members and friends have consistently returned home smelling very strongly of smoke.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lorraine B
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a week for a conference. There are several dining options of which I tried three. The food was good.

The wifi is free for all resort guests (staying at the hotel or not) but I did find that I had to log-in each time my phone timed out which was kind of a pain.

The rooms are average but they did have a balcony.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JRobokopp
Franklin, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel in March 2014 for a convention that I attended that was being held at the hotel. I stayed with my Mom and son. First of all, when you enter the hotel, you are instantly hit by the smell of smoke emanating into the public areas, coming from the casino. That smell was enough for me to decide that I wouldn't even step foot within the walls of the casino - that much of a turn off - and I never did. After that, I got to stand in a pretty long line for check-in with my restless two year old. When we finally got to the counter, the receptionist was nice enough, and we got a really convenient room, near to the pool, as requested. However, the hotel apparently has an absolutely no late check out policy - which was EXTREMELY inconvenient for me. My convention ended on Friday at 3 pm - which meant that if I stayed for the entire thing, my Mom and son would've been "homeless" for four hours. Given that this would've been a near impossible feat, particularly during naptime with a two-year-old, I had to leave my convention early. It was ridiculous. I understand that they don't want to hold rooms just for people to store their luggage, but I explained my situation to them, and there was absolutely no compromise - my Mom had to check out at 11 am, and I had to leave my convention early. I felt like asking the hotel for reimbursement for the part of the convention that was forced to miss.
That evening, I met a fellow convention attendee at the upstairs sports bar for a drink. It was disgusting. All of the tables were filthy and hadn't been cleared or wiped down. So we had to sit at the bar. There was also food and stickiness all over that. On the floor around us there was bits of food everywhere. My friend asked the bartender what soup they had - chili only, and he didn't recommend it. All of this spoke highly for how the unseen kitchen in back must operate... gross.
As for our room, there were some nice features. The bathroom in particular appeared to have been newly renovated, and it was lovely. Lots of counterspace. Rainshower faucet. But unfortuantely no bath tub. This may have been a handicap accessible room, and thus the lack of tub, but that was an annoying thing for me with my son along.
The room also had pretty poor lighting and very few television channels (they want you in the casino, I imagine, not sitting in your room watching television). There were other things that were, oddly, in very poor condition, such as ripped lampshades in the bathroom.
The worst part to me though was the convention facilities. Internet service was VERY sparse throughout the convention facility, and both our presenters and attendees had to deal without a solid internet connection - very annoying at a convention. The food at the convention was also not the best. Very sub-par cafeteria style food. Blech.
I hope that my association never holds convention at this facility again. If they do, I'll probably find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Requesting a room near the pool ended up being very convenient for me, with my son.