“Anchor's Class - 1st time!”

Devils Lake Climbing Guides
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Devils Lake Climbing guides offers high-quality rock climbing and rappelling instruction for beginning and intermediate climbers from the only AMGA-certified guides in Wisconsin. We offer Climbing Trips for beginners, families, and groups eager to get out on the rock and try outdoor climbing for the first time. We teach technical anchor and lead climbing courses, suitable for climbers who want to start leading their own self-guided trips. If you want to get out climbing in the Midwest, you won't find a better option than climbing with us at Devils Lake!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for some time, and was determined not to forget to do so because of the amazing first time experience my friends and I had during an anchor's course with Nick. Setting an anchor system for top roping was a first time for our group of 4. Nick provided us with some suggested reading prior to the course, which turned out to be a tremendous help during the day of the course. We all had different learning styles, and took to concepts at a different pace, but Nick was able to cater to all of our abilities and we each felt confident and safe throughout the day. While we came away knowing a tremendous amount about top rope setting, we also realized the need for continuing education - we will definitely be back for more in-depth Anchor setting classes with Nick! - Jackie P.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"skills"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My partner and I participated in a one-day Anchors course. Nick and Amy tailored the day to meet our needs and areas of interest. They were open to approaching our course however we felt most comfortable, which was to organically learn techniques and ask questions as problems arose in our anchor building practice. Nick was an exceptional teacher challenging us to question our gear placements and coaching us in best practices. Amy shared her experiences and knowledge as well and I felt safe and confident in their ability to guide us towards building bomb-proff 10-minute anchors...As an added bonus, Nick took photos of us throughout the day and sent them along to us afterwards!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just got back from climbing this past weekend and it was great. Nick and Amy were both excellent. We had some issues with rain in the morning but they used that time to teach us a little bit about anchors (ropes, knots, and how to place them to climb) which was interesting. Things cleared up after a bit and we were able to get to the climbing.

Nick and Amy set up a couple of ropes for us and we got started. My wife and I have climbing experience at the gym but this was our first time outside. There was another couple that had no experience at all. Nick and Amy were able to accommodate all of us. They set us up in an area with some relatively straightforward climbs and some that you really had to think about and work for. They helped us when we needed it, and let us do our thing when we didn't.

I highly recommend Devils Lake Climbing Guides. We'll definitely give them a call again when we're ready to go back.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My friends and I had the best first climbing trip with Nick. Nick was very knowledgeable and efficient, not to mention funny and musical throughout the entirety of the day. Nick made our trip memorable, especially since none of us had ever climbed outside the gym before. He set up a bunch of anchors as we were still climbing, so we didn't have to wait in between climbs, which definitely sped up the process. He entertained us the whole trip with his funny jokes and took a lot of amazing pictures. I definitely will be taking the anchors course next summer. Thanks for your help, Nick!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Our family likes to do an adventure escape every July for my wife's birthday and this is one we will never forget. Nick handled everything and made it easy. We chose the "Canoe-Camp-Climb" package and made one payment to Nick and he took care of the rest. He has a great, laid-back sense about him, but very professional and very respectful of our needs while helping to push us just a little bit. We felt very safe in our climbs and he taught us quite a bit. We didn't want to leave! We'll be back soon.