“Disappointing”

The Cedar Beach Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Belgium
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were at here for a wedding, and had a great time. Mostly because of the company of our friends and the awesome DJ.

The Good:

The location and building are very cool.

The bartenders were nice.

The Cedar Beach Inn "recommended" photographer and DJ were great.

The Bad:

The food ( buffet style ) was terrible. Mushy beef, dry chicken, instant potatoes, etc... The only thing that wasn't bad was the salad and rolls. This was surprising with the good reviews for the fish fry.

The bar was seriously under stocked. They ran out of essentials before dinner was even served.
It was also way under staffed. I watched the Groom wait 10 minutes to get a drink which is ridiculous to do to the man paying you. When the manager was approached about the issue he replied " Have you seen the size of that bar? Only two people can fit back there! " Not a very professional response for a manager. It is a decent size bar they just didn't staff for 175 people. At dinner the bar was closed ( as typical at a wedding ) however no warning was given. By the time the speeches began all glasses ( plastic cups ) were empty, it's kind of hard to toast the Bride and Groom with a cup of ice.

There was a video the Happy Couple wanted played during the reception, that didn't happen.

At one point the kitchen door was propped open ( ? ) and a pair of used shoes was on one of the counters next to a pan of food. Yuck!

The bottom line... don't book your wedding here if you are looking for that Perfect Day. By the end of the night The groom was angry and the Bride near tears. If a place advertises a capacity of 220 people they need to have the staff and supplies to service them.

2  Thank JCKEW54
CedarBeachInn, Owner at The Cedar Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

We appreciate all feedback that we get, positive and negative, and take it seriously. Having said that, the reviewer has presented a lot of false information in this review. I will not get into a war of words with this person, but I would like to point out a few corrections to the inaccurate information:

At no time was the bar "seriously understocked" and we will leave that as a difference of opinion. I will point out, however, that most banquet facilities don't stock near the variety of beverage offerings that Cedar Beach Inn does. I believe we did run short on some bottled beer, but it is made known to every bride and groom that due to limited hours of operation and cooler size, we can only stock certain amounts of bottles. There was plenty of liquor and tap beer available to all guests.

The reviewer felt the bar service was inadequate and that is again a difference of opinion that she is allowed to have. We stand on our years of experience with the same size (and larger) weddings and have never had an issue. A wait for drinks during a limited cocktail hour is very normal in this industry when you have 150+ guests arriving at the same

Additionally, you will note that the reviewer also pointed to the bartenders as being nice and complimented them elsewhere - which is a bit of a conflict. I personally went to the groom when it was brought to my attention that he felt he wasn't getting the service he should have and continued to check with him throughout the evening. He assured me that everything had been taken care of. The reviewer took parts of that conversation completely out of context and misrepresented the actual events.

As is the case with all weddings, signs were placed on the bar top indicating that it was temporarily closed so that the bartenders could clean and re-stock from the cocktail hour.

Regarding the food: again we stand behind our many years of experience and feedback that contradicts the reviewer. If there were any problem with the food, it was due to the fact that the wedding party kept their guests waiting for nearly 45min AFTER the dinner service was to begin and the food was ready - despite several attempts from our staff and the photographer to proceed inside for dinner. Not only was it rude to the rest of the guests in attendance, but it left food sitting longer than it should have through NO FAULT of the Cedar Beach Inn.

The item about dirty shoes being on a prep counter is simply false. In fact, our last state inspection resulted in a PERFECT score - which is a rare feat in this industry. I'm not sure what the reviewer may have seen, but it certainly was not dirty shoes on a prep area, nor during a time when food was being prepared or served.

