“Registration chaos”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birchwood
Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Birchwood B&B and Inns
Podgora, Croatia
“Registration chaos”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Be aware that the cancellation policy is not as represented on the website. When we needed to get in touch we were not recontacted at a... and eventually heard a change of "it's not my fault" from the owner.

Breakfast was ok, but hearing about the owners medical problems through all of breakfast time was not what we expected.

The upstairs room was too hot and made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alias1234
, Owner at Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
In 18 years of business I have received my first bad review. I remember this person well. The reason behind the registration chaos began with his trying to cancel last minute. When I replyed with my cancellation policy he told me he never received it. I belong to resnexus reservation system and this is how it works. There is a box you check you have read and agree to the policy. You are then sent a copy of your confirmation and I receive it after you so I know you have read and agree to the policy. When he called to try to cancel the day before arrival and tried to get out of the agreement he told me he never received the confirmation. Untrue, impossible. As far as the room too warm, they ran the thermo massage tub for over and hour and a half. My girlfriend asked me what all the banging was that was going on upstairs and I told her it sounded like they were trying to open the windows, but because the humidity were swollen shut. The conversation the next morning was of his wife whom he told me had M.S.. I was coversating with her on the similairities of my own disease, I guess he did not care to hear but she seamed reseptive. To my suprise when I read this responce I was shocked because he referred to himself as Dr.......... . By the way he was not a doctor but had a phd in counceling. Maybe that was where my confusion came in in the first place. All in all he did not pay sales tax, he siad he was tax exempt and I did not charge him the 35.00 fee. I howver had tro pay his sales tax, because he ran part of the bill by card before he came adn did not tell me he was tax exempt toill after he came. I believe the chaos was not only in the registration.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

It's a classic looking B&B, a converted late 19th century house on a tranquil corner at the edge of a tiny town. We really felt like we were staying in someone's home instead of a small hotel. Our room, including the bed, was comfortable. Breakfast was good, and plentiful. Two ladies, the owner and her assistant, were both friendly and helpful.

The cats are also friendly. Whether they are helpful or not is another matter. One cat slept with another guest, who apparently enjoyed the company. I'm not a pet person, so they didn't enhance my experience any.

On a Friday night, the bars down main street were more boisterous than one might expect in a small town, not that they were loud enough to keep us awake.

Compared to similar B&Bs, this one is a little spendy, though hardly ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We had a fantastic time staying at the Cobblestone B&B. The place is beautifully decorated. Our family stayed in three rooms, each more charming than the last. The beds were all very comfortable and everything was spotless. We had a great time playing games in the living room and sitting outside in the backyard. The owner had an emergency on the day we arrived and was not able to be there during our visit. However, the woman (I'm sorry that I forgot her name) who covered for her was fantastic! She took wonderful care of us, which included making a delicious breakfast. I highly recommend Cobblestone (plus it is pet friendly!).

Room Tip: We stayed in 3 different rooms, two on the upper level and one on the lower level. All 3 were wonde...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank HenryDL
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Just got back from this cute bed and breakfast. Our trip was with another couple and we were upgraded to the lower lodge which was perfect for us. It had two bedrooms next to each other, a living room space and breakfast space, very private.

The place, really cute and charming. It is very well kept and maintained. Very very clean. the bathroom was clean, the living space was clean, and the bedsheets were clean and smelled very fresh.

The owner, Mary Lou, was very nice. Since she didn't have anybody in the rooms prior or after (we only stayed one night) she didn't care when we checked in or out. So that was a huge plus to not have to wait until the afternoon the check in. There was another person that helped Mary Lou, she was also very nice and helpful. They are both very personable.

The breakfast was delicious. That day, they were serving eggs benedict, but we also had muffins, frappes, coffee, fruit, and hashbrowns. All very delicious.

