“Smelly, Unclean Rooms”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed 28 August 2014

First room given smelled like cat urine. 2nd room slight odor. 3rd room smelled fine, but freezer was dirty and sink drain stop had black mold. Both latter problems brought to housekeeping's attention and not addressed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shirley K
Daniel T, Front Office Manager at Best Western Baraboo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Shirley K,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding our mutual expectations. I knew about the issues you initially encountered as I was the one who was showing you the different rooms in order to ensure the comfort of your stay with us. I was not aware of the other issues that you mentioned and I will directing my staff to deal with them as soon as possible. This will be followed by a lengthy conversation with our housekeepers about the importance of following through with guest requests and concerns. I do apologize as I can see the issues you encountered were large detractors from your stay. This is not something that is typical of a stay with us and I am sincerely sorry that you encountered it. Your satisfaction is important to me and I will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Excellent place to stay, staff treated us good and lobby was inviting, Clean and comfortable bed and the room had plenty of space. Breakfast was better than some we have had in the past. Shower had water pressure which is a blessing after being outside all day. Desk clerk recommended a Mexican restaurant to us that was very good. Would recommend this for anyone to stay for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ladybug074

Dear ladybug074,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. Having a nice, comfortable, and clean place to stay can really make difference even if you are only visiting for a short time. I am glad that my staff was able to accommodate you in that regard.

I am happy that you visited one of our area restaurants on the suggestion of our front desk staff. While we do have an in house restaurant we also have a great variety of others to choose from in the nearby area and I am glad that you had a great meal there.

I appreciate your feedback and thank you again for taking the time to talk about us.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had multiple rooms reserved here for our daughter's recent wedding at Devil's Lake and the Best Western staff, starting with Daniel, the manager, was outstanding. He was friendly, extremely helpful, and went above and beyond to anticipate and meet our special needs. We made use of the breakfast room for a private pizza party for our wedding guests which was a great option. Our guests were very comfortable there and also pleased with the friendly service. My request to have close families in rooms near one another was honored, and our need for a temporary storage space for wedding flowers and accoustical equipment was very happily offered. We couldn't have been more pleased.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Rob S
Daniel T, Front Office Manager at Best Western Baraboo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Rob S,

I wanted to thank you for your review of our hotel as well as your kind words. As I have stated with other reviews the service that you received is something that we believe should be a standard not only within our industry but our community as well. I am very happy that your daughters wedding went well and if you should find yourself in the area again it would be our pleasure to have you with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I am by nature a hotel snob. I was leery about a Best Western. All doubt cast from the moment we walked in. Daniel's passion for hospitality is bar none. Excellent to-do advice, printed maps - heck I saw him loan his personal phone charger to a customer on the way to the elevator. Yes, the carpet needs replacing, but that was easy to overlook. The bed - snugly heaven. Bath towels were fluffier than at The Ritz. (seriously) The breakfast - included with your stay - huge variety, well beyond what I have seen at 4 and 4.5 star hotels. I think Diamondgirl must have stayed somewhere else. Waffler maker, bakery selection, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, sausage, biscuits... something for everyone and well stocked. Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank missymariemissymarie

Dear Missymariemissymarie,

I wanted to thank for your kind words about my service. The passion that I share for the industry as well as the area is something that I look for in all of my employees. Baraboo is also wonderful community and I know that the staff we have is just as enthusiastic about our town as I am. I am glad to have our service stand out as exceptional during your stay and I hope that we can continue to provide consistently awesome service as we move forward. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

First let me start with the positive....well after complaining to corporate I did get a 15% discount. That's the only positive. The hotel rugs are stained and disgusting. The beds and baths, on the surface, are okay (I didn't want to really investigate this). The pool is too small to accommodate more than 5 people. The breakfast would have better feed to the garbage disposal--I would not have given it to starving children. The air conditioning was leaking in the breakfast room. The staff were not child friendly. There was wifi, in the hotel lobby. Overall this was an awful hotel. Stay and eat at your own risk.

1  Thank Diamondgirl98
Daniel T, Front Office Manager at Best Western Baraboo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Diamondgirl98,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for not meeting our mutual expectations and discuss the changes we have made in the time since you were with us.

With regards to the hotel's carpets I do agree that during your time with us they were quite dirty. We have started a regular cleaning schedule after hiring new maintenance staff and while the carpets are indeed worn and old they are clean. We have recently come under new ownership and will be renovating the property this fall and among the first steps that we will take will be the replacement of the carpets throughout the entire hotel.

We have been fine tuning the breakfast over the course of the summer and I am sorry that this fell short of your expectations as it was clearly a large detractor from your stay with us. The recent feedback we have received from our guests shows that we have improved in this area so we feel it is coming around. We have also replaced the A/C unit that was leaking at that time and have not had any continuing issues.

The wi-fi was recently upgraded for the entire property. We have made significant upgrades to the overall speed as well. The range provided by these new access points provides ready availability from anywhere in the hotel and we have not received any bad feedback since this has occured.

The pool itself is roughly eighteen thousand gallons of water with the capacity to hold potentially 20 people. I would agree that it is smaller but we have always found it to be sufficient to meet our guest's needs. If we have a guest who would be looking for something larger we do offer discounts to one of the area waterparks through our front desk.

As to our front desk I have discussed our various policies in regards to noise levels and guest management in that time and we have set guidelines that I feel will improve our overall guest experience as we move forward into the fall season.

I thank you again for taking the time to discuss our hotel. I hope that you would consider visiting our hotel again so that we may provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed two nights in July for a family reunion. We first booked with a hotel across the street, and after seeing that room, we decided to check out the Best Western instead. Thankfully there was availability at the Best Western. This is not a new hotel by any means, but every thing was very clean and bright. I had a room with two queen beds, and this room included a fridge and microwave. Breakfast was not the best I've ever had, but it was ok. If traveling to the Baraboo area in the future, I would definitely stay here again. The one thing that made this stay so nice was the Hotel Manager, Daniel. He has to be one of the most friendly and eager to help individuals I've ever met during my years of traveling. From dining suggestions to area maps and directions, Daniel was quick to help and you could tell right away that this guy loved his job and he loved helping people.

3  Thank Jeff60468
Daniel T, Front Office Manager at Best Western Baraboo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Jeff60468,

I wanted to thank you for your review of our property but also for your kind words about myself. The customer service that is provided by my staff as well as myself is something that together we feel should set the bar for the industry as well as the area. I know this is something that I strive for and I hope to instill this same enthusiasm into my employees. I was very happy to be able to accommodate your whole family during your time here in Baraboo and I genuinely hope that you will return to see us in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a block of rooms for our daughters wedding. Staff were very helpful and accommodating to our needs well in advance of the stay and during the nights we were there. The rooms were very clean and nice.

2  Thank Dan G

Dear Dan G,

I was our pleasure to host your family during your daughters wedding and I am happy that our staff stood out as exceptional during your stay with us. The customer service that you received is something that we feel should be a standard for every guest that walks through our doors not just the ones coming to visit us for special occasions. I hope that we can accommodate you in the future with the same consistently awesome service.

Best Western Baraboo Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#29 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
7 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsi...
#13 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells

Been to Best Western Baraboo Inn? Share your experiences!