Again, if the bride and groom were unhappy then it should have been brought to my attention by them - not by certain members of the wedding party who insisted on convincing them they should be unhappy (such as this reviewer). We enjoyed working with the bride and groom and are sincerely sorry if they were not happy with their special day and would invite them to contact us privately at any time.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a great surprise this place turned out to be. While it is definitely off of the beaten path, it is well worth the drive. I had never heard of it before, in fact I live 7 miles from Belgium and never knew it existed until this past Friday. A face book post from one of my favorite musicians, Ryan Macintyre, tipped me off. He mentioned he was playing there this past Friday, so I looked them up on Facebook.  Sure enough, once simply a banquet hall, catering to wedding parties, receptions and the like, they have expanded their business to include Friday Fish Fry's! So we decided to check it out.  While we were initially going to hear Ryan Macintyre play, we will be going back for the amazing food and quaint atmosphere! As luck would have it, Friday was one of two times this summer that they will be doing a traditional up north fish boil. Rumor has it that they will be doing that again on Labor Day weekend, but don’t quote me. I won't go into details about the fish boil, (look it up on Wikipedia, because the description is pretty involved) ,but let’s just say I’ve been told many people around here love it, and from what I understand  they are hard to find unless you are around the door county area..., so this is a treat for many... Unfortunately I’m not one of those folks that like fish boils, so I went for their regular fish fry...which was amazing, but I will get to that. The dining room is a good sized open space with approximately 10-15 different sized tables scattered around. There was a nice sized bar that wasn't very crowded, and the bartender was exceptional! We sat at the bar for a cocktail, and the hostess didn’t have any problem pushing our reservation back to 8. I’m not sure if you would need a reservation any other Friday, but they did recommend it for the fish boil since it is such a production. Anyway, we did get a nice table not far from the stage and enjoyed music while eating our dinner. I have to say that the food was exceptional. I opted for a seafood platter which was a generous helping of fried fish, fried shrimp, baked/broiled fish, your choice of French fries or potato pancakes, creamy cole slaw and some of the best Rye bread I’ve had in a while. Not only was it tasty, but it was quite affordable at $13.95 I believe. My husband opted for the larger seafood platter which also included calamari and another type of fish for $16.95. I feel the prices were very reasonable, and the portions were quite substantial. The menu also included other options such as sandwiches, burgers, appetizers and other offerings, but we chose the fish fry and we were definitely not disappointed. The food seemed very fresh and hot, you could tell it wasn’t just sitting around under a heat lamp, definitely cooked to order.

That being said, I would say there are only two drawbacks to this place; first and foremost, the tables are way too close together. As I said it is a decent sized open room, with the bar to the left and tables to the right, leading up to a stage where the musician played. Unfortunately I just think the tables have no rhyme or reason and they seem too crowded together. You feel like you are sitting with other people, and there is absolutely no privacy at all.

The only other complaint we had, and I feel in all fairness of a good review, that I really do need to mention this, is that our original waitress was awful! After we were seated, with only one menu to share, we sat there for about ten minutes before the waitress stopped by and said she would be right with us. That is the last we saw of her for another 15 minutes. We couldn’t believe it when there were several other waitresses that were meandering around and seemed to be doing an excellent job of taking care of their tables. Our waitress never reappeared, so I actually stopped a woman who was cleaning off a table and asked her if she worked there. As luck would have it, she was the owner. When I told her that our waitress had yet to even take our drink order, or come back to our table, she promptly got to the bottom of the situation and sent the waitress over to us. Unfortunately, she had a really bad attitude with our table. She was rude and not pleasant in the least. She never asked us if we wanted drinks, and then she went and stood at the bar instead of bringing out our coleslaw and bread which apparently is the way they do things there. After another 15 minutes, and seeing that other newer tables were getting their food, my sister approached our waitress at the bar and asked her if she was going to bring our food out. She was very rude to my sister and snapped at her. I was really taken aback. At this point we almost just got up and left. However, a very nice young lady came to our table, the hostess I believe, and asked how things were. This after we had to go to the bar twice and get drinks because our waitress wouldn’t wait on us and she was standing at the bar. When the bartender admonished her and told her she needed to take care of our table, she rolled her eyes at me, shrugged her shoulders and refused to come to our table. I honestly could not believe the attitude and lack of customer service that she displayed. At this point we discovered from another employee that our waitress was the owner’s 16 year old daughter. That seriously explained everything about the situation because after the owner found out it was her daughter that was waiting on us she didn’t scold her at all, nor did she hurry her along. We eventually asked for another waitress, and the bartender and one of the co-owners took over our table. After that, the service was superb, and they really managed to turn our night around with their solicitous nature. They did go above and beyond to try and make things up to us, offered us a drink on the house and free desert. We didn’t’ take them up on it but the offer was nice just the same. While we were thinking we would not be back since the service was so poor originally, we did decide we would definitely give them another chance. We left there feeling like we were very well taken care of in the end, and the food is some of the best I’ve had in a long time. We will definitely find our way back there again for another Friday dinner. However, we will make choose our waitress ourselves!

1  Thank BarbDeBlois
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

It looks like a big, beautiful, rustic country inn, but is apparently not open except when rented as a banquet hall for weddings. What a waste of a gorgeous place! Walking distance to a great, wild beach!

While we certainly appreciate the kind words ab0ut our place and location, the information presented by the reviewer is not accurate. We are, in fact, open to the public every Friday from 5pm to 9pm for Fish Fry. We also host a Door County style Fish Boil on the Friday of every Memorial and Labor Day weekends! And we are currently open (summer hours) on Thursdays from 5 to 9pm for Prime Rib. As the reviewer mentioned, our main business is as a banquet facility and is available for rental for weddings, banquets, school and corporate functions and more!

We feel that giving us a 3-star review solely based on the reviewer's frustration of not being able to experience our well-known, high quality food is a bit unfair. We hope that you will stop in sometime during our open hours and give us a chance to raise the rating!