“HOG Rally Destination”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“HOG Rally Destination”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent three nights at the Ho Chunk Resort for the Wisconsin Harley Owners Group Rally. Check in was easy, although they wouldn't honor the coupons that they offered on their website, as we were told that we were getting a special rate for the group. This vast resort was clean and the staff, for the most part, were very friendly and efficient. I didn't care for people being allowed to smoke in the casino. Our room was nicely laid out and was made up early each morning. The Stand Rock Buffet inside of the resort was very nicely supplied with many great choices for both the evening and breakfast sessions. We paid about $20 more a night than other members of our group staying at other hotels in the area, but with threatening weather over our stay and us being on motorcycles, we were glad that we stayed here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Curly H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2014

After reading the reviews, I was afraid I made the wrong choice. Our room was clean, staff was friendly and helpful! Bed was so comfortable! The only thing I agree with is, if you book on-line the price will be higher by $30.00 when you check out. I talked to the desk clerk when we checked out, she did say they are working on remodeling all rooms! Yes the bathroom was a little dark, but there was also a lighted make-up mirror, but no fan! The hotel rooms are in a "U" shape, so if walking in a problem, ask for a room close to the lobby elevator! I think our room was 3 blocks from the elevator! And my final thought, and this is just me, if the casino makes that much money in the casino, they could lower the room rates, and food cost, seems like good marketing. We will stay again!

Room Tip: If You have a problem walking, ask for a room close to the hotel lobby elevators. I don't know i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cheryl382
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My expectations after reading previous reviews was very low. They were wrong! Went for a couple of days with friends and had a great time! Place was clean and very nice. Staff was very friendly and ready to help with anything you asked for. Entire group was very impressed with all employees from hotel staff to casino and resturants!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank maureen w
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We decided to take a quick two night trip to Casino within Wisconsin. After a couple quick review checking we decided to try Ho-Chunk near the wisconsin Dells. Nice rooms, decent size and amenities. We took a second floor for room which helps eliminate noise from the hallways on the lower level twith people go to/from the casino/parking. Good variety food choices and nice casino floor. The service we received was good, no long wait and everyone was polite.
The casino floor is open and offers a wide selection of slot machines and the cansino was never what i would consider over packed

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VWmanGTI1
Ellsworth, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went here for a couple days to get away on spring break. Especially excited about the greyhound racing parlor. Hotel looked great. Casino looked great. what could possibly go wrong. EVERYTHING. I booked online. The site was a mess and unfriendly this is always a clue but of course i worked through it and booked a room. i got to the desk to check in and was informed i couldn't finish checking in until i became a casino club member. it didn't say this on the website and why would it allow you to book a special you didn't qualify for. i went and got the card all the way on the other side of the complex as did other guests trying to check in. This took over a half hour. what a messy system. Of course huge line when i got back full of people having do the same thing. When i finally got to the desk again we had to start over again. Now i find out the rate i was given wasnt right and they werent going to honor it. So it cost me an extra $30 over what the internet rate was. By now i just wanted it to be over i was tired and wanted to get to my room. when i got to the room it was the wrong style i called the front desk and left 3 messages because nobody ever answered. the rest of the evening there were long lines at the front desk so i just gave up feeling totally defeated. Greyhounds were great but parlor was way back in the corner. Only problem about 10pm they just shut it down. No reason other than only a few people but why not just close the window? everybody was using the machines anyway to be why shut down the tv's and kick everyone out. Frustrating. Game here if you came to play but stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank scott k

Travellers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was so excited to be leaving for the weekend for my getaway! The hotel was stunning when I first walked in! I arrived at 6:30pm and while there was 7 people assisting at the front desk when I first got there it still took me an hour in line to check in. About ½ an hour through it went to 3 people which I wasn’t sure why because the line was still very long and it was a Friday night so the line got longer! Once I got to the desk I was appalled at the way I was treated because unfortunately my friend put the reservations under her and her card. They then needed to talk to her and of course this is the one time I didn’t have my phone on my hip and who memorizes phone numbers anymore. She stated “you will have to get back in line to wait which sucks to be you” Really I thought that comment weird. So after I came back in I waited another ½ hour to confirm. Nothing was said like I’m sorry for your wait after I expressed that I had waited twice in line and wasted an hour and a half in line!

