“First time here, won't be the last.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birchwood
Stout's Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Birchwood B&B and Inns
Exeland, Wi
“First time here, won't be the last.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our first stay at Stout Island Lodge even though we only live 15 miles away. I feel that two reviews are necessary, so I'll review the accommodations in this review and the restaurant in another. From the minute we stepped on the pontoon boat for the trip over to the island, everything was perfect. The pontoon driver loaded our bags, completed our check-in, gave a tour and history of the island and lodge, and took our bags to our cabin. He was a very nice young man (Wow, does that make me sound old or what!) and was very helpful as was all the lodge staff. We stayed in the Allison 2 which is the second floor of one of the original cabins. It has been remodeled but retains its rustic charm. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on and the chairs were as nice as you would have in your own home (not like motel chairs). The lodge is like a trip back in time (in a good way) and the grounds are gorgeous. We walked the entire property which consists of two islands connected by a foot bridge, the second being a nature trail. The entire walk is about two miles. Truly a great place to stay.

Room Tip: View on-line pics and descriptions because some rooms/cabins have better views than others and some...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I loved my stay. I went with husband and teenagers. I loved the old feel of lodge...relaxing. The kids had to unplug but had fun with croquet ,ping pong etc. The out building are more modern but I loved the lodge. Some equipment older but the gardens and rooms so nice. I would recommend . WI FI only in lodge and limited food so bring your own Breakfast nice and the dinner was goood..pricey but nice .

Room Tip: Lodge older rooms but air . Mosquitos not problem screened in porch. The out buildings more roomy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KTM
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This is our second trip to Stout's Island, this one as the start of our honeymoon. We brought a number of family and friends with us this time and every single one of our guests agreed - Stout's is a magical and special place, charming, relaxing, totally unique, restful, fun, and unlike anywhere else we have ever visited. The staff are outstanding, as is the food, rooms, ambience, and surroundings. We will visit many more times, and simply love Stout's Island.

• Stayed June 2014
mpls
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We loved everything.from the pontoon ride over to the pontoon ride back. We swam in the clean clear water, we ate in the cozy restaurant & patio outdoors. We enjoyed the bonfire. We walked the labyrinth , we kayaked. Don't miss the nature trail - water was very high this year so the trail is narrow, but magical! All the staff was so friendly and helpful

Room Tip: We LOVED our room w/ a private porch (main lodge #6 on 2nd floor). The birds were very loud in the a...
Hugo, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I believe that stouts island was at one time, an outstanding adirondack lodge...however, fast forward several decades later and although extremely rustic, it is but a shell of the grand place it once was.
The grounds were adequately kept, however the facilities have endured years of deferred maintenance.
We decided to take a "nature" walk over the bridge, only to find that the bridge was broken and the decking had shifted a foot, which unnoticed could be the cause of a very serious accident.
This is just one of many examples of neglect. We noticed an employee spending two days repairing the clay tennis courts, while this bridge presented a much larger hazard.
The continental breakfast was very limited and disappointing in its presentation.
The only fruit available was a bowl of brown spotty oranges. The granola ran out at 9am, only to not be replaced.
Stouts lodge has all of the elements to be an amazing vacation spot, however due to the overall condition of the resort and a sense of over promising and under-delivering, it leaves you yearning for what it could become.

2 Thank Habra2014
Island_of_Happy_Days, Guest Relations Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Habra2014,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is invaluable to hear positives and negatives from every one of our guests.

I can assure you that we constantly trying to update, improve, and restore the lodge and all the structures on its grounds. It is an enormous task--and there are certainly some things that still need to be addressed. It can be endless with a building that is over 100 years old. Just recently we sanded down the lodge's exterior to rid it of moss build-up.

The tennis court is a clay court that requires weekly maintenance to maintain or it will fall into disrepair. To prevent this, our staff does tend to the court often. However, this is not done in lieu of repairing that bridge. In fact, we are working very hard to have it repaired. The bridge was donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1915 and remains a historical landmark today. As such, it must be repaired by someone beyond the talents of our regular staff and we must also stay in line with certain regulations and restrictions to repair it. In the meantime, it is structurally sound.

I apologize for your experience with our breakfast. Our chef makes homemade granola, custom blended yogurt, and pastries for the breakfast. Sub-quality fruit should not be used on be buffet or for guests and I have passed along these instructions to our kitchen.

I hope this helps bring some perceptive and I look forward to further communication with you to address any additional concerns. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will consider staying with us again sometime in the future.

Warm regards,

Emily Riechers
Manager
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Following my daughter's wedding in St. Paul on 6/26/14, the bridal party, parents, and close friends and family all descended on Stout's Island for a little R & R. It was a delightful 2 days and great relief to finally relax. We lucked out with the weather and particularly enjoyed our late dinners at the lodge (good chef) and relaxing around the piano in the drawing room afterward before s'mores around a camp fire and a late night plunge in the lake for the young and hearty. I noticed several parties on the ferry to and from were traveling from quite a distance including our family - Santa Fe, Seattle, San Francisco and London. It's a very special place, and I look forward to a return visit some day. I took one of the recently remodeled suites while my kids decided to take one of the vintage rooms. Everyone was happy. I was particularly happy that the late night dining was reserved for adults only, and the lakeside lodge was also for adults only.

Room Tip: This depends on whether or not you like 40's vintage or something modern. I'm told that eac...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Writing this from my lunch table. Resort is great and quaint, but food service is awful. Surprising, since the owners own a good restaurant in St. Paul.

Dinner was limited and consistent with a mid tier chain. At breakfast at 9am, I asked for something off the menu and was told that the cook was "going to a meeting " and I would have to hurry and might not get my breakfast. This being an island , we didn't have any other options.

Lunch was similarly disorganized and not very good . This is a great property, but needs to invest in real management.

Stayed June 2014
Island_of_Happy_Days, Guest Relations Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Worldtravtokyo,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the problems you experienced.

I am also disappointed by your experience in our restaurant, and I assure you that steps have been taken immediately to improve the quality of the experience our guests receive in our restaurant. We will be introducing a new menu very shortly, and have made appropriate staffing adjustments effective immediately. I hope the next time you dine with us that you have a better experience.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Regards,

Emily Riechers
Manager
Stout's Island Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birchwood
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
Gathering Place Resort & Lodge
Pullman Motel
Pullman Motel
#6 of 8 in Rice Lake

Been to Stout's Island Lodge? Share your experiences!