“Beds are terrible”

Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel
Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The beds were terribly uncomfortable! The pricing seemed inflated, but it is the only hotel in town. It seemed clean, but is need of a facelift including new beds and bedding!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveler571
There are newer reviews for Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My associate and I were visiting in Berlin Wisconsin and decided to stay at the Countryside Lodge. A small very clean hotel.

No it doesn't have the flat screens and a suite but for approximately $80, it is a very good value with continental breakfast. It has a nice work-out area, weight machine, treadmill, bike, stair climber better than some of the Hampton's, Doubletree, Choice hotels etc.at which i stayed.

The sink is in the room itself with toliet and bathtub/shower combo in separate small room.

It has FREE wireless which I find with some name brand hotels in cities is only Free if you are a Silver or above member otherwise at least $9/day.

The hotel is conveniently located to many small stores and restaurant/bars. Supermarket is on the west of the hotel and family style restaurant south hotel. Downtown with other eating options is about a 5-1o minute walk. Note: we were there Monday night so some of these places were not open. We asked the owner where maybe a good place to eat and get a drink and he suggested downtown versus the closer places.

Room Tip: I am not picky so any room if clean is good for me. I was on second floor and did not see an elevat...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jo_and_Tom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Beds are had didn't get much sleep. Owner is very rude. Next time I'll stay somewhere else even if I have to drive 50 miles

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank didntknow
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed the night at the Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel on Sept.25th 2010. The place was clean and the people where very nice, and easy to deal with. The hotel is quiet and the breakfast was good. The only thing I would say is a down fall for me was the bed was very hard. I do not consider this a bd thing just something I am not use to. Check -in and check-out went smooth and we as a group were very happy with our stay. The price was very reasonable also. I would stay again if I were going through Berlin again. Lots of easy to get to places near hotel, food, gas, Dollar General, and a food store, within walking distance of hotel. A nice place to stop and stay awhile. Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel get a thumbs up from rating form this group of 6. Thanks and maybe we will stay again next year at this same time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank olsoncarol
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We went to visit our friends in Berlin, and stayed at the Countryside Lodge. It is nice small hotel, rooms are very clean, and comfortable. The owners are very friendly and helpful.
Lobby is cozy, with the fireplace. It is very nice place and we will be back soon. Thank you for wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ruzmarin
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I'd have driven 50 miles out of my way to avoid this place if I knew then what I know now.
'Miki' , the owner, should not be working with the public in any capacity. What a nasty man! When the room door was left ajar, he simply walked in to tell us to keep the door closed. Breakfast was low average but Miki felt it necessary to sit on the stairs and stare at me as if daring me to take another muffin. He started altercations with almost every guest at some point during the weekend.
Miki inferred that my son had stolen an old out dated wifi antenna off the guest computer by bringing it to our attention. He said "2nd time in 9 years". Someone damaged a room and 'Miki' dragged my brother into the room to show him and said "this is what your people do".....we did not know the person that had occupied that room.
We had booked almost the whole hotel for the bride & grooms family and friends and got a very special rate of $89.99 when the normal rate is $64 - $79.
On check out day (10AM check out....really?) Miki came to the room about 9:50AM and banged on the door yelling "CHECK OUT".
Housekeeping amounted to Miki asking us to hand him our garbage can to empty. When I said we'd go next door while they finished the room , he said "that's all"...We went to their cart to get new towels....others I talked to had the same lack of housekeeping.
If the rooms were lovely, it may have made up for this psycho, but ah so.....not! The beds are as hard as a rock with well worn 128 thread count sheets, towels are hard & scratchy. Those old dark flowered bed spreads (circa 1980) are probably harboring a bunch of past guest's biological contributions. This Countryside Lodge is not in the country but in the middle of Berlin next to a supermarket and gas station. One side of the hotel (our room too) had a view of the top and side of the supermarket. By the way, this property is not a Best Western. They lost their flag several months ago.
Masochists.....forewarned is forearmed. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Polly4713
Reviewed 3 September 2007

First off. . . .My wife booked two rooms. . . .(one for us- one for the bride and groom). We got to the hotel late and started to check in using the late-night check in phone. Miki (the owner) began lecturing us about how he had to get up at 5:00 in the morning to make breakfast! Then he told us that he had rented one of our rooms out! "Check your phone. . .I call you!" he said (as if that makes it all better). The problem was that he tried to run our credit card number, and since he had an outdated system, (he told us that himself,) there needed to be an authorization code for our card. So technically it was declined. However, when my wife called to make reservations, she was not told about any check in deadline or authorization for our credit card.
So here we are. . .the bride the groom- my wife and I all having to stay in the same room on their wedding night! I wish I could say it all ended there. . . .

We managed to negotiate a 25% discount for our one room and we didn't have to check out until noon. That was nice considering we had just got done listening to how difficult Miki's job was- no kidding, the check in process took an hour!

We then went to our room. . .#13. . . .i know. . .

About an hour later. . . .

Miki (the owner) made up a story about how someone had called the police concerning a noise complaint. he said the call came from room 28. . .which is upstairs and on the other side of the hall. . .When we told Miki that we didn't think that we were that loud, he said, "I stand outside door and listen to you- I heard you talk and you and you" he said as he threw his fingers in our faces. . .I think they call that eavesdropping.

The bride got fed up and decided that she and the groom would walk down the road to his parents house. . .so my wife and I, fed up with accusations, decided it would be just better if we left as well. . .as we were walking out I asked if we were going to be charged for the room. . . Miki started lecturing me once again. I asked him for a straight answer and he said "Because you're p@ss^3 off. .. I charge you. . . .now please leave. I said I would be writing to the Better Business Bureau and he started coming at me like he was going to physically throw me out.

Learn from this. It was one of the worst nights of my life. I will be sharing this with every single person I can.

P.S. The carpets in the hallways are stained.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank zradioman2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Boarders Inn and Suites Ripon, WI
Welcome Inn
#3 of 3 in Ripon
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Oshkosh
Boarders Inn and Suites Wautoma, WI

Been to Countryside Lodge Magnuson Hotel? Share your experiences!