I then went up to our room and on the way there the hall smelled of stale BO and dirty diapers! Of course as soon as I got in the room that smell was in there as well. I then began to spray perfume all over! The room itself was clean and beautiful the only complaint was the bathroom was too dark for applying makeup and no fan. It appeared that they were still working on this as the hairdryer was in a basket instead of attached to the wall which had several holes. When my friend got there we decided to go downstairs and check out the casino. As we approached the stench of smoke was insane. I knew there was going to be smoking, but I thought there would be much better ventilation! This was a huge disappointment! We had planned that we would go play bingo at 10pm since it was the last night for the fun bingo. We had needed a pen to fill out the raffle so we went to the dobber counter to ask for one. She stated that she didn’t have one so I then spotted one attached to the counter which she didn’t bring attention to. It was while we were filling ours out that she stated to another couple looking for a pen that they could use hers! Really we were shocked and appalled! To blantingly be that rude! I then asked her where do we get drinks from because it was advertise that they would have $1 drinks and she stated to look around! Then bingo started. The only complaint would be is that you couldn’t hear her over the music as she was giving directions and so it would’ve been nice to have the music off during those times because we did pay for this and we actually bought two! They had a couple of games that had “WILD” numbers and nobody around us could figure out what those were until the last game that used them. After bingo we went back to the room because it was even more smokey by this time which I wouldn’t have thought possible. On the way to our room we stopped at the front desk to ask where the spa was since we were not given a map of the grounds and she told us where it was.

Saturday we woke up with sore throats which I’m guessing was from all the smoke! We had an appointment for a hot stone massage at 10am. At 9:30 we started on our way to the spa. By this time not to our surprise the spa was the pool!! We asked people who were cleaning the rooms where the spa was and they were very polite unlike most of the people working there and they had no clue! Finally we asked one who had been there 5 years and it was on 2nd floor. I was expecting a huge place but that explains why nobody knew of it because it was a local spa that rented out a room for the services. I will say that it was clean and the people were very professional. I am glad that I did not do a package with the massage and mani/pedi though because then you would have to leave the grounds and drive to another location for just the mani/pedi as they do not do that there and I wish it was stated more clearly that on the site. The massage was amazing and they did a wonderful job! We were told we needed to settle out below at the concierge our payment and when we got there no one was there. We waited for a while and then I decided to go to the front desk where one person was standing in front and three ladies were gabbing in the back near a podium. One stepped away and said “yes” not how can I help you!! We went to the desk and which she stated that she thought we missed our appointment because apparently you are supposed to check in with her before going. It would’ve been nice to have known all these little details. However, when I made the reservation we had to give our phone number and I wasn’t missing a call to see if we were going or okay! We decided to go back to the room and get ready to go to the pool. While in our room we had gotten a call as I had made reservations for the Copper Oak restaurant for 5pm and they were calling to ask if we could move it to 5:30pm because they were booked. Not a biggy. We then went to the pool which was clean and we were the only ones there so it was nice. I will say that the whirlpool was not very warm at 95 degrees and they did not restock the towels from the morning rush so my friend was lucky to have found the last two towels left. There was nobody on duty that we could’ve even asked to help us. So after that we went up to the room to get ready for our big show with En Vogue which was the main reason we were here!!! While getting ready I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine and of course I picked up one with a cork without thinking. I called the front desk and they stated they couldn’t help me because I could possibly steal the wine opener. I then stated that I could open it immediately and they could take it away and she said that was not an option! Apparently they don’t get that if I unwind or drink I may come to the casino and spend a little money! CRAZY THE WAY THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS LACKING AT SUCH A NICE HOTEL!! So we got ready and we thought we would get to the restaurant at 5pm to enjoy a cocktail before dinner! The minute the doors opened the bartender let out a huge belch and both my friend and I who are dressed very nice turned around and he stated “forgot where I was” Of course this is the person who would be serving us a cocktail! There was a blender on the bar and so my friend asked for a margarita and he stated no. She then asked what blended drinks he could make and he stated none. Then when she asked why the blender was on the bar he had no answer which to me was a blunt hint to get it off the bar because it advertises that they do blended drinks. So we settled for Martini’s of which they only had 1 kind he could make! What kind of bar is this? This is a fancier restaurant and so far I was not impressed. He made the martini’s with a couple of plastic cups and of course as he poured he let in ice into our drink! I thought after everything else that the next thing would be he would put his fingers in our drink to remove it, but he didn’t thank goodness! A server came up to the bar and placed several canteens of water on his bar and he rudely stated that those needed to be removed in a not so nice tone! The meal was good and service was good. The only thing is I confronted our server about being booked. I asked her how many servers they had on which was 4 and usually they have 5. I asked her how many tables she had and she stated 6 of which only 4 were full. I told her that they were turning people away at the front door stating they were booked and clearly there were empty tables all while we were there and we were there for an hour. As someone who was a former trainer at Applebee’s I was a little shocked that they were turning business away, but at the same time nothing was a surprise by now with the service of this entire hotel. Each table could potentially have a bill of $100 + and they were turning it away! Poor managing if you ask me. The staff could’ve been more appropriately dressed rather then being in street clothes especially with the hostess who is your first impression when you walk in the door. The manager was carrying a walky talky and at one point was shouting into it. We were on time for our show and they were considerate of the time when we told them that we were going. THE SHOW WAS EXCELLENT!!! EN VOGUE knows how to put it on and the crowd was involved and dancing!!!! We did get free rewards to spend in the hotel casino for attending the show so we decided to go spend them. Again the room was a complete haze! We didn’t stay long because our eyes were burning before too long.