Birchwood is a cute little town. While we were there, there was a local festival two blocks down from where the B&B was. We hung out for awhile at the beer tent and listened to the local blues band. Spooner is a bigger city that is 30 minutes North. That was the real reason we were in the area. We had tickets to the Dinner Train Excursion in Spooner.

Overall, no complaints with the B&B, my husband loved it, and the other couple we were with loved it too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cityslicker_pow
DSM, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

Cobblestone B&B is in a small town right out of "Doc Hollywood". One of the nights I was there, the local ice cream shop(across the street) had the fire pit burning, the wrap around deck full of chairs and a female barbershop group singing outside. It drew a nice size crowd, but I stayed with my pup on the Cobblestone's lovely front porch sipping local wine while listening to the small town charm!

Cobblestone itself offers fabulous rooms with interesting nooks and spacious bathrooms! Things are not cramped and feel quite private--always my worry with B&Bs--how much privacy?
As for Mary Lou--she is lovely! She will do anything for you and will try to fill any requests. I needed fresh veggies for my evening dinner--she was offering things from her garden galore! She has fabulous taste and the place is decorated wonderfully, but not cluttered. The bedroom decor is just right! Check out her gift shop too, the soy/beeswax candles are so wonderful!

Final note--if you want a lot of space and have your pup--ask for the lower level. You'll have your own entrance, a little kitchen, bathroom and nice living area. I didn't have to worry about wet paws or disturbing others for our late night outing. If you are a runner--head left from the Cobblestone (south I believe) down the country road toward the local cemetery. Nice, country run.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank cre8verunner
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our little getaway. The bed was so comfortable I actually slept through the night. The next day Mary Lou was able to direct us to a few different places in Hayward. When we got back we found a lot of comfortable benchs and chairs in the yard to enjoy a spring day. My wife like the little gift shop, and in the evening Mary Lou let us borrow a Bob Dylan movie called "I'm not there" We look forward to heading up north to Mary Lou with very soon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
madison wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

By the time we left The Cobblestone Bed & Breakfast hide away at the Rice Lake Hayward area in Birchwood, Wisconsin we were hankering to go back. Why? Well, many reasons that are encompassed by the personable host Mary Lou with her beautiful and historical turn-of-the-century home.It was designed and built by Anthony Wise Sr., grandfather of the late Tony Wise, founder of the largest North American ski race, the American Birkebeiner .
But back to bed and breakfast and why The Cobblestone should be on your list of destination B&Bs even if you’re not planning to be in the area or to use it as a convenient stopover. For one thing Mary Lou is committed and it shows. Mary Lou turned these rooms into many dreamy, comfortable, clean, detailed pieces of art. We stayed in the “English Garden Suite”, the room included a king sized bed which was the most comfortable bed we ever slept in, a private bath, a 2 person whirlpool hot tub and a cozy adjoining spare room with two twin sized beds and crib with tons of soft safe toys and books. The Pièce de résistance was the fireplace! Not far is the little, quaint town of Hayward that had a grand selection of shops for any budget with eclectic or simple tastes. We spent this beautiful crisp autumn day shopping, dining out and seeing some historical landmarks, Retuning to the Cobblestone, our host Mary Lou made us feel more than at home and we headed for a nap with a blazing fireplace and a genuine overall feeling of peace!
Another compelling reason to come has to do with the ‘girl loves to cook’ part. Along with juice and coffee/tea your main course might be something like eggs Benedict or French toast but it probably won’t be predictable. For example, that French toast will be anything but generic; how does pineapple upside down French toast sound. Or blueberry streusel French toast? Other dishes are equally yummy; Mary Lou’s breakfasts were made with pure kindness and thought.
In back of the Cobblestone is a beautifully merchandised gift shop filled with anything for anyone with impeccable taste and prices more than reasonable.
So, as you can see, things fell into place quite perfectly and I attribute it all to the Cobblestone Bed & Breakfast where we will spend many more peaceful adventures!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birchwood
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
BEST WESTERN Inn
BEST WESTERN Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Gathering Place Resort & Lodge

Been to Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!