“Beautiful place, expensive food!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birchwood
Stout's Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Birchwood B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Beautiful place, expensive food!”
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Stout's Lodge is a beautiful place...the kind you only see in Ralph Lauren ads or magazines. It was quiet...almost too quiet for the kids (pre-teens and teens) yet was full of charm, Adirondack style. Allison's cabin is gorgeous and the 240 degree view upstairs is amazing...like a tree house. Unfortunately we didn't book rooms with a kitchen, so we ate lunches and dinners at the lodge but the entrees were in the $20's to $30's for things other than PB&J or grilled cheese, so it got terribly expensive for a family of seven. The fishing under the boathouse was like nothing the kids have ever experienced...constant fish!

I was quoted a rate and reserved the rooms in full on my Visa card, but was then charged nearly $200 extra for the week upon finalizing my check-out bill, which has still not been credited to me. Off season Stouts is managed by a firm in St Paul who has not been responsive. I'd go back again if I was able to correct the problems from the first time...live and learn!

• Liked — The view from the room, the vintage nature of it, quiet and picturesque
  • Disliked — The $$$ food, relatively unchanging daily menu, being overcharged at check-out
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank Chambos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We loved the old feel and history of this place. The setting is beautiful! Our room in the lodge was very large and comfortable. There were some disappointments, however. The walls and floors have no insulation so we were never able to sleep past 7:00. We could even hear sweeping in the hallway. They were painting the room above us so at 7:30 in the morning the painters were moving large pieces of furniture. It literally sounded like they were coming through the ceiling. The food was extremely expensive and the "home baked breakfast breads" were some dry muffins. We both felt there could be some minor changes that could help a great deal: 1) a rack in the shower (with the surround curtain) so that you don't have to try and hold the soap, shampoo, razor, etc, 2) moving the reservation staff to an office so that they are not in the same room as the small breakfast area 3) a small cafe for sandwiches, soft drinks, and snacks (if you get hungry between meals, you're out of luck) 4) cleaning of spider webs in window sills 5) have the shuttle boat stick to the schedule

• Liked — The history of the place and beautiful setting
  • Disliked — The noise and overpriced food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Swedishgirl1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I live in the area and one of the places we always take our guests is to visit the Island of Happy Days. However, because of the protected privacy of their guests, this isn't somethig you can do without dinner or lunch reservations.
This is a great idea. The island is for it's guests only, and this is what makes it unique.
One of the things that people find disappointing when visiting the island, is that if they go for tranquility, but there is a family with kids running around, then their experience isn't right. And to go someplace from the island is pretty easy - but there aren't a ton of things to do - but I recommend going golfing at Tagalong, or Turtleback in Rice Lake, and going to the blue gill festival the third weekend in July.

In September, nearby Stone Lake has a cranberry fest that's really fun - and only 40 minutes or so from where your car will be. Or drive up to hayward and enjoy the fall colors.

It will give you some local flavor as well.
there are also water bikes, kayaks and massage provided by the hotel right on site.
So bring a good book relax, explore - and you'll have a good time. But this won't be the pampered resort experience in a five star hotel that you may have experienced at say, a hacienda del sol in Tucson. (However, I didn't like it there)

If you want an adventurous stay, this won't be for you.
The rooms are quite rustic - and my dinner experience was less than fabulous.

• Liked — history, unique ness, remote setting
  • Disliked — the hotel should have a calendar of events at the hotel, and in the area for people to learn about.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank citygirlcountrygirl
Malvern, Ohio
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I spent a week here at Stout's Island Lodge by myself and it was a spiritual experience. I loved the natural beauty of the two islands being surrounded by a beautiful large lake. I took over 300 pictures and each one was breath-taking. My goal was to get away and clear my head and it was the perfect place for this. There were numerous chairs placed in some of the best areas to sit and reflect. The Anarondack Camp Style lodge and other buildings have a refined rustic feel. If a few cobwebs, etc. bother you, don't go. That isn't to say that the place is dirty - it's not. But the cabin-type environment can have them. If you need to be entertained, don't go. But if beauty of nature, cozy fires in a large stone fireplace surrounded by comfy chairs sounds good, this is your place. I felt like I had a rich uncle that told me to come to his estate and make myself at home. I didn't want to leave. The staff was awesome and very down to earth.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Karen T
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Stout's Island Lodge is a beautiful place with a lot of history that is fascinating. We enjoyed our stay but I must say it is a bit rundown in areas. We stayed in two lodge rooms on the second floor, had our own screen porch and had the floor to ourselves. The rooms were old fashioned and nice but could use some work, especially in the bathrooms. I guess for $200+ a night I expect things to be in very good condition. Our first night at dinner was mediocre at best. I am truly not a picky eater but, for example, we ordered the appetizer pizza's and they were small, extremely tough with the bare minimum for ingredients (all for $10.50 ea). I've really never had a bad pizza in my life but this was it. We discovered the Tagalong Country Club the following night (the great guys driving the pantoons took us over). They have wonderful food and service for a great price. I talked with a lot of people that came to Stout's Island on the ferry just for dinner and really enjoyed it. My entire family enjoyed the weekend but I wouldn't recommend it for kids. The swimming area is not for young kids. It's rocky and drops off to 8 feet at the dock. All in all, we enjoyed the feeling of going back in time and truly got some good R&R which everyone can use.

• Liked — A beautiful place to relax
  • Disliked — The lack of maintenance in the lodge and expensive, mediocre food
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Diane024
NJ
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Not only is Stouts Lodge one of the most beautiful locations I have ever been to, but the staff made the experience that much better. I was there for 3 days for a weekend wedding and the staff was accomodating in every aspect and went above and beyond to make sure all the guests had the best experience possible. Some of the cabins are older than others but it all depends on you personal taste. I got a little bit of everything when I was there: Canoeing, BBQ, nature walk, Beautiful scenery, great food, R&R, and not to mention that great 10 minute ferry ride it takes to get there.

Truly a special place!

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Mouse in the room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank kkretschy
Ashland, OR
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Stout's Lodge has been a mainstay for our family's summer vacation for the past 10 years. The rustic enchantment of this idyllic island welcomes us back every year.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Comfort
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank EHunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birchwood
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
BEST WESTERN Inn
BEST WESTERN Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Gathering Place Resort & Lodge

Been to Stout's Island Lodge? Share your experiences!