Sunday morning we both woke up again with sore throats. There was no paperwork under the door to let us know what time we had to be out by and how to do settle out with a express checkout. We went to call and our phone didn’t work so when we left at 10:30am we asked a woman cleaning the rooms what we needed to do and she took our room keys!!! When we got out to our cars there were a bunch of ladies doing their makeup because they had the same complaint that the bathroom was so dark! They were not impressed either with service and were glad they only stayed 1 night and it was because of the show!

I would not recommend this place hotel or casino to anyone at all!!! There is so much potential for this hotel to be as classy as its appearance portrays. But the customer service clearly can not hold up to its image!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank Laurie-Lauretta B
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2014

In the last couple of years, Ho-chunk renovated all of their hotel rooms. So now the hotel rates are much higher than they used to be. The rooms look nice; however, there are some issues with the rehab.
1. Don't bother trying to watch television on the snowy screen. There's cable but it's a terrible picture.
2. Bring your own soap or ask housekeeping for more. They only provide you with one small bar of soap for everyone in the room. I'm not inclined to wash my face with the same bar of soap my husband uses in the shower - but that's just me. He doesn't want to use the frilly body wash.
3. BRING A FLASHLIGHT!!!! The lighting in the rooms is absolutely terrible and if you want light in the shower - forget it. The bathroom lighting is the worst and that's usually the room you need the most light in. Careful in the shower, once you close the curtain, you won't be able to see a thing!
4. CUSTOMER SERVICE: When I made the reservation, I requested a 1st floor room close to the lobby because I'm traveling with a senior citizen using a cane who has issues with heights. I arrived early and was told the room wasn't ready yet - come back later. I returned to the front desk no less than 3 times. Finally, well after check-in time my room was ready but guess what!? After all the rechecking with the front desk, they gave my room away and I ended up on the 2nd floor.

The photo I took of the shower area was so dark, it didn't even turn out to post here.

We had a good meal at the Whazawa Grill, but after rereading my review, I think I'm being too generous with 3 out of 5.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Pamela H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#17 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#4 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center
Wintergreen Resort & Conference ...
#19 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!