Stout's Island Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Birchwood
See available hotels
Birchwood Motel(Birchwood)
Pullman Motel(Rice Lake)
View Hotel
Best Western Inn(Rice Lake)
View Hotel
All reviewswater bikesboat housestout's islandadirondack chairslawn gamesnature trailupstate new yorkgreat roombison burgerstout islandother guestsstep back in timetwin citiesgreat lawnevery eveningfire pitprivate deck
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I went to Stout's Island Lodge for an OLLI seminar, so our group used their meeting space, enjoyed their out doors beauty and ate their wonderful food. The staff bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk much, ask for the main lodge. Otherwise, the outer "cabins' are charming and well appointed!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I have to give it a very good rating, as it is so beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. The rustic boathouse, the log built lodge, and the grounds are beautiful. You can use the canoes, kayaks, and peddle bike free of charge. Breakfast is free. They have bonfires at night, and a trail to hike. We also got a $50.00 dining credit as part of our deal. Our room had a sitting area separate from the bedroom, and a small area with sink, and separate shower, and toilet. The bad part was that I had no hot water for my shower in the morning, and our room smelled when we first walked in. I thought by opening the windows and airing it out it would improve. It did not. Some windows you couldn't open due to all the cobwebs between the window, and screen. Some cobwebs I would expect as it's an island, surrounded by trees. We found the source of the smell when we went to bed. It was the pillows. They smelled like a dirty dishrag. Finding 2 suitable pillows was difficult. I wrapped a beach towel around my pillow to sleep. We told the front desk right away in the am about the shower, and the pillow smell. We asked to have new pillows, and or new pillow cases at the least. By 5:00 when they weren't replaced we asked again, and within a few minutes the gentleman working in the office brought us some. Given that it rained a lot of the time we were there, we also found a large puddle outside our door between the rooms. We think it was coming from the ceiling and running down the wall, this we reported to the wait staff upon noticing it as the office was closed. I wish I had picked a different room, and would have liked to see some of the out cottages. Our room was near the kitchen so our view out one window was of bags of garbage in bins, and a woodpile. We also had the hum of a refrigerator, or air conditioner running. Hard to hear the crickets and loons unless you were in the sitting room. The dining options were on the expensive side, and the menu was the same basically for lunch and dinner. Each day they ran out of items. When a large party checked in on Monday night, breakfast food the next day was pretty much gone by 8:30. The waiter said it would be 30-45 minutes for more items. I wondered why they didn't plan ahead, and it seemed only 1 waiter was working to handle the breakfast shift. But it was fun playing ping pong, billiards, croquet, and reading when it was raining. You can't beat the views.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This place has so much potential
We were there for a wedding and the place was wonderful. Beautiful, fun, lots of activities. The only problem was the fun police. One of the owners was just terrible. She broke up out bon fire at 12:00 and told everyone they had to go back to our rooms. I would understand if there were other guests, however we rented the entire island. The staff took our drinks because they weren't purchased from the lodge and they were searching guests for drugs. (We didn't have drugs, they just didn't like how we looked). Like I said, tons of potential but just horrible owners. The wedding planner was flipping out about it too. Very difficult to work with. All in all, leave it as a fun weekend get away. I wouldn't do a wedding there.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Bryan321
Island_of_Happy_Days, Guest Relations Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Dear Bryan321,

In accordance with our liquor license, drinks must be purchased from our lodge so that we are able to control the level of intoxication of our guests and make sure they are not a danger to themselves or others. I apologize if this caused any inconveniences to you, but it is for your own safety. If you were asked to go back to your rooms, it is because several individuals were not obeying this rule and appeared overly intoxicated and a likely danger to themselves and others.

I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Regards,

Emily Riechers
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I did not stay here. I visited here, so my review may not be as intimate as others however I got a really good bird's eye view of this place. My wife owns a beauty agency (www.WarPaintInternational.com) and her team was hired to come to Stout's Island Lodge to prepare a bridal party for their wedding day. This was an early Saturday morning so I agreed to be the driver for the day and check this place out, while stopping for lunch on the way back.

Upon arriving to the address in the middle of nowhere in Birchwood, WI, we came to a small cabin on a lake with a sign that stated the ferry ran on the hour. So we waited and explored. Once the boat arrived, we all piled on it and took a ten minute excursion into the abyss which brought us to a covered boat port. After getting out and climbing up some wooden stairs we were at the lodge. I don't want to over extend your expectations here - this is a lodge resort in the woods. It's been there a while; it has moss growing on the roof and its eclectic. It's definitely lake living. But it's perfect.

I sat in the great room for a while when the girls were preparing the bride and wedding party for their day. I watched carefully as the staff did their diligence in preparing the the facility, the people, and guests, and attended to other items. There was a small buffet breakfast in the cafe, in which the employees offered me to freely enjoy even though I was not a paying guest there. I only indulged in coffee :-) Later, I wandered the grounds in which I found that these rooms are quaint and tucked into the woods with modern amenities. The property itself is pretty expansive with plenty of grass area for kids to play, adults to roll out games or throw a ball, hiking trails, canoes, and other water sport activities, and their own private boat docks to catch some sun on or sail off on something for the day.

The night time, bonfire pit on this property is property worth the journey alone (I've attached my photo). All this being said, it is a backwoods cabin style resort. It's been there a long time and operates family style - it is not a Surf side on the North shore, so don't expect luxury when you arrive. It's a place that hidden but not too far.. that offers piece, tranquility, and home down goodness. The only that could make this place better is nude sun bathing, since it is so secluded. (in my opinion). My wife had one other comment; she said the room that the lodge offers for a wedding party, for example, to get ready was lacking natural light and artificial light. It made their jobs harder and longer as hair and makeup professionals, having to walk clients out into the sunlight to see what they've done, then go back in to where their chairs and gear were. It's just a detail they haven't thought of, but the idea here is is simply "drift away". That's what they are offering.

I'll be going back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We've stayed in other properties on this lake many times, but this was our first time at Stout's Island. The resort is a charming old property in the middle of large, deep Red Cedar Lake. It's very attractive and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice, although the shower stall was kind of tiny and there was no tub. We were very grateful for the air conditioning (not all rooms have it) because it was a hot, sticky weekend. We were told our room was the only one with a television, but we never used it. There is no wifi in the rooms, but it is available in the bar area, which is open 24/7. Our room also included a nice kitchenette, which was nice. The idea behind this place is to relax and unwind, and this is a nice place to do it. Bring something to read, grab a chair overlooking the lake and enjoy.
As for the restaurant, we were VERY disappointed. My wife ordered a pasta Alfredo dish and it was unacceptably bad. It tasted like Lipton Instant Noodles gone very wrong. My fish tacos were very diisappointing as well. Not only was the food B.A.D., but it was extremely pricey. If you choose to stay here, I highly recommend going ashore to eat. There aren't a lot of tremendous choices, (The Pizza Den is pretty good.) but at least you're not paying fancy restaurant prices for a plates of microwaved crap.

Room Tip: Make sure you get A/C and a kitchenette if those things are important to you. We had a nice porch, but the mosquitos were pretty mean. I believe some rooms have screened-in porches.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple