“great place”

Jose's Authentic Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Baraboo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are proud to share our authentic Mexican recipes with you. Only the best ingredients are used to ensure your meal is perfection every time. We hope that when it is time for you to leave, you walk away with memories of a wonderful meal, a smile on your face, and a desire to come back again – soon! Jose Louis Parra Vera
Reviewed 7 August 2014

a nice mexican restaraunt here in baraboo. Every time i come here the experiance is great. The food is top notch, and the value is unbelievably good, plus the owner Jose is always warm and hospitable. If you come to baraboo do yourself a favor and stop in for a great meal.

1  Thank twinkiefan2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We've been here before a couple times & decided last year to try "the other mexican restaurant in Baraboo" last year... HUGE MISTAKE. Jose's is by far the better of the 2....& I'm not counting Taco Bell as a "Mexican restaurant". Drinks were OVERSIZED ( which is a good thing) & not cheap on the booze. Order can out & actually was wrong from what I ordered.... no problem.... another order came out in 2 minutes when promised in 1 minute, only strike against them. The place was very lively with all tables filled & people eagerly waiting for a table.... nobody looked upset to wait. We ordered medium margaritas ( thank god because the large was enough for several people). They even offered me to take home the order that I returned... the beef instead if the chix I requested.... which I did. Needless to say, we will return.

1  Thank TDKOOPS
Reviewed 20 July 2014

In order for reviews to be meaningful, there should be consistent standards across all areas of the country/world. A 5 star rating in Baraboo should require the same level of food quality, atmosphere, service and comfort as a 5 star restaurant in New York or LA. Clearly that is not happening. Case in point is Jose’s Mexican restaurant. This place would get a 3 star rating (or so) in the large city where I live - yet it gets a 5 star rating in Baraboo. I am sure that based on my limited experience with Baraboo area restaurants - this is not the best restaurant. Obviously others differ. What I am sure of is that a 5 star rating is undeserved.

This place is a Dive. I mean that in a nice way - dives can be fun experiences. The table tops are bare (Formica, I think) the napkins are thin paper, the tables/booths are spaced so closely that it was difficult for me to get to my table without disturbing other diners. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. The service is fast. The food is good (not great or exceptional but a solid GOOD). There were two birthday celebrations while we were there - the restaurant staff sing a song (in Spanish) and place a fancy sombrero on the head of the birthday person. That was nice. The complimentary chips come with a strange tasting ranch dressing like sauce and a spicy red salsa (which was good). I had the guacamole appetizer which was good but kind of a small portion (though fairly priced). My main course was a seafood platter. It contained crab meat, shrimp and scallops. Again, the food was good. The portion size was large. It came with sides of refried beans, rice, tacos and Mexican condiments.

I would like to give Jose’s 3.5 stars, but I cannot do that so I have given it 3 stars since it does not deserve 4 stars. Jose’s may be one of the top 5 restaurants in the Baraboo area - but that does not mean it deserves much more than 3 stars. That is just indicative of the quality of restaurants in Baraboo. Here, the best would just be rated average elsewhere.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We tried this restaurant four times, and really wanted to like it, as the owner really tries to make you feel special, but the food doesn’t impress. I thought the chicken chimichanga was dry, tough and stringy. We didn’t like the enchilada sauces, and we sampled four of them. The fajitas were just okay, but lacked flavor, and the corn tortillas were tough, so we asked for flour, which were better. The chips and salsa were good, but that is not enough to bring us back. The seat was torn, and the artificial plants hanging from the ceiling over our tables were dusty. Again, they had great attitudes, but for great food we go weekly to Los Nopales across town.

1  Thank Heather H
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My whole family came her for lunch and you can't beat the prices and service. I had a taco,burrito, and rice lunch for $5.75. Great portion along with the complimentary chips and salsas that were fantastic.

Recommendation: if you come Monday to Wednesday, they have buy one, get one margaritas! They were also very good! This place will definitely be apart of our yearly Dells trip now!